Thread: NBA announces 'Hack-a-Shaq' rule change for upcoming 2016-2017 season

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default NBA announces 'Hack-a-Shaq' rule change for upcoming 2016-2017 season

Andre Drummond, DeAndre Jordan, Dwight Howard and all bad free-throw shooters in the NBA: REJOICE! On Tuesday evening, the NBA officially announced new rules pertaining to deliberate away-from-the-play fouls.

The new rules, which will go into effect immediately for the 2016-2017 season, are as follows:
    rest - http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/n...-season-071216

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I heard this on the radio this morning. I hate this idea.

I also hate the idea of "Hack-a-Shaq", but the reality of the situation is that shooting Free-Throws is an important part of the game. If you have a player who can't shoot free-throws on the court at the end of an NBA game. .. well then that's on you. Find someone who can and stop crying about it. Granted, free throws are not as sexy as slam dunks, but let's try to stay loyal to the nature of the game.

3. The Following 5 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post

I also hate the idea of "Hack-a-Shaq", but the reality of the situation is that shooting Free-Throws is an important part of the game. If you have a player who can't shoot free-throws on the court at the end of an NBA game. .. well then that's on you. Find someone who can and stop crying about it. Granted, free throws are not as sexy as slam dunks, but let's try to stay loyal to the nature of the game.
    I completely agree. But fouling away from the ball is pretty lame way to get a certain guy to the line. What I don't like more than that, is extending to 2 minutes of every friggin quarter.

idk... seems that these guys play such poor basketball anymore, that it just doesn't matter. I'll wait until the playoffs again to start watching again, anyway.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

This rule change has been needed for years. Fouling someone away from the ball to get them to the free throw line is total bullshit.

Intentionally fouling someone without the ball is not in the spirit of fair play IMO. It's a cheap loophole teams take advantage of and I'm glad it's being at least somewhat closed.

6. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Yea, weirdly enough the first thing i thought of when Carol posted the article was how in college basically it plays a huge role in games. Coaches often tell their players to foul so they can try and get back in the games. I really cant see it being that much different on the pro level.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    This rule change has been needed for years. Fouling someone away from the ball to get them to the free throw line is total bullshit.

Intentionally fouling someone without the ball is not in the spirit of fair play IMO. It's a cheap loophole teams take advantage of and I'm glad it's being at least somewhat closed.
    I have a feeling that this might simply reduce the number of fouls called away from the ball. Which maybe will solve the problem. Teams obviously won't have a reason to do it, and knowing this, refs might me less inclined to call it when it happens accidentally.

Maybe it's a good thing in the long run. I just rail against the notion that it's a problem when an NBA team has a guy on the roster, who is playing in crunch time and can't make free throws.. . . it's an elemental part of the game. If they can't hit free throws, maybe you shouldn't be paying them $12 million/year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I'm somewhere in the middle on this one. I do think free throws are part of the game and shouldn't just be de-emphasized - but I also think that NBA coaches have taken the game theory to its natural extreme, and not sure it's truly in the spirit of the game as it was designed. It's definitely tedious as a fan - so I'm ok with the change.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

It's always amazed me that the final 20 seconds of a basketball game take as long as a quarter.

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    It's always amazed me that the final 20 seconds of a basketball game take as long as a quarter.
    Another good reason for this rule. Anything to shorten the endgame is fine by me.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I have a feeling that this might simply reduce the number of fouls called away from the ball. Which maybe will solve the problem. Teams obviously won't have a reason to do it, and knowing this, refs might me less inclined to call it when it happens accidentally.

Maybe it's a good thing in the long run. I just rail against the notion that it's a problem when an NBA team has a guy on the roster, who is playing in crunch time and can't make free throws.. . . it's an elemental part of the game. If they can't hit free throws, maybe you shouldn't be paying them $12 million/year.
    100% agreed, yay, new rule!

But how does a player get to varsity BB level and not have his free throw down? I'm not even talking about percentage, I mean their form is pathetic, it's like watching a cheerleader throw a football. These basterds have no pride.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

When I was in high school this was called an intentional foul and the result was one free throw and the ball. This is not some new concept, the NBA is just slower than molasses.

Intentional fouls should never be rewarded, whether or not a player is good at shooting free throws.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    When I was in high school this was called an intentional foul and the result was one free throw and the ball. This is not some new concept, the NBA is just slower than molasses.

Intentional fouls should never be rewarded, whether or not a player is good at shooting free throws.
    These are away-from-the-ball fouls, not clear path fouls or flagrant fouls. The NBA isn't behind any times. They have clear definitions of these types of fouls. And for what it's worth "intentional foul" isn't a thing.

http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/1314-nba-rule-book.pdf
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The problem is that it's near impossible to legislate it out of the game and not make it even more of a subjective call for a league who is already highly criticized for its officiating. You can't give free throws and the ball to every off ball foul, so that makes the call even more subjective. The solution, in my eyes, is get better free throw shooters. Only about two or three teams have this happen to them on a regular basis: Clippers with DeAndre Jordan, Warriors with Andrew Bogut (And he's signed with Dallas now) and Rockets with Dwight Howard (Now in Atlanta).

I just think it's a smaller issue than its portrayed as, and I'd like to see the NBA lessen the subjectivity of calls as much as they can.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

I'm happy they're trying to fix it. I would rather have something a little different though. Like letting the team pick their shooter for an off the ball foul.

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    These are away-from-the-ball fouls, not clear path fouls or flagrant fouls. The NBA isn't behind any times. They have clear definitions of these types of fouls. And for what it's worth "intentional foul" isn't a thing.

http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/1314-nba-rule-book.pdf
    I know I wasn't very specific. Intentional foul was something I grew up with in the school district I was a member of.

I'm only referring to fouls where deliberate contact is involved and there is no attempt to take the ball.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information