Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing Malik Jackson?

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I'd rather have our best WR compared to our 4th best front 7 player.
    Now somebody teach our best receiver how to catch again and we'll be all right.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    Now somebody teach our best receiver how to catch again and we'll be all right.
    It was definitely an issue last year. He was good, but not great last year in the receiving game.
    His blocking ability is pretty undervalued.

Adopted Bronco:
    Can I adopt Miles the Mascot?

A penetrating interior pass rush is extremely valuable and often the most over looked part of the defense. Malik should get most of the praise for the production that our OLB's got as he made them slide out

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hoshdude7 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Quote Originally Posted by Hoshdude7 View Post
    A penetrating interior pass rush is extremely valuable and often the most over looked part of the defense. Malik should get most of the praise for the production that our OLB's got as he made them slide out
    True. Gotsis is an interior rusher too, though. He's as raw as Malik was so I doubt he will do this year what Malik did last year - growth will need to happen. But we got a guy who should help with that and is about 15 million dollars a year cheaper.
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

7. The Following User High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Jared Crick. Plug and play, and I don't expect Denver to miss a beat.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Jared Crick. Plug and play, and I don't expect Denver to miss a beat.
    Crick isn't gonna be as productive as Jackson, but he doesn't have to learn anything about the scheme since he played in it for 2 years under Wade in Houston. He should be absolutely serviceable, and then we'll see whether he can find some growth back under Wade now.
    -- James Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Hoshdude7 View Post
    Wolfe played less snaps, due to the suspension, and was double teamed more and got more pressures than Malik.
    I firmly believe Malik was our 4th or 5 best front 7 player.
    Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 05-02-2016 at 12:28 PM.

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Crick isn't gonna be as productive as Jackson, but he doesn't have to learn anything about the scheme since he played in it for 2 years under Wade in Houston. He should be absolutely serviceable, and then we'll see whether he can find some growth back under Wade now.
    He'll old the edge with Williams well and let Miller, Wolfe and Ware to do their thing. He has been solid opposite Watt for four years. I believe he started immediately.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

14. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    He'll old the edge with Williams well and let Miller, Wolfe and Ware to do their thing. He has been solid opposite Watt for four years. I believe he started immediately.
    He didn't start for 2 years in Texas, but that doesn't mean he can't handle his business now. I think Crick will be pretty good for us too, but I do expect some dropoff from Jackson. If not, then Wade Phillips really is a damn genius and we need to stick his head in one of those Futurama bottles and keep him around forever.
    -- James Dean

I'd rather have our best WR compared to our 4th best front 7 player.
    Our best WR is Sanders and we might lose him I but don't think we will.

Jackson is going to be really hard to replace and I don't think we will. But we couldn't really re-sign him either. They'll find ways to plug in play different guys t find something that works. Lot of good players in a very good system. The best thing Denver has going for itself on the Denver side is a great system. System trumps players any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

We moved on without Decker.
    We moved on without Moreno.
    We moved on without Julius Thomas.
    We moved on without DRC
    We moved on without Pot Roast
    We moved on without Welker

I would have loved to have kept most of them but we let them walk and we have a Lombardi without them. That's the way this works. It's a mature franchise that has to manage their cap carefully. In all honesty, the best teams stay on top by getting and keeping the best coaches as well as the best players.

Another part of the churn is the compensation for unsigned free agents. New England can lose draft picks because they get extra bonus picks each year for letting a certain number of FAs walk. It's how the game is played.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

18. The Following 5 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Elway wouldn't have done that anyway. He's been very vocal about not dedicating too many resources to one position on the team because it hurts too much in other areas. Malik was not getting paid by us.

Whether we should have kept Wolfe or Jackson is up for debate, but I thought the rumor was that they made the same offer to both dudes, first one to take it gets it, and Wolfe took it.

Wolfe: 4/36 million with 17+ guaranteed
    Malik: 6/85.5 million with 30 million guaranteed and another 5 million in bonuses.

Malik was absolutely right not to sign the deal. His guarantees are almost as much as Wolfe's entire deal. And in return, he can't play here. Wolfe made the same decision Chris Harris made: to take "enough" money and stick around Denver longer to enjoy winning and not have to endure a craptastic environment.

It's great when players choose that. If they're happy, and they get to stay, then I'm happy. It works best when there are multiple options. DRC chose differently a couple of years ago, and missed out on the Super Bowl. Now that Malik HAS his Super Bowl, he can prioritize the cash and make sure he's set for life. I don't blame him in any way.

That's a reason it's hard to keep Super-Bowl-caliber teams together. Elway seems to be doing a pretty good job of keeping the train rolling, though, despite some guys needing to get off.
    I really like this a lot. The salary cap era pushes a lot of very linear and binary decisions on teams and players. You mentioned in another post that New England has the habit of letting an expensive guy walk while simultaneously signing a slightly less productive player and his replacement. That is very astute; I would like to add that when a team does this, they can sometimes sign multiple 'lesser but still good players' to reasonable deals. Green Bay won't pay its WR's megabucks, but they will dole out solid contracts to keep a strong corp together. I think it possible that Denver might take that same approach with the defensive line. This gets easier to do when you take the aforementioned 'New England' approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Our best WR is Sanders, lol. Uh-huh...

21. The Following 4 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Our best WR is Sanders, lol. Uh-huh...
    Sanders is the Broncos best WR right now. He's been for the last year. He's not only the Broncos most consistent WR, but he's the most dynamic. Not a knock at all on Thomas, or any other WR on the roster. It's a testament to just how good Sanders is.
    Last edited by silkamilkamonico; 05-02-2016 at 02:05 PM.

23. The Following 5 Users High Fived silkamilkamonico For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Elway wouldn't have done that anyway. He's been very vocal about not dedicating too many resources to one position on the team because it hurts too much in other areas. Malik was not getting paid by us.

Whether we should have kept Wolfe or Jackson is up for debate, but I thought the rumor was that they made the same offer to both dudes, first one to take it gets it, and Wolfe took it.

Wolfe: 4/36 million with 17+ guaranteed
    Malik: 6/85.5 million with 30 million guaranteed and another 5 million in bonuses.

Malik was absolutely right not to sign the deal. His guarantees are almost as much as Wolfe's entire deal. And in return, he can't play here. Wolfe made the same decision Chris Harris made: to take "enough" money and stick around Denver longer to enjoy winning and not have to endure a craptastic environment.

It's great when players choose that. If they're happy, and they get to stay, then I'm happy. It works best when there are multiple options. DRC chose differently a couple of years ago, and missed out on the Super Bowl. Now that Malik HAS his Super Bowl, he can prioritize the cash and make sure he's set for life. I don't blame him in any way.

That's a reason it's hard to keep Super-Bowl-caliber teams together. Elway seems to be doing a pretty good job of keeping the train rolling, though, despite some guys needing to get off.
    I also thought it was very telling just how much Wolfe wanted to remain a Bronco. Malik seemed pretty indifferent when all was said and done.

25. The Following 4 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information