Thread: Tim Duncan announces retirement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Tim Duncan announces retirement

Thanks for everything Tim. Loved you at Wake Forest and you were one of my favorite players outside of the Trailblazers. You had a fantastic career like i knew you always would have. Too bad Randolph couldnt have done the same as you. Good luck with the rest of your life.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/11/tim...?xid=si_social

Longtime Spurs star and five-time NBA champion Tim Duncan announced on Monday that he will retire after 19 seasons.The Vertical’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported in early July that Duncan was leaning toward retirement, a move that was expected following San Antonio’s elimination from the playoffs.

Duncan, 40, saw his effectiveness decline during his last season, particularly during the playoffs, when he averaged the lowest minutes and points of his career.

The Spurs selected Duncan with the No. 1 overall pick out of Wake Forest in the 1997 NBA draft, and he has spent his entire career with the franchise, leading the team to five championships. San Antonio won titles in 1999, 2003, 2006, 2007 and 2014.

Entering the NBA one year after 2016 retiree Kobe Bryant, Duncan has arguably enjoyed more success, albeit with much less fanfare. In addition to the five championships, Duncan has won Finals MVP three times, and won the back-to-back regular season MVP awards in 2002 and 2003.

The Spurs have enjoyed unprecedented success during Duncan’s tenure with the club. San Antonio has made the playoffs every year of Duncan’s career, and won50-plus games in all but one of those seasons. San Antonio’s 67 wins in 2015–16 is the best mark in club history.

A native of the Virgin Islands, Duncan retires as the Spurs’ all-time leading scorer. He is a 15-time All-Star and has been a member of the All-Defensive First or Second team 15 times.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

A sad day for the NBA, but all good things...
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived Canmore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

What a great player. Best wishes. Enjoy your retirement.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

He's right there with David Robinson as one of my all time favorite players. Classy and humble guy. A true good guy and ambassador for the league.

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Seemed like a classy dude.

The Ringer ‏@ringer 48m48 minutes ago
    Tim Duncan’s greatest foes: advertising, press conferences, the highlight factory, Dirk, fashion.

Tim Duncan vs. Everything
    https://theringer.com/tim-duncan-ret...3e4#.ofcggnu65

Duncan vs. the Highlight Factory

When looking back at Tim Duncan’s 19 seasons in the NBA, it’s nearly impossible to see the trees for the forest. Unlike Kobe, he isn’t a man of moments. The tapestry of Duncan’s career is dense and tightly woven. His accomplishments are as unimpeachable as his personage is blank, which has made him a modern tableau for concepts like success and greatness in their most distilled form. If the theatrical pursuit of something other than just winning means nothing to you, Duncan is your NBA patron saint.

Duncan vs. the Press Conference

Duncan will be remembered as being great at everything but delivering pithy quotes. When it came to press conferences, he had tremendous downside: modesty. A boring demeanor. A resistance to ginning up bulletin-board material for the other team. These are the traits that writers say they want out of great players. Any writer who’s honest wants exactly the opposite: immodesty, flamboyance, provocation.

Duncan vs. Dirk

Do you know what it’s like to have a perfect mortal enemy? It sucks. The Spurs are literally without sin. Spurs fans talk shit to me and I don’t have a single counter except for maybe Manu’s bald spot. The Spurs are the single classiest organization of the four major sports.

And of course Duncan has led the charge. His selfless nature and respect for other players makes it impossible to hate him (which always made me hate him). Duncan is so nice that his in-state rival, Dirk, always said he would have enjoyed playing with Tim. Apologies to the kids on my lawn, but you shouldn’t say that about a guy against whom you’ve played 33 playoff games. That’s Duncan, though. He beat the hell out of you every time. Then he helped you up as everyone cheered along. Tim Duncan was the worst … because he was the best. 

10. The Following 5 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Default Shaquille O'Neal honors Spurs icon Tim Duncan with the highest compliment

from article:

One of the better tributes was from Shaquille O'Neal, who gave this comment on Duncan to ESPN.

"Greatest power forward of all time. Unbreakable power forward. No [elbow] could break him. No loss of a championship could break him. Nothing could break him.

"You know how I played: I tried to intimidate guys and 'bow guys, but none of that ever fazed him. As far as giving me problems, he's right behind Hakeem Olajuwon. Not because of his moves. Because of his mind."
    more tributes - http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/s...pliment-071116

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Duncan always pissed me off for some reason. Probably due to the "Brady effect".

He was just so damn good, but didn't play for my team. I wish him well in retirement.

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Duncan always pissed me off for some reason. Probably due to the "Brady effect".

He was just so damn good, but didn't play for my team. I wish him well in retirement.
    I never liked him, and his whiny antics when committing fouls got on my nerves. In his mind, the refs were always wrong. Granted he was a damn good player.

Adopted Bronco:

Watch the Spurs' beautiful tribute video for Tim Duncan

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/t...e-video-071116

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

16. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Great article.

http://theundefeated.com/features/ti...t-time-forgot/

Duncan never had the urge to ride the AND1 bus. Never saw the benefit in talking junk to the man guarding him. His oldfangled game and stoic demeanor were so vanilla that the Duke student section took to calling him “Spock.” And he knew damn well what they were saying in NBA locker rooms and in the barbershops:

And now, 19 years later, how good and right that so many peers are calling him family today, even his greatest on-court rivals paying respect:
    “Tim Duncan is the greatest power forward to ever play the game – period,” Shaquille O’Neal said Monday after hearing Duncan had retired. “He is family – in the family of the greatest big men of all time.”
    O’Neal continued, “I don’t think anyone ever saw him as not being black. I just think we are all products of our own environments. He grew up on an island surrounded by water and became a swimmer. When I go to the Bahamas, I hardly ever see gold chains and tattoos and braids. It is a different world. But it didn’t take long for Tim to be accepted in our world because of who he was as a solid dude and an unbelievable player.”

But only one nickname felt right for Duncan, O’Neal said.
    “I called him The Big Fundamental because his fundamental skills were perfect,” O’Neal said. “I put him in the same category as Larry Bird. Larry Bird didn’t run fast or jump high, but he’d eat you alive with his fundamentals. That’s what Tim did.

Bowen added, “You talk about a guy that made it about team as compared to self, that’s what T.D. did. It was always about team for him. Even in a day and age of promoting the individual, he didn’t allow anything about himself to take away from the good of the group.”

“That’s what I’ll always remember about him – he just kept coming back, no matter what,” O’Neal said. “I really think about it, he was a cross between Bird and Hakeem [Olajuwon].
    “Hakeem, you couldn’t break ’em. You could ‘bow him, talk s—, you could play rough, he would just come back and give you his best. Tim was the same way. It didn’t matter what I said. What I did. You could never get to him. I would give him 30 one night and he would come back the next night and give me 30.
    “Nothing could break him. He fundamentally earned all our respect.”

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Duncan and Alajuwon were my favorites, I used to love Post play.......back when there was such a thing.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information