I dumped my Cable TV service (except the internet) but I didn't want to get rid of my sports so I found Sling TV (owned by Dish Network) which streams a limited number of "basic cable" channels to your Roku, Chromecast, Amazon Fire or other "smart tv" device. The service starts at $20/mo and you can add on packages for more.

What was appealing about this package was that I could get ESPN, ESPN2 and add a package for $5/mo more that gave me ESPN News, ESPNU, SEC Channel, ESPN Goal Line and ESPN Buzzer Beater plus access to the Watch ESPN app so I could watch replays of games I missed. Way cool, right?

So, last week I noticed that Sling TV now offers Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports Net (local RSNs marketed by zip code), FOX, FX, their soccer net, etc. Even better.

Here's the catch though. You can either order the standard package with all the ESPN channels or the "Beta" package of Fox Sports channels but you are presently not allowed to have both. Currently, there's no charge to switch packages and the difference in monthly rates is pro-rated so, I suppose, you could just bounce between the two packages as often as you want until Sling TV figures out they can charge you every time you switch and make a bunch of money.

I asked, 'can I pay extra just to have both?' The chick says no. But she did say I could order the Fox package and still subscribe to Watch ESPN separately. Hmmm. Betcha that will get stopped.

For the price, they are terrific deals. Sorry, if your team has their deal with ROOT Sports (the DirecTV/AT&T consortium), you're still SOL. But if you hate paying cable prices but love to watch live sports and you have a solid internet streaming service, this is still a great way to go. It's just so close to getting even better.