Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FedEx To Back Memphis Pitch To Big XII

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Default FedEx To Back Memphis Pitch To Big XII

Most people expected Cincinnati to be the leader in the clubhouse if/when the Big XII expands to um, (ahem) 12. But not os fast. The University of Memphis is getting a big boost from local business FedEx who implies they will get heavily involved financially with the Big XII if they'll let Memphis join the conference.

FedEx used to sponsor the Orange Bowl and could underwrite several things to help out conference coffers such as the conference championship game, the Big XII basketball tournament, maybe provide discounts to conference schools for FedEx services. Kinda sweetens the pot, doesn't it?

According to CBS Sports, the other schools who have made pitches to the Big XII are Central Florida, Houston and Colorado State. Often-discussed schools like Cincinnati and BYU have yet to do so.

Houston, despite it's on-field success, really has no chance since other Big XII schools already have a big presence in that TV market. CSU would bring the Denver market back to the conference. BYU brings the numbers of LDS fans as well as a presence in the Rocky Mountains.

Cincinnati puts a second school near West Virginia which puts two schools in the fertile PenWeVO recruiting fields (Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio). Central Florida, likewise, gives the conference a showcase in the state of Florida and has ties to Disney which owns ESPN which owns the Longhorn Network.

But none has stepped up with corporate partnerships the way Memphis has. Geographically, they are in a good location. The community is solid enough to support NBA basketball and the Liberty Bowl, although old and dingy, can host over 60,000 for football.

Other than BYU and CSU, these are all presently in the AAC for football.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

2. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I saw somewhere, maybe it was a tweet that Memphis and Houston should be considered leaders in the clubhouse.

I'd like Colorado State to go Pac-16 if they ever move again.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

What happens is, unless they join together, the first school in a state will try to block any other school in their state. IOW, Colorado would be the first people to object to CSU in their conference just as Utah would object to adding BYU. You never want to boost your in-state rival to your level. That's among the reasons why Houston probably doesn't get into the Big XII. It's all about tv markets and additional revenue.

I don't know why, but it irks me when conferences aren't set up well geographically. I hate WV in the Big 12.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

All of the conference realignment is one of the main reasons I don't watch college football much anymore. The ever-changing rules, the watered down bowl system, the rivalries that have been broken up with realignment, the top-heavy favoritism that goes toward the SEC and traditional powerhouses. It's pretty much jumped the shark entirely for me.

8. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I don't know why, but it irks me when conferences aren't set up well geographically. I hate WV in the Big 12.
    I don't hate it as much as I find it odd, like "how do you build rivalries with schools you can't see without a plane ticket?"

If they add Memphis and Cincinnati, the conference map will look sort of like the Big Dipper (other than Iowa St.) and it will be a very competitive basketball conference. They no doubt would break up into two divisions again and it would almost surely look like this:

North Division:
    Cincinnati
    Iowa State
    Kansas
    Kansas St.
    Memphis
    West Virginia

South Division:
    Baylor
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma St.
    Texas
    Texas Christian
    Texas Tech

The South Division would dominate in football. I don't know how else you divide it up.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    I don't hate it as much as I find it odd, like "how do you build rivalries with schools you can't see without a plane ticket?"

If they add Memphis and Cincinnati, the conference map will look sort of like the Big Dipper (other than Iowa St.) and it will be a very competitive basketball conference. They no doubt would break up into two divisions again and it would almost surely look like this:

North Division:
    Cincinnati
    Iowa State
    Kansas
    Kansas St.
    Memphis
    West Virginia

South Division:
    Baylor
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma St.
    Texas
    Texas Christian
    Texas Tech

The South Division would dominate in football. I don't know how else you divide it up.
    Invite Boise to the north....

North Division:
    Cincinnati
    Iowa State
    Kansas
    Kansas St.
    Memphis
    West Virginia

South Division:
    Baylor
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma St.
    Texas
    Texas Christian
    Texas Tech

Damn. No wonder Cincy hasn't requested.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The problem with Boise is that their other sports besides football are extremely weak and travel to/from there is not swift or simple.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I thought that said Bitch at first.

Would have been a better story.

The problem with Boise is that their other sports besides football are extremely weak and travel to/from there is not swift or simple.
    The other sports argument is false, with the exception of baseball. Boise consistently hovers around top 20 nationally in wrestling and gymnastics and competes in the PAC 12 in both sports.
    Boise is also consistently one of the best teams in basketball in the Mountain West.

But let's be honest. None of this has anything to do with athletic competition. It has everything to do with television markets. Colorado is a giant dumpster fire and they got into the PAC 12 solely on the merits of the Denver tv market.
    Boise would immediately be the football standard of the north division of the Big12 and would be highly competitive in other sports, but the Big 12 isn't intersted in that.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    The other sports argument is false, with the exception of baseball. Boise consistently hovers around top 20 nationally in wrestling and gymnastics and competes in the PAC 12 in both sports.
    Boise is also consistently one of the best teams in basketball in the Mountain West.

But let's be honest. None of this has anything to do with athletic competition. It has everything to do with television markets. Colorado is a giant dumpster fire and they got into the PAC 12 solely on the merits of the Denver tv market.
    Boise would immediately be the football standard of the north division of the Big12 and would be highly competitive in other sports, but the Big 12 isn't intersted in that.
    Insert "Texas" for "Big 12" and this becomes more accurate. Texas is the reason, Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M, all top athletic schools, all with decent to great television markets and all top academic schools, aren't in the conference and why West Virginia is.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Mo <3 the Longhorns

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Mo <3 the Longhorns
    I'm speaking truths...

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Insert "Texas" for "Big 12" and this becomes more accurate. Texas is the reason, Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M, all top athletic schools, all with decent to great television markets and all top academic schools, aren't in the conference and why West Virginia is.
    Which explains why the "Fleeing Four" have been so dominant in their new conferences. They're also-rans in their new conferences, just as they were much of the time in the Big XII.

Colorado (Denver) and Missouri (St. Louis and Kansas City) do offer tv markets. A&M added nothing to the Big XII's tv footprint but helps the SEC get into Texas. Nebraska was all about the former prestige of their football program which couldn't compete without partial qualifiers coming from California.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information