Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Big 12 (10) Getting Serious About Expansion...Who Wants In?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Who the hell cares if the BYU players are older and won't play on Sunday? Is that the best you could find on them?
    Those are issues to opposing schools. BYU's refusal to play games on Sundays creates havoc with other sports like basketball and baseball. Mormon men are required to serve two years as missionaries so they are often 22-24 when they are seniors, not 21 like most schools. The difference being a player that is more physically and emotionally mature.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Those are issues to opposing schools. BYU's refusal to play games on Sundays creates havoc with other sports like basketball and baseball. Mormon men are required to serve two years as missionaries so they are often 22-24 when they are seniors, not 21 like most schools. The difference being a player that is more physically and emotionally mature.
    Are they afraid BYU's mature players will dominate?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

In a word, yes. They manhandled the Longhorns both times they played recently and also beat up Oklahoma a few years ago.

But if that doesn't resonate, here's a view of another poster for keeping BYU out:

Candidates can't include anti LGBT BYU. Did you see what happened in Charlotte? No more All Star game.

In a word, yes. They manhandled the Longhorns both times they played recently and also beat up Oklahoma a few years ago.

But if that doesn't resonate, here's a view of another poster for keeping BYU out:
    How old are you, Hoof?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

http://www.campusrush.com/big-12-exp...943319231.html

Commissioner Bob Bowlsby was answering a question last week about the fallout from the scandal at Baylor when he spoke these words, but they could be repurposed to serve as the Big 12's motto.

"To say that we have a vision for what the end game is," Bowlsby said, "would not be accurate."

A shotgun wedding during a period of realignment upheaval 20 years ago created this dysfunctional family, and now the league's presidents plan to enlarge it either to secure its future or to make one last furious cash grab before it explodes. Which is it? They don't know. That would require a vision for the end game. And even if the Big 12 presidents have some clue what that end game is, they probably can't agree upon it. This is, after all, the Big 12.

What we do know is the presidents authorized Bowlsby to evaluate candidates for expansion even though no combination of the schools apparently available to the Big 12 can help secure the league's future long-term. We also know that ACC commissioner John Swofford, who is a ninja and who did help secure the long-term future of his league by expanding, never announced when he planned to take schools. He just took them. But the Big 12 doesn't operate that way. Everything must be a spectacle, including the politicking created by the expansion announcement.

Evaluating the merits of potential candidates requires at least some idea of the ultimate goal, and there are a few possibilities …
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

No, there's no clear vision here. As I've read more, however, Oklahoma's price for staying in the conference and not bolting elsewhere is more teams and a conference championship game. They also want to dismantle the Longhorn Network but there's still no compelling reason for Texas to do that.

Also, I am reading that UCLA and Arizona are dissatisfied in the PAC-12 and might bolt (ironically, part of Arizona's dissatisfaction is with UCLA so it is unlikely they would leave together). Keep in mind Texas' AD came from Arizona. I don't see any schools leaving the Pac-12 but, as long as the Big XII exists, schools can use the threat of moving to the Big XII as a way to get concessions from the league.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Notre Dame's contract with the ACC calls for 4-6 ACC games on their schedule each year and the Irish can do what they want with the rest of the games. They also, I believe, do not take part in the ACC conference championship game.

Because of Notre Dame, the ACC is the only other P5 conference that allows schools to have their own tv deals - and they currently have 15 schools for football.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The ACC also has a Grant of Rights with its 14 main schools through the 2036 season. It's now one of the most stable conferences. The Big 12 remains the most unstable, which is why Oklahoma wants to get rid of the Longhorn Network for a Big 12 Network. It'd be the smart, long term move.

Arizona and UCLA in the Big 12 is a pipe dream.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The Ft. Worth Star-Telegram reports Arizona, Arizona St., Colorado and UCLA are all disenchanted with their Pac-12 deals and may bolt, but I agree, Mo, that it is probably just a threat and nothing more - a way to leverage a better deal.

CBS Sports claims from multiple sources that the Big XII will announce their decision before the Big XII opener, which is September 2nd.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo...f-2016-season/

Reading several sites, if the decision is two schools, the favorites are Houston and an eastern school - Cincinnati, Memphis or UConn - to pair with West Virginia (one said the ACC would be nuts not to poach UConn as their 16th team given their location and basketball heritage). A two-school addition leaves room for the Big XII to poach disgruntled PAC-12 schools.

If they do 4 schools, and they don't poach from the PAC, the winners are probably BYU, Houston, one Eastern school (see above paragraph) and one Western school (probably Colorado St. or Boise St) as a western partner for BYU. There is also the possibility that BYU and/or Boise St. could be admitted as "football only".

The Ft. Worth Star-Telegram reports Arizona, Arizona St., Colorado and UCLA are all disenchanted with their Pac-12 deals and may bolt, but I agree, Mo, that it is probably just a threat and nothing more - a way to leverage a better deal.

CBS Sports claims from multiple sources that the Big XII will announce their decision before the Big XII opener, which is September 2nd.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo...f-2016-season/

Reading several sites, if the decision is two schools, the favorites are Houston and an eastern school - Cincinnati, Memphis or UConn - to pair with West Virginia (one said the ACC would be nuts not to poach UConn as their 16th team given their location and basketball heritage). A two-school addition leaves room for the Big XII to poach disgruntled PAC-12 schools.

If they do 4 schools, and they don't poach from the PAC, the winners are probably BYU, Houston, one Eastern school (see above paragraph) and one Western school (probably Colorado St. or Boise St) as a western partner for BYU. There is also the possibility that BYU and/or Boise St. could be admitted as "football only".
    Boise and BYU makes sense. Salt Lake is a big media market and Boise would provide a local travel partner. Boise and BYU already have an agreement to play each other for the next four years.

Boise has high level gymnastics and wrestling. They compete in the PAC 12 in those two sports.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

You could have an East Division with West Virginia, Cincinnati and the five Texas schools and a West Division of BYU, Boise (or CSU), and the 5 leftovers of the Big 8 and it would make for quite a few compelling matchups. They'd have to still have Texas and Oklahoma meet every year but some scheduling trick could be worked out for that.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

......UCLA, Michigan, and Missouri would disagree the men among boys aren't beatable. Hell, Michigan beat the snot out of BYU. If Texas wouldn't be such a narcissistic University, perhaps the conference wouldn't be in disarray. I didn't include Utah, because I'm sure there are Mormons on the team.

13. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    ......UCLA, Michigan, and Missouri would disagree the men among boys aren't beatable. Hell, Michigan beat the snot out of BYU. If Texas wouldn't be such a narcissistic University, perhaps the conference wouldn't be in disarray. I didn't include Utah, because I'm sure there are Mormons on the team.
    How many torpedoes in are you bro? I'm having a hard time following this one.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    How many torpedoes in are you bro? I'm having a hard time following this one.
    Perhaps you need to tame that migraine. Follow along in the comments and perhaps you'll comprehend. BTW.....one 12 oz

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Perhaps you need to tame that migraine. Follow along in the comments and perhaps you'll comprehend. BTW.....one 12 oz
    I have followed along in the comments, and yes I do need to tame the migraine. I'd be having at least a 22 if I was motivated enough to go to the store.

I didn't mean to insult you.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information