Colquitt is overpaid. Screw'em

Quote Originally Posted by LTC Pain View Post
    Colquitt is overpaid. Screw'em
    Hmm. It's his fault for being overpaid?

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Hmm. It's his fault for being overpaid?

First, let me make it clear that I don't actually have a position on whether or not Colquitt is overpaid, or whether or not we'd be better off with the guy we just drafted. Now to answer the question, no, its not his fault that he's overpaid, if he is indeed over paid. However, when a team believes that they have been overpaying a player, they cut him.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    First, let me make it clear that I don't actually have a position on whether or not Colquitt is overpaid, or whether or not we'd be better off with the guy we just drafted. Now to answer the question, no, its not his fault that he's overpaid, if he is indeed over paid. However, when a team believes that they have been overpaying a player, they cut him.
    Of course. I just don't get the whole "screw em" mentality. JFE offered him a great contract and he signed it. I don't think any special teams player in NFL history is worth $4 million a season. I agree that IF, and that's a big IF, he makes $4 million in 2016 then he's overpaid. Because, as I said, how does any punter justify a $4 million season? You can't. It doesn't matter how great he plays. I can't figure out why they gave him that contract unless they only made it that way so they could do a restructure or cut in the last season or two. Eventually, guys will stop signing those contracts once they notice no Bronco will ever get his full money in his last year or two.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Of course. I just don't get the whole "screw em" mentality. JFE offered him a great contract and he signed it. I don't think any special teams player in NFL history is worth $4 million a season. I agree that IF, and that's a big IF, he makes $4 million in 2016 then he's overpaid. Because, as I said, how does any punter justify a $4 million season? You can't. It doesn't matter how great he plays. I can't figure out why they gave him that contract unless they only made it that way so they could do a restructure or cut in the last season or two. Eventually, guys will stop signing those contracts once they notice no Bronco will ever get his full money in his last year or two.
    Are you old enough to remember a punter for the Raiders by the name of Ray Guy? He was the 1st punter in NFL history to be drafted in the 1st round.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...=all&order_by=

I bet he'd be worth $4 million per year.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

Colquitt walks into a car dealership. One salesman says to another, "that's a for sure sale right there. "
    The other salesman says, "why?"
    "Because, he couldn't kick the tires if he wanted to!" Bahahaha! !!

8. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Colquitt walks into a car dealership. One salesman says to another, "that's a for sure sale right there. "
    Are you trying to take away my crown for being this MB’s worst comedian?

Are you old enough to remember a punter for the Raiders by the name of Ray Guy? He was the 1st punter in NFL history to be drafted in the 1st round.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...=all&order_by=

I bet he'd be worth $4 million per year.
    That other guy was 11th overall? He must have been amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    A horse walks into a bar.

It's funny because why would a horse be in a bar? Get it? Only people go in bars.

Ok. I stole that joke.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

That other guy was 11th overall? He must have been amazing.
    He couldn't have been that great being how he's not in the HoF & that I'd never heard of him until doing that search. In fact, I thought that Guy was the only punter to have been drafted in the 1st. My question to you remains, are you old enough to have remember him?

Except when they don't, which is pretty often. We thought we overpaying for Manning last year, but we didn't cut him, however many fans said we should. We thought we were overpaying for Ware this year, but we didn't cut him either: We restructured him, and tried valiantly to do the same with Clady before reaching an impasse that forced Elway to cut him.

He's no All Pro at a marquee position, but we could (and should) restructure Colquitt to lower our cap hit, and even get him MORE guaranteed and long term money into the bargain. Saying he's either worth his current cap hit or needs to be cut is a false dichotomy; sometimes there are >2 options.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Ray Guy is getting close to the HOF people bring him up evey year. The award for the best college punter is the Ray Guy award. As far as Colquitt goes if he beats out the rookie great he wins the job if he doesnt than he gets a new job somewhere else and im sure he will not get 4 mil to do it but easily 2 mil. He was good last year and pretty damn good in the playoffs but when you have a younger, cheaper option that is as good we all know how that will go.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Except when they don't, which is pretty often. We thought we overpaying for Manning last year, but we didn't cut him, however many fans said we should. We thought we were overpaying for Ware this year, but we didn't cut him either: We restructured him, and tried valiantly to do the same with Clady before reaching an impasse that forced Elway to cut him.

He's no All Pro at a marquee position, but we could (and should) restructure Colquitt to lower our cap hit, and even get him MORE guaranteed and long term money into the bargain. Saying he's either worth his current cap hit or needs to be cut is a false dichotomy; sometimes there are >2 options.
    As someone who thought that we way overpaid Manning the day we signed him, I ate enough crow during his 2 seasons to where I was willing to give Elway the benefit of the doubt that Manning would bounce back from his injuries last year. Had he, & put up a 2013 performance, then he would've been worth every penny. As far as Ware, yes we restructured his contract.

I didn't intend to write a lengthy post listing everything that we could do to cut salary, such a trading a player who we can't afford to a team that can afford him. I was just simply making the point that if Elway believes a player is worth the salary he's being paid, then we keep him. If he doesn't, we don't. Whether or not the fan base agrees with Elway is beside the point I was making.

I didn't intend to write a lengthy post listing everything that we could do to cut salary, such a trading a player who we can't afford to a team that can afford him. I was just simply making the point that if Elway believes a player is worth the salary he's being paid, then we keep him. If he doesn't, we don't. Whether or not the fan base agrees with Elway is beside the point I was making.
    It's also beside the point I was making: There are (several) more options than "if Elway doesn't think a guy worth his salary we cut him." Because there are several guys just within the last season Elway didn't think worth their salary and we STILL kept them: We just changed their salaries.

In Mannings case, we converted $2M of his 2015 money into an AFCCG incentive bonus and another $2M into a SB incentive bonus, so he got every penny of it. Ware's just flat playing longer for the same cash, so the same cap hit's spread over more years, making it smaller per annum.

If Elway thinks Colquitt's overpaid we could do EITHER of those things INSTEAD of cutting him. It's not as simple as "cut him unless he's worth $4M."
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

He couldn't have been that great being how he's not in the HoF & that I'd never heard of him until doing that search. In fact, I thought that Guy was the only punter to have been drafted in the 1st. My question to you remains, are you old enough to have remember him?
    No. I'm not old enough to remember him playing. But George Blanca was probably worth more. I think he played QB also.

My point still remains. I'm not convinced a hypothetical Ray Guy somehow playing in his prime in 2016 nor any other special teams player is worth $4 million. I'm not convinced.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information