Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: And So It Begins

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    I'm sure you deserved it.
    I said "you're pathetic". I thought it was pretty tame compared to what most usually say.

It was a man and a woman. The man, everyone knew his name. That's how you can usually tell you're a bad ref. I was only angry because they were letting this play a little too much and it got out of control. I was worried someone would get hurt. It was a basketball game, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I said "you're pathetic". I thought it was pretty tame compared to what most usually say.

It was a man and a woman. The man, everyone knew his name. That's how you can usually tell you're a bad ref. I was only angry because they were letting this play a little too much and it got out of control. I was worried someone would get hurt. It was a basketball game, by the way.
    Yeah, I'll let coaches say a lot, but when they get personal it's going to cost them. This year the NCAA instituted a rule that, just like a player, two UNS fouls on the coach is an automatic ejection. I do not give the players nearly as much leeway as I do coaches.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

Yeah, I'll let coaches say a lot, but when they get personal it's going to cost them. This year the NCAA instituted a rule that, just like a player, two UNS fouls on the coach is an automatic ejection. I do not give the players nearly as much leeway as I do coaches.
    I'm no coach. Just a front row loud mouth. This was while I was still in high school.

I'm no coach. Just a front row loud mouth. This was while I was still in high school.
    You weren't even playing????
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

You weren't even playing????
    No. My dad was the scorekeeper so I'd go with him sometimes because it was free. And it was a small school, so I always had friends or relatives playing. I took some of my first steps in that gym as a baby.

6. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

When I was in junior college I served as the sports editor on the school newspaper. During one basketball game there was a controversial technical foul call on one of our players. During halftime, one of the refs was walking to the bathroom and I asked him about the foul. He told me he wasn't talking to anyone about it. After the game I was collecting the stat sheet from the scorekeeper and that same ref walked up to me and told me that he didn't talk to me because he didn't see my badge, but refs don't field questions about calls. Ever. He said this nicely. I (try) to remember this pleasant exchange whenever I get pissed off at refs during a game.

I never did hear why the call was made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

8. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    When I was in junior college I served as the sports editor on the school newspaper. During one basketball game there was a controversial technical foul call on one of our players. During halftime, one of the refs was walking to the bathroom and I asked him about the foul. He told me he wasn't talking to anyone about it. After the game I was collecting the stat sheet from the scorekeeper and that same ref walked up to me and told me that he didn't talk to me because he didn't see my badge, but refs don't field questions about calls. Ever. He said this nicely. I (try) to remember this pleasant exchange whenever I get pissed off at refs during a game.

Because they're paid off by the other team!!!

Because they're paid off by the other team!!!
    I'm about to hit you with a Stone Cold Stunner.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Yep, we don't publicly discuss our calls at any level. We do talk amongst ourselves, though, and we review film all the time.

12. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Yep, we don't publicly discuss our calls at any level. We do talk amongst ourselves, though, and we review film all the time.
    I appreciated that he took the time to speak to me about that. I had seen other refs in other sports talk publicly about calls, but apparently that's a no-no.

14. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

I'm about to hit you with a Stone Cold Stunner.
    "Bah gawd, King!"

16. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

I always knew you were part of some super secret organization.

18. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

I appreciated that he took the time to speak to me about that. I had seen other refs in other sports talk publicly about calls, but apparently that's a no-no.
    Yeah, I wish officials were allowed to publicly defend themselves, but it's frowned upon.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Yeah, I wish officials were allowed to publicly defend themselves, but it's frowned upon.
    I wish the crew chief in professional sports (only pro) would take questions. MLB and NFL allow a pool reporter (usually, a longtime, well-respected reporter. I've seen Peter King be the guy numerous time in the NFL) to collect a statement, I believe, but I'm not sure they're allowed to ask questions.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

22. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information