Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mason's Mailbag: Elway, Broncos still in good cap shape for future

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

I like stewart but we have 2 new young draft picks. If syewart is exended its a yr oror two at most.

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Stewart before Sly. Sly hasn't proven much IMO.
    Safety is way easier to find imo. Had we not lost Malik then I would agree with you but both? Doubt it.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

Simmons and Kilgo will likely determine Stewart and Wiiliams fate with their play this season. Elway has done a great job adding depth to this team.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post
    Simmons and Kilgo will likely determine Stewart and Wiiliams fate with their play this season. Elway has done a great job adding depth to this team.
    Kilgo played less and less as the season went on. When William got hurt against the Patriots Walker was moved to nose tackle rather than plugging in Kilgo.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Kilgo played for Wade Phillips old DL coach in college, you'd think he's ready to contribute this year.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Do you think it will be detrimental to the Broncos to give Von Miller all he wants on his contract? If he has all the front end loaded guaranties and gets hurt again, won't it adversely impact the Broncos ability to sign other players?

-- Roger Mackey

No, because you don't have the significant cap figure devoted to the quarterback position that most teams have.

One ancillary benefit of being unable to re-sign Brock Osweiler and eventually draft Paxton Lynch was in the cash and cap savings. From a cash perspective, the Broncos could save $62.5 million over the next four years if both Osweiler and Lynch play out their contracts.

There are 17 quarterbacks in the league whose average annual outlay is at least $18 million. If Lynch or Trevor Siemian ends up seizing the long-term starting job, the Broncos won't have to worry about this sort of commitment for the next three years (and if Lynch becomes the long-term quarterback, their years with a cost-controlled quarterback will extend through 2020 because of the fifth-year option on first-round picks, if the Broncos exercise it).
    Denver Post makes the same case I've been making for months now. Broncos lucked out when Osweiler refused the Broncos $16M a year offer ($30M guaranteed). IF Paxton Lynch works out, they are getting a bargain basement $ QB for 4 years and that will save them enough to re-sign any other veterans they want.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Denver Post makes the same case I've been making for months now. Broncos lucked out when Osweiler refused the Broncos $16M a year offer ($30M guaranteed). IF Paxton Lynch works out, they are getting a bargain basement $ QB for 4 years and that will save them enough to re-sign any other veterans they want.
    Lol. What a lie.

You freaked the **** out when he wouldn't pay Osweiler.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

IF Paxton works out, then yeah..absolutely. It's how the Seahawks were able to build their team up so strong and sign their players. Their top QB was making peanuts in comparison to every other team in the playoffs with their top-tier QB. But finding that guy isn't that easy. A lot of luck is involved.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Lol. What a lie.

You freaked the **** out when he wouldn't pay Osweiler.
    Remember when we were all a bunch of idiots for thinking Osweiler might see some meaningful snaps last season?
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information