Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Durant will have many options, but OKC looks most likely

KD loved the fans and his teammates. Honestly he's the new hero of the NBA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    KD loved the fans and his teammates. Honestly he's the new hero of the NBA.
    *was.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

he just signed on as a golden eagle

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I have a question that I would be very interested in hearing some answers to. Why should players make it harder on themselves to win rings? Why is there some shame in forming super teams when the rules allow for it?

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I have a question that I would be very interested in hearing some answers to. Why should players make it harder on themselves to win rings? Why is there some shame in forming super teams when the rules allow for it?
    counter question-- why shouldn't fans be disappointed about it? people spend millions of dollars every year following sports, and they want to be entertained. . . that's what it is, entertainment. . . super teams take the drama and excitement out of it. . .

better question-- would the NBA have ever grown to its current level of popularity if magic and bird had teamed up, rather than competing? how about bill russell and wilt? what if jordan had left chicago to join the bad boys, instead of coming back until he kicked their asses? old guys chasing rings is one thing, that's always happened-- the league's top stars teaming up in their prime is relatively unprecedented. . . if your point is simply that people shouldn't make it personal, then fine. . . but i'd think you could see why people don't like it-- seems pretty obvious. . . and yes, i do absolutely think that the league needs to fix this shit if they really want to protect and grow their brand to its maximum long-term potential. . . not holding my breath, though. . .

6. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I don't think there should be any shame for players wanting to win championships, even if it means leaving and being a part of a super team. Rings matter in the sports climate we live in. Try and follow this dumb imperfectly thrown together analogy:

Say I really want a coffee table. I have a garage with all of the tools I need to make it from scratch. I also have some money that I could use to go a buy one at walmart. If I choose to go buy one from Walmart it still takes some work: gotta work to get the money first, then go to the store, then buy it and take it home where there is probably some basic assembly required. If I choose to make one at my house from scratch, it will be more work and it won't look as perfect and i'll probably **** up and something will be a tad bit uneven. But in the end, the end result will be the same: I will have a coffee table.

To me, whenever I make something or do something myself I feel a greater sense of accomplishment than when I go out and buy something that requires easy assembly, even if the thing I made myself is imperfect. In the end I have the same thing, but one feels a little bit cooler than the other. Different strokes for different folks of course, but I think at the end of the day the accomplishment is better.

The shame comes from abandoning the fans and teammates that you had stuck with and vice versa for all those years. Instead of saying "hey we keep getting really close, let's keep working hard and we will get it, but if we don't then we can at least say that we tried and stuck together" a player says "man i'm sick of trying it here i'm gonna go try it somewhere else instead."

Like I said a couple pages ago, imagine if Elway had left here after 1990. Being blown out in the SB so many times, he could have said "it's obviously not happening here, the front office sucks and isn't giving me the help I need, maybe I should go elsewhere to a team that already has all of the help I need." Instead, he stuck it out and eventually was able to get his rings, and it was probably more valuable to him than if he had left.

And I would bet that if Lebron were to speak candidly, he would admit that the championship with the Cavs felt a little bit more special than his championships with the Heat (I mean he kind of already did admit that). Put another way, it's about the journey, not the destination. The destination is great, and hopefully you achieve what you want to achieve, but the journey you take with the fans, teammates, and community around you is what makes it special.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

For comparison, here is the post game reaction of LBJ's first championship with the Heat VS his one with the Cavs. I think it's pretty clear which one was more important to him.

LBJ's situation in regards to which one matters more isn't a fair comparison. Durant didn't live in OKC; I suspect had he won a title with the Wizards it would, however, mean the most.

The point about Magic and Larry doesn't work either as both already had a super team. Durant doesn't have a super team, but he's going against them. The Celtics and the Lakers didn't trade a top ten player away for a decent center and pure trash to save money, either, and Larry didn't look around at the other boys and think 'they're going to leave to go to a bigger market' either.

Durant is a hero.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

10. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    counter question-- why shouldn't fans be disappointed about it? people spend millions of dollars every year following sports, and they want to be entertained. . . that's what it is, entertainment. . . super teams take the drama and excitement out of it. . .

better question-- would the NBA have ever grown to its current level of popularity if magic and bird had teamed up, rather than competing? how about bill russell and wilt? what if jordan had left chicago to join the bad boys, instead of coming back until he kicked their asses? old guys chasing rings is one thing, that's always happened-- the league's top stars teaming up in their prime is relatively unprecedented. . . if your point is simply that people shouldn't make it personal, then fine. . . but i'd think you could see why people don't like it-- seems pretty obvious. . . and yes, i do absolutely think that the league needs to fix this shit if they really want to protect and grow their brand to its maximum long-term potential. . . not holding my breath, though. . .
    Yes, the game would have grown if they'd played together and their Finals nemesis would have been someone else. In the early days the 76ers, then the Pistons and the Bulls.

