Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Marshall: A Football Life

Default Brandon Marshall: A Football Life

Anyone else catch this on the nfl network? It wad an enjoyable watch. Definitely some insight into his issues and his illness. His relationship with Cutler is pretty funny. He's actually a pretty articulate, smart guy. Happy he got his life together finally.

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

There are a lot of players that I think should be covered on A Football Life before Marshall regardless of his mental state.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

4. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Anyone else catch this on the nfl network? It wad an enjoyable watch. Definitely some insight into his issues and his illness. His relationship with Cutler is pretty funny. He's actually a pretty articulate, smart guy. Happy he got his life together finally.
    Same here. I need to try and catch this at some point.

I like the fact that he went out and got the help that he needed. That is a good story that sheds light on the issues of mental health. So many people, especially men, don't want to get help -this doesn't count those that want help but can't get it for whatever reason- out of fear of not being a tough guy or a man, or whatever it might be. Seeing a tough son of a gun like Marshall go out and get mental health serves as a good example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

7. The Following 7 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    There are a lot of players that I think should be covered on A Football Life before Marshall regardless of his mental state.
    He's one of the first players that openly admitted a mental health condition during the middle of the prime of his career. With all the issues with mental health in this country, the NFL must feel that his story could connect with viewers and is a success story worth telling. Are there other stories I'd rather watch, sure, but that doesn't make his story any less important. Mental health is largely ignored in this country, bringing it into the spotlight isn't a bad thing.

9. The Following 8 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

He's one of the first players that openly admitted a mental health condition during the middle of the prime of his career. With all the issues with mental health in this country, the NFL must feel that his story could connect with viewers and is a success story worth telling. Are there other stories I'd rather watch, sure, but that doesn't make his story any less important. Mental health is largely ignored in this country, bringing it into the spotlight isn't a bad thing.
    I went to counseling about four or five months ago and have been on anti-depressants for about three months. One of the reasons I didn't go so much earlier was that I thought it made me soft to get help. that mentality has been with me a long, long time. If Marshall's story helps younger people (or anyone for that matter) then he sure is doing a lot of good. It makes me like Brandon Marshall a lot.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

11. The Following 9 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Also, FWIW, I think Marshall is back on the HoF trajectory, so I don't take issue with him being a part of the series.

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    I went to counseling about four or five months ago and have been on anti-depressants for about three months. One of the reasons I didn't go so much earlier was that I thought it made me soft to get help. that mentality has been with me a long, long time. If Marshall's story helps younger people (or anyone for that matter) then he sure is doing a lot of good. It makes me like Brandon Marshall a lot.
    I know when I see you post, you remind me of Brandon Marshall a lot. I'm just confused as to why you changed your moniker after King James?
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

15. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I know when I see you post, you remind me of Brandon Marshall a lot.
    There are so many ways this post can be interpreted that I choose to believe you consider me to be an elite poster.

Quote Originally Posted by von kinger View Post
    there are so many ways this post can be interpreted that i choose to believe you consider me to be an elite poster. :d
    a beast!!!!!!!
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

18. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

There is probably nothing wrong with you King. Most of the time people have a chemical imbalance and the anti depressants will help balance that shit out. Probably the same with Marshall and a lot of people.

My ex wife, who I am better friends with now than I was the whole time we were married went on anti depressants AFTER we got divorced is a total different person. Even she looks back and says she can't believe the person she was before them.
    Anyway, most people don't figure this shit out until later just like Marshall. I give him a pass on the his early years.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    There is probably nothing wrong with you King. Most of the time people have a chemical imbalance and the anti depressants will help balance that shit out. Probably the same with Marshall and a lot of people.

My ex wife, who I am better friends with now than I was the whole time we were married went on anti depressants AFTER we got divorced is a total different person. Even she looks back and says she can't believe the person she was before them.
    Anyway, most people don't figure this shit out until later just like Marshall. I give him a pass on the his early years.
    My brain had a pretty large chemical imbalance and the way it manifested is that I enjoyed very little in life. Example (this one is one the extreme side): My sister has a baby! Yay! But she lives in a poor state, isn't broke but doesn't make a lot of money, her fiancee works but doesn't make a lot of money, and she has debt from school and all that. As opposed to feeling joy after the prospect of being an uncle, I would instantly delve into what I could do to help support my beloved niece. So on a level I am happy to be an uncle, but that joy becomes an afterthought. That type of thing manifests into being pissed when I got a high A and not a perfect grade. Or doing well in a competition but not performing perfectly. It goes on and on.

Taking where I am now and where I was even six months ago is pretty far, and I didn't have a lot of shit to worry about like Marshall, either. We are in agreement.

22. The Following 4 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

I've been there and felt the same shame. How many people out there have tougher lives? I felt like a weak-ass little b***h and said as much when I talked about this.

I can't imagine being rich with elite NFL talent would help that sentiment.

My issue was panic attacks that I fully knew were utterly stupid. My brain was still thinking "I'm fine - why does it feel like I'm going to have a heart attack right now?" I came to the realization they were out of my control though and in total disgust with myself sought some help. It was pretty awful having an emotional experience totally out of your control.

I used meds short-term. That was quite a few years ago and haven't experienced one in a very long time - though occasionally I have phased on and off as needed. But it's like "oh this shit again?" and there's knowledge it will pass and I'll be fine.

What's funny is I've said this on several occasions, and in more than a few others admitted to getting this kind of help at particular periods in their lives.
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

24. The Following 4 Users High Fived tomjonesrocks For This Post:

A lot of my issues stemmed from a childhood where my dad was sometimes abusive. But I always had three meals a day, a rough over my head, and some of my friends didn't really know who they dads are or were. So yeah, getting socked in the face every now and again wasn't fun, nor was living in fear. But I still knew people who had it way worse. I'm not a mental health professional, so I don't want to speak too broadly, but I think at various points in people's lives they need help.

26. The Following 4 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

No one thinks any less of someone when they have an auto immune. I see mental illness as similar insomuch that the person's own brain is what is causing the distress unfortunately, while people would be willing to go to the doctor and talk about arthritis or lupus, mental illness still carries a sigma

Which is tragic.

28. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information