Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Paxton Lynch

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I suppose Jones could take Dak Prescott in the 6th round.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    He's not day 1 ready by any means, but he does have the highest ceiling of any QB in this draft. Hackenberg was my favorite, but I think Lynch has a lower floor. The Broncos actually won out on value in the trade according to the chart and Elway got his man at the same time. The Cowboys and Chiefs were both trying to move up and get him. In the end, Elway wins again.

You'll see him compared to Osweiler because of his size, but they are completely different QB's. Lynch extends plays. He evades pressure but keeps his eyes up rather than looking to just take off. He's as comfortable throwing the ball on the run as he is with his feet set. Per PFF he was the #1 rated QB in college this season on designed rollouts. That fits this offense to a T. He has a cannon for an arm and is far more mobile than his 40 time suggests.

I think Sanchez starts the season as the #1. That's probably the best course for Lynch. He may have gone to the perfect team for his development. A QB guru for a coach, a hall of fame QB as a GM to talk to, a great defense, and a team with a commitment to the run. I don't think we'll know until year 2 or 3 what we really have in this kid, but it should be fun to watch unfold.
    Just an FYI, what Broncos gave was pretty much exactly what the chart shows. Broncos 3rd was a few picks earlier than (more valuable) than would that chart shows. So, by the chart, the Broncos paid just a smidge too much.

It was masterful the way this draft played out. Elway and company are true pros.
    Back 2 Back Patches on my jacket/ Orange Zippers
    Super Bowl 50 witness

2019 Broncos Pick’em Champion
    2021 Broncos Pick’em Champion

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived BORDERLINE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Less than two months removed from being jilted at the aisle by Brock Osweiler, Broncos head honcho John Elway has found his new lanky quarterback of the future.

The Broncos traded up five spots to No. 26 overall Thursday night to take Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch, giving up the 31st overall pick and a third-rounder to Seattle in order to do so. Elway seemingly couldn't wait to let the world know that the Broncos were no longer interested in Colin Kaepernick.

Mark Sanchez suddenly looks like a real favorite to start in Week 1 for the defending Super Bowl champions, which is a sentence I never expected to write. The Broncos aren't drafting Lynch to start right away. He has a lot to learn at the NFL level and looks like a player that will need to spend his first season on the sidelines.

Lynch's mobility and arm strength make him a perfect fit for coach Gary Kubiak's system. Kubiak's history as a quarterback tutor and the team's talent on both sides of the ball make Denver a perfect fit for Lynch.

The Memphis product looks like one of the biggest winners after a wild Day 1 of the NFL Draft. In the meantime, the Broncos might have to win games with a quarterback that didn't start for a 7-9 Eagles team last year. The Broncos didn't wind up trading for Kaepernick, Sam Bradford or Nick Foles after all. They traded for a rookie. Elway had his eye on a true quarterback of the future to build his franchise around. Again.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...e-tunsil-falls

6. The Following 7 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Hey Colin and 49ers organization,

Paxton Lynch says hi.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 04-29-2016 at 12:10 PM.

8. The Following 8 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Some of those early draft grade reports are coming out. Here's Mike Tanier on Lynch:

This is the best possible situation for Lynch. Gary Kubiak's system is friendly to huge, strong-armed, semimobile guys who can only read one side of the field. Lynch can be that guy. Mark Sanchez is around to handle the chores while Lynch learns some very basic basics. The Denver Broncos defense will provide him some 16-13 victories when he takes the helm. Lynch has a better chance of developing in Denver than he would have had in Cleveland or New York.

As for the Broncos, they put themselves in such a desperate situation that they had to trade up to select an extremely long-range, moderately high-risk project at quarterback. Lynch could be as good as or better than Brock Osweiler in three years. But the Broncos may spend three years wondering why they didn't just pay Osweiler for three years to stay in the thick of the Super Bowl picture.

Grade: C
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...t-card/page/27

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Love the way he runs the ball like a running back- A guy 6-7 who can get his shoulders low and run people over-unlike Osweiller who is always upright, clumsy and slow and an easy target to knock out. Plus his throwing motion/release is quick, unlike Oz who takes forever to set up, wind up and release the ball.
    Brock who?

11. The Following User High Fived Dzone For This Post:

Andy Benoit:

26. Denver: Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis

Presumably, the is the first time in NFL history that a team has lost a 6-7 starting quarterback and replaced him with another 6-7 starting quarterback. The belief in the building at Memphis was that Lynch can be a good pro, but it’s vital that he sit and learn for at least a year. Gary Kubiak runs a very traditional zone offense. Lynch’s system at Memphis was nothing like it. No need to worry, Mark Sanchez: You’ll still have every opportunity to prove yourself this season.
    http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/29/n...ound-breakdown

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

I dislike developmental QBs in the first round as a general rule. I tend to REALLY dislike them when the team is a Super Bowl team right now and putting the combined first-and-third round talent on the shelf for a year or two doesn't help you with your aspirations to go Bowling again with your peaking roster at all.

I wasn't fond of the Osweiler pick for the same reasons (though I like Lynch more than I liked Oz). I'd rather have drafted somebody like Osemele and helped protect Peyton Manning at the time, y'know? If you want to develop a QB, take a dude on day 2 or 3 and use your high-value picks to help this team, not the 2017 or 2018 team. The locker room doesn't want to see "Trade up for developmental QB" flash across the screen either. They want to win now too, and Sanchez will need all the help he can get in that regard.

