Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mason's Mailbag: Elway, Broncos still in good cap shape for future

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Mason's Mailbag: Elway, Broncos still in good cap shape for future

With the re-signing of players like Von Miller and Brandon Marshall, how can we re-sign people like Emmanuel Sanders and Darian Stewart with our salary cap being so low?

-- Caleb Rabon

First, it's not low.

According to overthecap.com, the Broncos have $39.379 million in salary-cap space for 2017 with a projected cap of $166 million (and that includes the commitment if they pick up the option on left tackle Russell Okung). That gives them more cap space than 18 other teams are projected to have right now. So if they want both Sanders and Stewart, there is room.

It will be crucial for the Broncos to hit on as many draft picks and other young acquisitions as possible so they don't need to gobble up what is left of the cap space to fill holes that are not yet projected.
    rest - other stuff also - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...c-14033302cc65

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Which is why we probably need to sign Sanders asap. I know he isn't happy with his contract situation and wants to be here long term. He should be our next priority. Then maybe Sly Williams and Stewart.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

4. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Stewart before Sly. Sly hasn't proven much IMO.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

6. The Following 4 Users High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    I thought he played pretty well last year.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 07-18-2016 at 11:48 AM.

8. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

I would agree, but assuming he pans out...I think the Justin Simmons draft pick might eliminate the need for a long term Stewart deal.

10. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Sly ate a lot of double teams last year, probably more than Malik did. I think he played pretty well.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

If the FO thought Sly was worth extending they would have picked up his 5th year option, they didn't.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I think Sly has performed well - it's just that Stewart has performed better and Sly's skillset is more valuable in a 3-4.

15. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    If the FO thought Sly was worth extending they would have picked up his 5th year option, they didn't.
    THe Broncos would have had to pay the average of the 3rd-25th highest paid players at DT if they wanted to use the 5th year option on Sly. He's a good NT, but I understand if the don't want to pay him that much.

17. The Following 4 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

What team did Clady go to?

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    What team did Clady go to?
    The Jets

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Not necessarily. From what I have heard his numbers for the 5th year is higher than they want it to be.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 07-18-2016 at 08:32 PM.

21. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I remember people being worried about who plays NT in the new 3-4 defense this time last year, Syl Wil answered.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Sly ate a lot of double teams last year, probably more than Malik did. I think he played pretty well.
    He did, but

and

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Not necessarily. From what I have heard is his 5th number is higher than they want it to be.
    Well, is it likely to go DOWN as a FA who can negotiate with all 32 teams? It's too bad, because

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I remember people being worried about who plays NT in the new 3-4 defense this time last year, Syl Wil answered.
    Yeah, and I freely admit being one of them, as well as deeply concerned whether the guy we drafted as 4-3 UT could be a 3-4 NT. You're right though, Sly answered the bell and played lights out every week. I'll miss him, because a 3-4 without a good NT rotation in the middle has a gaping hole where every RB in the league is.

Gimme Sanders, Webster and Stewart; I'd have to go back to my March and April posts to see who I else I like is in their final year. I remember it's a LOT of guys though; that PROJECTED $39M will be eaten up very fast (though I know a great way to save another $12M.... )
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    He did, but

and

Well, is it likely to go DOWN as a FA who can negotiate with all 32 teams? It's too bad, because

Yeah, and I freely admit being one of them, as well as deeply concerned whether the guy we drafted as 4-3 UT could be a 3-4 NT. You're right though, Sly answered the bell and played lights out every week. I'll miss him, because a 3-4 without a good NT rotation in the middle has a gaping hole where every RB in the league is.

Gimme Sanders, Webster and Stewart; I'd have to go back to my March and April posts to see who I else I like is in their final year. I remember it's a LOT of guys though; that PROJECTED $39M will be eaten up very fast (though I know a great way to save another $12M.... )
    It depends on how Elway classifies him.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information