Thread: In the line of fire

Default In the line of fire

This is a very interesting read. 4 lineman from different teams talk about their frustrations with the media and social networks. Especially all the crap sent their way from folks that don't know anything about line play. They also get into the lack of teaching fundamentals for lineman.

CHANDLER, Ariz. -- Steel clanks in one part of the gym, while the punching of bags is heard in another as the big-bodied men go through a variety of drills, their grunting and groaning creating a muscular symphonic soundtrack.

Inside the O-Line Performance Center here, owned and operated by former NFL lineman LeCharles Bentley, Tennessee Titans guard Chance Warmack has just finished up a grueling workout. With a handful of several of the league's linemen still working out nearby, under the watchful eye of Bentley, a sort of self-help guru who doesn't miss a thing in drills, Warmack talked about the state of offensive line play in the NFL.

"I call this place the Land of the Persecuted," I told Warmack. "You guys took a beating last year."

"Yep," he said, his shirt drenched in sweat. "We've become the NFL scapegoats."

Chicago Bears guard Kyle Long, also in the Bentley group, offered a better name for league's offensive linemen.

"We're the Mushroom Club," he said. "They throw us in a closet, feed us s--- and expect us to come out a finished product."

That's why they are here -- to get better. Mainly because they don't feel they get enough teaching from their own NFL coaches. The techniques taught by Bentley might be different than what these linemen are taught when they are with their teams, but the 30 guys who spend eight weeks here swear by the techniques. A lack of fundamental teaching is one reason for the poor state of line play, many of them say.

Limits on practice time have forced NFL coaches to spend most of their time installing the offense, rather than focusing on the tricks of the trade. That's led to sloppy play. There are other reasons for the deterioration of line play, such as the spread offense in college, free agency preventing cohesion, and little contact in practice, which limits growth together as a unit. Add it all up, and it's why the big guys up front have become the NFL players everybody loves to hate.

A lot more here: http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/featur...e-line-of-fire
    Last edited by Spiritguy; 05-05-2016 at 03:23 PM.
    Avatar courtesy of Artist Faith Coyote

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Spiritguy For This Post:

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

This article's terrific - thanks!
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

4. The Following User High Fived G_Money For This Post:

It sheds some interesting light on the issues the line had last year. Wonder how much actual teaching is happening for our guys when it comes to the basics of blocking technique?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritguy View Post
    It sheds some interesting light on the issues the line had last year. Wonder how much actual teaching is happening for our guys when it comes to the basics of blocking technique?
    When you say, "our guys " are you referring to the Bears?

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

That was great Al Wilson hahahaha.

NO not da bears. Just use that image across several forums, FB etc... I know the artist.
    Last edited by Spiritguy; 05-05-2016 at 05:50 PM.

That was great Al Wilson hahahaha.

NO not da bears. Just use that image across several forums, FB etc... I know the artist.
    I actually can't see the image on my phone. I have just seen you around for many years. I use to spend a lot of time on the team sponsored forum and I remember you from that website.

I know you're a Bears fan, tell the truth! !!

Not in this life! If anything, a Vikings fan from when I was growing up. Somewhere along the way I ended up in Colorado and found a REAL team worth rooting for. Been a Broncos fan ever sense.

Besides who in their right mind would follow the bears with "good enough" for a head coach?

Not in this life. lol If anything, a Vikings fan from when I was growing up. Somewhere along the way I ended up in Colorado and found a REAL team worth rooting for. Been a Broncos fan ever sense.
    Maybe Im confused....did you have the same username on the team sponsored forum?

Maybe it was OM, I'm not a registered member of that forum.

Maybe it was OM, I'm not a registered member of that forum.
    The Spiritguy there got banned about 5 years ago.

I'm glad that they put PFF in their place, since it seems that there are several posters that use PFF's grading as "Gold" to determine who's good and who's not. It's like those tht use the QB rating to tell anyone who's a good QB. It just doesn't hold the facts.

I think it's ironic that the NFL has cut down on practices (well, the players asked for that)....while making more rules to protect the QB...when it's the lack of practices that will get the "Faces of the NFL" hurt.

I also couldn't help but LMAO when they tried to say they were the best athletes on the field. That's just hilarious.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

15. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

PFF puts far more effort into analyzing players than most, so it is useful, for whatever that's worth.

As for the article, these players can't blame the coaching (or lack of) because it's their Union that insisted on less practices, this is what they wanted.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

We've known for some time now that teams do not have enough practice time to work on fundamentals because of the CBA.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    We've known for some time now that teams do not have enough practice time to work on fundamentals because of the CBA.
    It's a problem in college too, we'll start to see more camps/gurus for other positions pop up like the QB camps, I bet.

Stink and Diaz Infante had an OL DVD years ago.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information