Just like the game isn't dead now, you still have the Warriors vs. LeBron and it's going to get massive ratings. Doesn't mean Oklahoma City fans shouldn't be disappointed as well, just that the game won't die because Durant is a Warrior.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

12. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    LBJ's situation in regards to which one matters more isn't a fair comparison. Durant didn't live in OKC; I suspect had he won a title with the Wizards it would, however, mean the most.

The point about Magic and Larry doesn't work either as both already had a super team. Durant doesn't have a super team, but he's going against them. The Celtics and the Lakers didn't trade a top ten player away for a decent center and pure trash to save money, either, and Larry didn't look around at the other boys and think 'they're going to leave to go to a bigger market' either.

Durant is a hero.

you're reaching. . . golden state is a hell of a team, but they weren't a true super team before KD joined up. . . klay and dray aren't superstars, and more so that team was also organically grown, much like the bulk of those bird celtics and magic lakers. . . and OKC wasn't that far behind GS, either-- hell, they were up 3-1 on them before they choked it away, and their two best guys were better than the warriors two best. . . yes, trading harden was dumb-- but now you're overstating its importance as much as layne was understating it. . .

you're just trolling with "durant is a hero". . . probably some leftover butthurt about bron winning. . .
    Last edited by dogfish; 07-07-2016 at 06:18 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Yes, the game would have grown if they'd played together and their Finals nemesis would have been someone else. In the early days the 76ers, then the Pistons and the Bulls.

Just like the game isn't dead now, you still have the Warriors vs. LeBron and it's going to get massive ratings. Doesn't mean Oklahoma City fans shouldn't be disappointed as well, just that the game won't die because Durant is a Warrior.
    well, i certainly never said it would die, or anything remotely close to that. . . i mentioned maximizing their potential-- in other words, trying to challenge the NFL for supremacy, instead of counting their own TV money, and being happy that they're better off than hockey. . . the NFL is still king, and other sports leagues would love to have their popularity-- i don't think the NBA can ever get there without finding more parity. . . yes, finals ratings will be great. . . how many regular season games will get crap ratings, or fall many thousands short of max attendance in gyms around the country that aren't in oakland? i know some of it is inherent when you play 82 games a year, but even their earlier playoff matchups would be more heavily watched if more than three or four teams had a chance of winning a title. . .

I think it's a matter of perception as to what you did to "accomplish" that championship.

What if everyone I knew there was a race car that was FAR and away the fastest car in the race. I mean, WAyyyy faster. Because it was the fastest in the race, I jump in THAT car. BUT, instead of sitting behind the steering wheel, I simply sit in the passenger seat....and ride allll the way to victory! I get the same trophy as anyone else involved!! whoot?

Lets take the Warriors. They just went to 2 finals in a row, winning 1. Last year they won more games in the season than any other team in history. They are still considered to be the best team in the NBA, and were/are favored to go back to the NBA finals (again) next season...even without Durant. They are the fastest car in the race.

So if Durant wins a title with the Warriors, what is the perceived accomplishment? What did he do? Jump in that passenger seat with a car that was already taking that checkered flag? Whoot?
    Last edited by Ravage!!!; 07-07-2016 at 06:23 PM.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

It depends on his performance because let's face it, the Warriors first title came against a poopy and injured Cleveland team. They just collapsed in a straight up contest. If Durant is the difference maker then that's what he is.

Now if Durant ****s around and the Warriors get bodied then he's going to style on himself. Never self-style.

18. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Maybe the Warriors should look at Durant's chokejob against them a couple of months ago.

Anyway.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

I never said fans shouldn't be disappointed. Obviously an OKC fan will and should be disappointed about him leaving. I'm just talking about the bashing of players for doing it and calling them "cowards" for taking the easy way out. I don't see how it makes a player a coward to want to better his chances of winning.

It's totally fair to bash the league for allowing it to happen, though. I agree it sucks when you are a fan of one of the other 29 teams when a super team forms.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information