Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Drafting Paxton Lynch Is A Genius Move By Elway

Default Why Drafting Paxton Lynch Is A Genius Move By Elway

This is a little noted aspect of the Paxton Lynch drafting, but it's importance cannot be overstated, and you know Elway was thinking of this all along.

3 years ago when the Broncos were crushed in the SB by the Seattle Seahawks 43-8, John Elway privately made a decision that ultimately resulted in a SB Championship. He was going to abandon reliance upon Denver's record setting offense and build a Championship Defense to rival Seattle's.

We know the story. He went out in FA and signed Aquib Talib, DeMarcus Ware, TJ Ward, Brandon Marshall and Darien Stewart. He drafted guys like Bradley Roby and Shane Ray. He fired his coaching staff in 2015 and brought in Kubiak and Wade Phillips. He created one of the best defenses in NFL history and won a SB.

Two years later (the fastest turnaround time from SB loser to winner in 43 years), the Broncos are World Champions.

But, there's another aspect to the Seattle success that few have noted but that Elway has not missed. They have managed their salary cap brilliantly in order to keep their defense together.

Normally, great defenses win championships, but in the salary cap and FA era it's impossible to keep together a great defense for long. Players want to cash in and get paid. Veterans want contract extensions for a lot more money. Everybody in the NFL is trying to dismantle the SB winning and steal their players. We saw that this year with teams giving $15M a year to Malik Jackson, and the Bears $7M a year to Danny Trevathan.

Seahawks Success Story: The Seahawks however, have been remarkably successful in keeping every single key player on their entire defense. They haven't lost anybody significant.

They did this by re-signing players a year early: Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril, Bobby Wagner, Kam Chancellor, KJ Wright - NONE of them was allowed to hit FA and get away. The core of their great defense is all under contract for years to come.

But how were they able to do this? The key was that they were paying Russell Wilson less than $1M a year on his rookie contract for 4 years. That allowed them to pay their defenders and keep them. Then after Wilson's SB win, they were able to give him a new contract for year 5 that pays him $22M a year. But, that was in year 5.

Elway meanwhile had a problem. He was paying Peyton Manning $19-20M a year. In 2015 he re-negotiated a reduced contract, but it was still $15M a year.

But, in drafting Paxton Lynch with the #26 pick of the draft, the Broncos are committed to paying somewhere between $9.5 and $10M total for 4 years, with a 5th year option. That's $2.5M a year.

Paying your starting QB $2.5 M a year instead of $16-$22M is a cap savings of at least $62M over 4 years! That means that Elway should be able to re-sign all his core veteran defenders over the next several years. It means they can afford to re-sign Von Miller (and I would expect that contract to get done fairly soon now that the draft is over and the Broncos are not going to be offering $7 or $8 M a year to Colin Kaepernick).

It means they can afford to re-do Brandon Marshall's contract next off-season as well as getting Darien Stewart re-signed. It means that if they need to go out in FA and get a DL and pay him $10 M for a season they could do it. They will have the same kind of flexibility to lock up their core players for years to come that have made Seattle such a successful franchise these last 5 years.

If the Broncos can coach up Paxton Lynch to be a good (not even great) starting QB over the next few years, that 5th year rookie contract will be paying dividends for years to come.

This is just brilliant cap management. Elway simply ran rings around teams like the Chiefs, the Cowboys and Browns who all wanted to get Paxton Lynch at the end of the first round. And he's secured the Broncos team future.

This is what he's talking about when he said "We don't want to win now. We want to win from now on." It's the kind of move that a superior franchise makes to make themselves a SB contender for years.

"John Elway is playing chess, while other GMs are playing checkers." -- Cecil Lammey.
    Last edited by Cugel; 04-29-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

It was well played but the amazing thing was that Lynch was still there to be taken that low in the first round for the Broncos to get him. When the season ended, I would not have given much chance Lynch would fall to #26. Certainly, by the mid-teens, he'd be off the board. Scouts tend to overplay the negative aspects of one's play and devalue guys more than they should.

The other amazing part is Carson Wentz. The draftniks suddenly dropped Lynch and started latching onto Wentz (who has the obvious disadvantage of stepping up from North Dakota St. to the NFL). If Wentz hadn't appeared from nowhere, Lynch doesn't escape the Top 10.

That's not to say Lynch doesn't have some parts of his game that need improvement but you can't coach height (to see over the linemen) or speed (to run bootlegs, eh Peyton?) or a strong downfield arm and Lynch has all three. We just have to hope he has what it takes between the ears and, if so, he could be the next Aaron Rodgers.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

3. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I'm not sure anyone thought we'd have a shot at Lynch before the draft.

Once he fell out of the top 15, I started to get interested and thought we might be able to get him. I figured there was a chance the Bills might take him, along with the Jets.

Once he passed the Jets at 20, my only concern was the Steelers who might want him as the heir-apparent to Ben.

As soon as I heard of our trade up after the Steelers selected Burns, I knew Lynch was going to be a Bronco.

5. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I'm not sure anyone thought we'd have a shot at Lynch before the draft. Once he fell out of the top 15, I started to get interested and thought we might be able to get him. I figured there was a chance the Bills might take him, along with the Jets. Once he passed the Jets at 20, my only concern was the Steelers who might want him as the heir-apparent to Ben. As soon as I heard of our trade up after the Steelers selected Burns, I knew Lynch was going to be a Bronco.
    I thought he was Denver's once he got past the Jets. I had heard Denver had a deal with GB to beat the Chiefs. Hadn't heard Jerry had an interest - so that got much more intense than I was aware.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

When the Jets didn't pull the trigger I got excited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

8. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    When the Jets didn't pull the trigger I got excited.
    Excited?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Excited?
    You know, in a state of stimulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    You know, in a state of stimulation.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I'm not sure anyone thought we'd have a shot at Lynch before the draft.

Once he fell out of the top 15, I started to get interested and thought we might be able to get him. I figured there was a chance the Bills might take him, along with the Jets.

Once he passed the Jets at 20, my only concern was the Steelers who might want him as the heir-apparent to Ben.

As soon as I heard of our trade up after the Steelers selected Burns, I knew Lynch was going to be a Bronco.
    I never that it was completely impossible even after the picks one and two were traded to other teams. But if I would just about the farm that Denver would have to go up to 15 to get him

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    I have a really good feeling about Paxton. Who would have thought we would have drafted the most physically talented QB right after winning a Super Bowl?

I was thinking the same thing......I got a feeling about Lynch. Love what he brings to the table and he fits our signal caller profile to the T.

Surprisingly athletic for a dude so tall and has a howitzer for an arm.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

I cant believe how fast his legs move. Tall people are usually long striders. This dude when he runs his feet are going like the roadrunner.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Lynch plays like a shorter qb. Lynch is quick, fast twitch and athletic.
    Osweiller plays like a guy who is 6-8 , slow and clutzy.

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Best part is DT & Sanders remain relevant. Hated the idea of Kaepernick being our starting QB.

17. The Following User High Fived Traveler For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Hated the idea of Kaepernick being our starting QB.
    Kaepernick makes me want to puke

19. The Following User High Fived Dzone For This Post:

Well, we won't have to worry about Kaepernick or Brian Hoyer. That's the best thing.

Upside of Lynch is much greater than Kaepernick. And Hoyer was just beyond horrible in the playoffs. He's completely worthless.

And instead of paying Brock Osweiler $16 M a year they are paying Lynch $2.5 M a year - saving $15m a year.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information