Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I'm Just Gonna Say It

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Seven takeaways from John Elway and Gary Kubiak: Mark Sanchez, Sylvester Williams, rookies, and more

from article:

1. ELWAY IS CONFIDENT IN MARK SANCHEZ AS THE STARTER.

If Paxton Lynch isn't ready to seize the job in the upcoming quarterback competition, Elway believes that Sanchez will handle the role well.

"He's been in the playoffs. He's been in championship games. He's proven. He's done that, [although] he hasn't done it in a while," Elway said.

But Elway also believes that the Broncos' scheme and surrounding personnel -- which includes three recent Pro Bowl targets in RB C.J. Anderson and WRs Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders -- will maximize Sanchez's potential.

"I don't know that he's ever been in a great offensive system that takes advantage of what he can do," Elway said.

"He played okay when he did play [in Philadelphia]. He made a couple of mistakes, but he played okay. A lot of times, you get quarterbacks in the right situations, and they go in the right spot, with the right people around them, and they have a chance to take advantage of what he can do.

"And he's got a lot of talent."
    full article - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...5-f3ee8009c4e3

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    Even though for so long I said the key to winning a championship is a BALANCED offense along with a solid defense, I did not think the Broncos could possibly go ALL THE WAY with that offense.

In fact the offense broke the Craig Morton led 1977 Broncos team in a SB. 1 for 14 in 3rd down conversions. Something like that.

Anyway, it just proves what a real dynamic defense can do. Tell you the truth, I think this team has all of the makings of a real dynasty.
    I still believe that the offense is going to have to be better. Certainly Denver could have an offense that just limps along the defense another incredible job they go back to back but I don't think it's likely to happen. If Kubiak's offense is as productive here as it was at it best in Houston and Baltimore then I like Denver's chances much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post

Is Sylvester Williams not worth $6.75 mil a year? No idea what 3-4 DT's make, I know the the 4-3 DT elites are almost $20 mil a season. Would think Sylvester Williams is definitely worth $6.75 for a season unless there's a significant contract difference between 3-4 and 4-3 DT's.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Is Sylvester Williams not worth $6.75 mil a year? No idea what 3-4 DT's make, I know the the 4-3 DT elites are almost $20 mil a season. Would think Sylvester Williams is definitely worth $6.75 for a season unless there's a significant contract difference between 3-4 and 4-3 DT's.
    I don't know if he is worth that, especially with us having so much tied into Wolfe, Miller, Ware, and a first rounder in Ray.

You can only spend so much on your front seven. Even if he is a good player, he's not one of the 2 or 3 best players on the front 7. He's only proven to be a jag at this point.

6. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

I would still expect Denver to pick up the option and give themselves another year to figure out the NT situation going forward. I don't think it will be Sly years down the road for the same reason Malik is not here: somebody else will pay more than we want to, because we want the whole team to stay together.

But having Sly for two years would help us draft his replacement and still get them experience while he is here, just as we did with him and Pot Roast. We'll see.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

8. The Following User High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    Sanchez is cool. He is a hard worker and has come in here with a fantastic attitude. He has leadership skills. He is adequate for what we need early on. As long as he doesnt wear that hair thing.

Almost nobody thinks that Paxton Lynch will be ready for at least a year. Kiper said it is more like 2-3 years. None of those opinions matter. Paxton is a superior human specimen who now is going to have the best coaches in the game. Dont under estimate the value of superior tools. Marino-esque rookie season coming up. Super Bowl!
    Cecil Lammey seems to think he'd be ready by the bye week, so for the sake of this discussion lets say he is, unless Sanchez is screwing the pooch I hope Lynch is getting nothing more than garbage time. I got the impression that Lammey's prediction had as much or more to do with Sanchez screwing the pooch than Lynch being ready.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Cecil Lammey seems to think he'd be ready by the bye week, so say he is, unless Sanchez is screwing the pooch I hope Lynch is getting nothing more than garbage time. I got the impression that Lammey's prediction had more to do with Sanchez screwing the pooch than Lynch being ready.
    I don't think Sanchez will screw the pooch. His skill set fits the wc well. The running game should be vastly improved this year with good depth at RB and a an improved offensive line.

Pretty sure I read someplace yesterday that it would make him highest paid NT in league.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Cecil Lammey seems to think he'd be ready by the bye week, so for the sake of this discussion lets say he is, unless Sanchez is screwing the pooch I hope Lynch is getting nothing more than garbage time. I got the impression that Lammey's prediction had as much or more to do with Sanchez screwing the pooch than Lynch being ready.
    Hell, even if Sanchez does struggle I'm not so sure Siemian might be a better option. Lynch's college offense did next to nothing to prepare him for the NFL, his college HC laughed and refused to speculate if he would be ready for meaningful time this season.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Depends how one looks at it: INDIVIDUALLY, 3-4 NTs are worth far more than 4-3 DTs because they're far more critical to their respective base D—but there's only one of them on the field, not two, so they're COLLECTIVELY worth less. Paying one person 50% more to do the work of TWO is still much less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Pretty sure I read someplace yesterday that it would make him highest paid NT in league.
    Just going by Spotrac, it looks like the devil's in the details (as usual.) They have Dareus as highest earning DT, and his $14½M cap hit is right in the middle between 6.75M and $20M. No one's paying All Pro QB nor SB MVP pass rusher money for DTs; Geno Atkins' 2016 cap hit ($10M) is HALF as much.

