Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fandom is Broken

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Default Fandom is Broken

I frequent a TON of movie sites and have noticed the comments section is full of self-entitled vitriol and crap more and more lately. You don't like a movie? Fine. Voice your opinion and vote with your wallet. But now movies like the new all-female Ghostbusters see the cast and crew receiving Twitter death threats because the movie is somehow ruining their life. This is true across all entertainment comment sections from video games to movies to sports. I could never quite put my finger on it, but a writer whom I generally don't like wrote a great piece on the entitlement of fandom that I thought some of you might like. Being a fan used to be something that brought people with like interests together, but now many are acting like the Annie Wilkes character from Misery. Seems many would rather beat what they love into their ideal form then to just let the creators create:

All of this factors into the strange mindset of how we interact online. We have immediate access to spew any kind of hate at almost anyone instantly, and we probably also have a sense that nobody's actually listening. Or at least I hope that's the case - when director James Gunn defended the Captain America twist someone on his Facebook page left a comment wishing for Gunn's pet to be fed into a wood chipper. You have to hope that the guy thinks he's just muttering under his breath, that Gunn wouldn't actually see it, because the other version of that makes you despair for humanity.

This immediate access to the people who create the stuff we love was supposed to be the greatest thing that ever happened to fandom. If you talk to old TV writers or scifi novelists they'll tell you that they were often creating work in a void, not sure what people thought of what they were doing. It took a lot of effort to send a letter, so the only people who did that were the truly committed, but the general populace was largely silent. You just knew if they were watching or buying. But social media bridged the gap, and creators are no longer working in a void. Instead they're working in some kind of a chamber of screams, where people can and do voice their immediate and often personal displeasure directly and horribly.
    http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/30/fandom-is-broken

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I frequent a TON of movie sites and have noticed the comments section is full of self-entitled vitriol and crap more and more lately. You don't like a movie? Fine. Voice your opinion and vote with your wallet. But now movies like the new all-female Ghostbusters see the cast and crew receiving Twitter death threats because the movie is somehow ruining their life. This is true across all entertainment comment sections from video games to movies to sports. I could never quite put my finger on it, but a writer whom I generally don't like wrote a great piece on the entitlement of fandom that I thought some of you might like. Being a fan used to be something that brought people with like interests together, but now many are acting like the Annie Wilkes character from Misery. Seems many would rather beat what they love into their ideal form then to just let the creators create:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/30/fandom-is-broken
    It's social media, it's saying whatever you want without consequence. It has nothing to do with "Fandom". You see the same things in comment sections on news stories, kr anywhere that has a comment section really. You really want to get mad? Go read comment sections on news stories about service members getting killed in combat.

3. The Following 7 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

The current internet outrage over the zoo killing the gorilla who was dragging a 3 year old kid through the water is also ridiculous. I've just had to shake my head over the Internet comments on that.

5. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    It's social media, it's saying whatever you want without consequence. It has nothing to do with "Fandom". You see the same things in comment sections on news stories, kr anywhere that has a comment section really. You really want to get mad? Go read comment sections on news stories about service members getting killed in combat.
    Oh I know, there is no bigger cesspool than the comments section at CNN or other news sites. This article deals specifically with entertainment backlash. People put far too much of their self worth in the things they love as a replacement for something they are missing in their lives. I mean, people STILL bitch about the Star Wars prequels every chance they get like they are owed something.

Hiding behind social media to say awful things is a much broader topic, but I agree with what you say.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

People need to get over themselves.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Oh I know, there is no bigger cesspool than the comments section at CNN or other news sites. This article deals specifically with entertainment backlash. People put far too much of their self worth in the things they love as a replacement for something they are missing in their lives. I mean, people STILL bitch about the Star Wars prequels every chance they get like they are owed something.

Hiding behind social media to say awful things is a much broader topic, but I agree with what you say.
    I'm with you, I just think it's all the same

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Kind of along the same lines, but my FB page is flooded by those that think it was a criminal act to kill Harambe as opposed to just letting the kid die or "see what happens".

We're living in very interesting times.

11. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Kind of along the same lines, but my FB page is flooded by those that think it was a criminal act to kill Harambe as opposed to just letting the kid die or "see what happens".

We're living in very interesting times.
    Read like 4 comments above this one.

13. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    The current internet outrage over the zoo killing the gorilla who was dragging a 3 year old kid through the water is also ridiculous. I've just had to shake my head over the Internet comments on that.
    Beat me to it.

Here's the post that a lot of "friends" are referencing. It's beyond ridiculous.

https://www.facebook.com/captpaulwat...029456810932:0

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Beat me to it. Here's the post that a lot of "friends" are referencing. It's beyond ridiculous. https://www.facebook.com/captpaulwat...029456810932:0
    What part of this do you disagree with?

Parental negligence
    Zoo accountability
    Hotels in wild not harming non threatening humans
    The drag caused by the onlookers screaming

Don't get me wrong, if I thought the child was at risk, I would have shot the gorilla as well...i just don't see what he says in the post that is beyond ridiculous

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    What part of this do you disagree with?

Parental negligence
    Zoo accountability
    Hotels in wild not harming non threatening humans
    The drag caused by the onlookers screaming

Don't get me wrong, if I thought the child was at risk, I would have shot the gorilla as well...i just don't see what he says in the post that is beyond ridiculous

Just a dumb comment:

I swear it is incidents like these that make me see how utterly pathetic and clueless human beings can be.

The killing of Harambe was cold-blooded, unprovoked and senseless murder and the fingers of those who pulled the trigger belong to a special kind of stupid.

Is this guy an expert? What about that lady who was killed not too long ago after being with the gorilla's for an extended amount of time?

No it was not. The kid was not going to be killed by this gorilla. In fact there is no case of a gorilla in captivity ever killing a child and these gorillas are actually approachable in the wild.

But Jack Hanna gets paid to spew such nonsense because if he actually knew anything about gorillas he would have understood what Harambe was trying to do.
    Another stupid statement that simply can't be proven:

What brings tears to my eyes, what makes me sick inside is the knowledge that this noble creature was trying to help, that he knew the child was in trouble and his compassion was contemptuously dismissed with bullets.
    It's an animal. We can debate whether or not zoos are beneficial or not, but if a human being is in danger, I choose the human 100% of the time.

Sorry.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Screw you guys you all suck!!!!!!!!! I hope a hurricane takes all of you away!!!!!!!!!!
    Let's Rid3!!!!

19. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Beat me to it.

Here's the post that a lot of "friends" are referencing. It's beyond ridiculous.

https://www.facebook.com/captpaulwat...029456810932:0
    I love this part of that guy's post.

"Harambe died because we enslave gorillas and other animals for our entertainment."

21. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I gave up on Hollywood movies a long time ago as being boring and formulaic. There are advances in graphics so if you like to see things blow up better or dazzle you with special effects, good for you but most movies today are as deep as an Adam Sandler flick.

I enjoy historical movies if they are reasonably accurate and well-presented, more like "33" and less like "Pearl Harbor" but I would never use social media to ridicule a product.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

To your point Shake, you see it in music videos on YouTube too. People lose their minds in the comments section complaining about a song they don't like. I don't get it.

Like, you hate that song so much that you're here complaining about it like a spoiled child, probably with the song playing in the background, because you had to click it to comp!ain about it.

24. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information