Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Big 12 (10) Getting Serious About Expansion...Who Wants In?

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

LGBT groups: Admitting BYU would be 'inconsistent' with Big 12 values

In the letter, dated Aug. 8, Athlete Ally, a non-profit organization that raises LGBT awareness in sports, sent a letter to Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby to express its concerns about the Big 12 candidacy of BYU, which is owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"As organizations committed to ending homophobia, biphobia and transphobia both on and off the field of play, we are deeply troubled by this possibility," the letter reads. "We feel it would be extremely problematic to include BYU in your conference expansion."

BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe issued a statement Tuesday on Twitter, saying the school welcomes "LGBT players, coaches and fans."
    I just find it amusing that BYU's AD is a Holmoe. Maybe these activist groups are displaying Holmoephobia.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

After one week of the "Join The Big XII Sweepstakes", here's the up-to-date standings:

1. Houston (1-0) Probably the best win any Big 12 candidate will have all season. Their ticket is all but punched.
    2. BYU (1-0) Beating PAC-12 Arizona on the road is a solid win. We knew they could play football.
    3. South Alabama (1-0) They didn't apply but maybe they should have after bouncing SEC's Mississippi St. Congrats to the Jaguars for the biggest win in their short history.
    4. San Diego State (1-0) Gave TCU all they could handle for three quarters in 59-41 loss. Oh, wait. That was South Dakota State, not San Diego State. The REAL San Diego State blanked New Hampshire 31-0 but everyone is going to think that "SD ST" on the scoreboard was the Aztecs. Way to keep them guessing.
    5. Tulane (0-1) Brain school lost by just four on the road to ACC's Wake Forest. Grading on the curve here.

Teams that lost ground:
    1. Colorado St. (0-1) Drubbed by Colorado 44-7 shows they aren't ready for prime time.
    2. Rice (0-1) Spanked by Western Kentucky 46-14. Nice baseball program though.
    3. Cincinnati (1-0) Your competition is beating Oklahoma and Arizona while you're struggling with Tennessee-Martin. Not a great first impression.
    4. UConn (1-0). Edged Maine, 24-21. Yes, Maine.
    5. Northern Illinois (0-1). Lost in OT to Wyoming. There goes that invite.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

This won't be a football decision.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I'm still holding out the faintest of hope that Tulane could get in. They have a ways to go in athletics obviously, but they would add the new orleans market and obviously raise the academic profile of the conference.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Did Texas win their audition to stay in the Big IX?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

I'd like to see Houston and BYU.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

FWIW, Tim Brando says they should grab Houston, BYU, Cincinnati and Memphis and "be done with it." Can't disagree much with that.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    FWIW, Tim Brando says they should grab Houston, BYU, Cincinnati and Memphis and "be done with it." Can't disagree much with that.
    Memphis has already been cut from the list for consideration.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Good catch. There are 11 schools left on the list according to the AP: BYU, Air Force, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Colorado State, Houston, Rice, SMU, South Florida and Tulane. That knocks out Memphis, Boise State, New Mexico, East Carolina and San Diego State among others.

From the AP story, academic ranking is part of the equation and all the remainder are among the top 200. I can't imagine Rice or SMU getting in and Houston getting left out and I don't think anyone outside Texas would want conference expansion to both take place in the same state so we can pretty well eliminate those two. I think they are left on the list for political purposes. Tulane would only make sense if they expand by four. Ditto for Air Force. If only two are taken, we are left with BYU, Houston, Cincinnati and maybe a Florida school.

I thought the list got shortened from 10 to 6 or 8.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

You expect a conference that calls itself the Big 12 but has only 10 members to be able to count?

13. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

You expect a conference that calls itself the Big 12 but has only 10 members to be able to count?
    What should they call themselves exactly? Big 10 is taken, and any different name would probably change their brand more than they would like.

Good catch. There are 11 schools left on the list according to the AP: BYU, Air Force, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Colorado State, Houston, Rice, SMU, South Florida and Tulane. That knocks out Memphis, Boise State, New Mexico, East Carolina and San Diego State among others.

From the AP story, academic ranking is part of the equation and all the remainder are among the top 200. I can't imagine Rice or SMU getting in and Houston getting left out and I don't think anyone outside Texas would want conference expansion to both take place in the same state so we can pretty well eliminate those two. I think they are left on the list for political purposes. Tulane would only make sense if they expand by four. Ditto for Air Force. If only two are taken, we are left with BYU, Houston, Cincinnati and maybe a Florida school.
    Academic ranking my butt. It's all about media markets and recruiting.

16. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

The Little 10 would work.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information