It's a tough call because ALL choices may be "wrong." The spot's undervalued, IMHO, and the critical space-eating, pocket-collapsing, double-team-commanding anchor of any 3-4, which is why I like having two solid ones to handle fatigue and injury without missing a beat. I still wouldn't pay any NT as much as Von Miller though, because they can't contribute as much, and there's only so much cap space for 53 guys. Inability to replace Sly for <$7M wouldn't make him worth that.

The best "option" is probably obviating the 5th year option by re-signing Sly now and pro-rating the pain—if only because exercising the 5th year option's not a long term solution: It just buys a year to FIND that permanent fix (while the price inflates.) $6.75M for a single season is a lot when we must release or re-sign more than TWO DOZEN guys by this time next year. Remember when people said that didn't include Sly "because we have a 5th year option; he's not going anywhere"?

For perspective, a good but not great starting 3-4 NT went #11 overall the year before we got Sly, so is playing out his club option now: Dontari Poe.
    Last edited by Joel; 05-01-2016 at 08:31 PM.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Depends how one looks at it: INDIVIDUALLY, 3-4 NTs are worth far more than 4-3 DTs because they're far more critical to their respective base D—but there's only one of them on the field, not two, so they're COLLECTIVELY worth less. Paying one person 50% more to do the work of TWO is still much less expensive.

Just going by Spotrac, it looks like the devil's in the details (as usual.) They have Dareus as highest earning DT, and his $14½M cap hit is right in the middle between 6.75M and $20M. No one's paying All Pro QB nor SB MVP pass rusher money for DTs; Geno Atkins' 2016 cap hit ($10M) is HALF as much.

It's a tough call because ALL choices may be "wrong." The spot's undervalued, IMHO, and the critical space-eating, pocket-collapsing, double-team-commanding anchor of any 3-4, which is why I like having two solid ones to handle fatigue and injury without missing a beat. I still wouldn't pay any NT as much as Von Miller though, because they can't contribute as much, and there's only so much cap space for 53 guys. Inability to replace Sly for <$7M wouldn't make him worth that.

The best "option" is probably obviating the 5th year option by re-signing Sly now and pro-rating the pain—if only because exercising the 5th year option's not a long term solution: It just buys a year to FIND that permanent fix (while the price inflates.) $6.75M for a single season is a lot when we must release or re-sign more than TWO DOZEN guys by this time next year. Remember when people said that didn't include Sly "because we have a 5th year option; he's not going anywhere"?

For perspective, a good but not great starting 3-4 NT went #11 overall the year before we got Sly, so is playing out his club option now: Dontari Poe.
    Dareus isn't a good comparison, as he isn't a pure NT. Buffalo was previously playing a 4-3 if I remember correctly, they've switched back and forth, and Ryan does some weird stuff that is like a hybrid between a 3-4 and 4-3.

Of the pure 3-4 NT's, Williams would be the highest paid NT in the league, with one other guy around $6 I believe (on a fifth year option) and all others in the 2-4 million or so range.

So, the question is whether or not William is the best 3-4 NT in the game. If so, then he might be worth the 6.5.

Dareus isn't a good comparison, as he isn't a pure NT. Buffalo was previously playing a 4-3 if I remember correctly, they've switched back and forth, and Ryan does some weird stuff that is like a hybrid between a 3-4 and 4-3.

Of the pure 3-4 NT's, Williams would be the highest paid NT in the league, with one other guy around $6 I believe (on a fifth year option) and all others in the 2-4 million or so range.
    Right, Poe; I, er, "described" him, and think him very comparable to Sly in role, draft position and salary. He's been KCs anchor longer, but they've run a 3-4 longer, and didn't have guys like Big Vick or Potroast ahead of Poe on the depth chart. Dareus is the ceiling, but still far from $20M; neither "elite" nor any other kind of DT (4-3 or 3-4) is pulling down anything like that.

So, the question is whether or not William is the best 3-4 NT in the game. If so, then he might be worth the 6.5.
    I dunno; can't run a 3-4 without a SOLID NT, so maybe he is worth that. If so, we need to do a long term deal NOW, or we'll be right back here at the end of next years club option, and the only change will be that the price of a starting 3-4 NT went up and Sly got a year older. There are lots of ways to play with a five-year deal and manage each years cap hit, but a single-year club option is pretty inflexible: Take it or leave it.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Sly is not Poe, it's not even close. Poe is possibly the most dominant interior man in the game right now and is a physical freak.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Sly is not Poe, it's not even close. Poe is possibly the most dominant interior man in the game right now and is a physical freak.
    I'll take your word on that; my focus is more on offense. That said, Poe still strikes me as a good benchmark: Another former 1st rounder (hence the 5th year option) 3-4 starting NT, so he is now where Sly would be next year, for the same (inflation-adjusted) pay. If Sly reaches that benchmark so does his value; if not, not.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I'll take your word on that; my focus is more on offense. That said, Poe still strikes me as a good benchmark: Another former 1st rounder (hence the 5th year option) 3-4 starting NT, so he is now where Sly would be next year, for the same (inflation-adjusted) pay. If Sly reaches that benchmark so does his value; if not, not.
    Poe will get paid. He's 350 pounds his feet and hands are every bit as quick as Sly's. He's like a young Vince Wilfork.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information