Elway is thinking about competing for the next decade though, not just the next year. Replacing a Hall of Fame QB is the key, and most teams can't do it easily. The teams that can tended to get lucky. Aaron Rodgers falling for inane reasons. Steve Young getting to sit behind Montana for a few years and fix his bad habits.

Lynch is best-served if he sits like Rodgers, IMO. The writer who described Lynch as "lanky" above has no clue what the word means. Lynch is built like a brick house. He's not Big Ben sized, but he's around Cam Newton. A mix of those two dudes is basically where he's at. Ben was another guy who fell for dumb reasons (read: Cleveland is stupid). Ben was more ready to start now, but Denver is willing to turn this year into the short Matt-Cassel era of the Patriots (10-6, cusp of the playoffs) in order to try to bridge the After Manning chasm without dying in the ravine like Miami has since Marino (two double-digit win seasons since 2001).

If Lynch is what Elway thinks he is, that is absolutely worth it. I'm viewing it like drafting Big Ben, who was supposed to sit behind Maddox for a chunk of time but was pressed into service earlier than expected and led that team to greatness. I don't think Lynch is ready, but that doesn't eliminate him as the right man for the job of being Denver's QB for the next decade-plus. I said it in other threads, but his arm is tremendous, he's got all kinds of heart and passion, and he fits the "mobile guy with a big gun" mold that Kubes wants. Looking for the sweet spot between Newton running all over the field and Big Ben standing tall in the pocket with dudes draped all over him, maybe Elway found the just-right fit for us.

Welcome to the Broncos, Mr. Lynch. We are the best organization you could have come to, and I certainly hope you are the best thing that could have happened to us. Go study your ass off - with Sanchez as our QB we may need you to be on Big Ben's learning curve, y'know?
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

14. The Following 8 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Here's Peter King on our pick (mostly about Elway being the man):

Elway looked like he was getting painted into a corner. But then, to move up five spots in the round Thursday night, he outbid Dallas for Lynch by paying a third-round pick, the quite palatable 94th overall choice (last five picks at No. 94: Ty Montgomery, Terrance West, Brandon Williams, Jayron Hosley, Kenrick Ellis) and landed his prize.

“Do I have any regrets about this whole thing?” Elway asked from Denver late Thursday night. “No. We’re thrilled to have ended up where we are, with Paxton. If you had said to me, ‘Here are your four options,’ and you named the four we just went through, this is the one we’d take. We think Paxton, long-term, is a perfect fit for our offense.”
    “You’re right,” Elway said. “Losing Brock … at the end I thought Houston was probably going to get him no matter what. With Colin, I thought we were really close. That one surprised me a little. And I did talk to Philadelphia about Sam. I just thought they were asking way too much.

“I just think there’s always more than one solution to a problem. It may not be exactly the solution you’d want, but in football, in forming a roster, it’s not about taking the easy way—it’s about taking the right way. All the resources you have go into building your team, and if you use too many resources in one area, you have to account for that in another area. So I am comfortable how we used our resources here.”
    I asked Elway: “So you’re comfortable now, with Mark Sanchez starting your opener and maybe starting the whole season?”

“Sure,” he said. “Yeah. I would also say we never say never to anything.”
    http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/28/n...s-paxton-lynch

16. The Following 7 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Here's Peter King on our pick (mostly about Elway being the man):

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/28/n...s-paxton-lynch
    That was an excellent article - I was going to post it. Here's a couple more paragraphs (should be OK since it's a long read...)

The story is not just that Denver traded up five spots in the round, from 31 to 26 with Seattle, to take Lynch. The story also is what a good job GM John Elway did in managing a minefield situation after the decline and retirement of Peyton Manning, with the mega-expectations that come with trying to repeat as champs.

Consider, first, the financial implications on a franchise trying to keep most of its star players.

Lynch, with his 26th-place slot in the round, will sign a four-year contract worth about $9.1 million.

Brock Osweiler, the one-time heir to Manning, bolted to Houston for four years and $72 million, after starting seven career games in Denver.
    His praise of Elway is pretty significant.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    Love the way he runs the ball like a running back- A guy 6-7 who can get his shoulders low and run people over-unlike Osweiller who is always upright, clumsy and slow and an easy target to knock out. Plus his throwing motion/release is quick, unlike Oz who takes forever to set up, wind up and release the ball.
    Brock who?
    Lynch has better passing skills than Oz. He has the same "first read, second read...what the hell was I doing?" thing that Oz has, but Oz still has it after FOUR YEARS as a pro. Maybe Brock will get past that in Houston with more live game reps - and Lynch is better able to escape and do things on the move than Brock for sure.

Lynch's raw skills are tremendous. Dude throws a pretty deep ball, can hit the seams with velo, has nice touch on some loft balls over the line (unlike, say, Elway who always tried to break the fingers of his receivers just because he could). And he's not afraid of running or contact either, as he enjoys running guys over. He's definitely willing to take contact, and dish it (although he should limit that part as a pro). If Tebow could throw that might be Lynch, so all former fans of Tebow's potential should be thrilled, right?

He's going to need a lot of work on his under-snap stuff, pre-snap reads, footwork (although he's been working on that part already and his pro day was really nice)... he needs work. How MUCH work depends on how fast he learns. I hope he's a quick learner.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Worst case scenario...Lynch is about 63 million cheaper than Oz and he only has 7 games less experience.

22. The Following 13 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    Brock who?
    He's a former RB that ran a Wing T in high school. Which is partly why he's a bit raw at QB.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Worst case scenario...Lynch is about 63 million cheaper than Oz and he only has 7 games less experience.
    63 million that can be used to keep this defense elite.

25. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information