Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Comcast makes TV service available without set-top box

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Comcast makes TV service available without set-top box

Comcast Corp. fired back at the Federal Communications Commission's set-top box proposal by making its full TV lineup available on Roku devices and Samsung smart TVs for the first time, without requiring customers to lease its proprietary box.

The company launched a program Wednesday to partner with any and all device makers to offer the app more widely.

"We remain committed to giving our customers more choice in how, when and where they access their subscription," said Mark Hess, senior vice president in the Office of the Chief Technology Officer at Comcast Cable.

Comcast's move comes amid a heated debate raging in Washington over the merits of a recent push by the FCC and the White House to force operators to decouple their cable TV service from proprietary set-top boxes they lease to customers.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/business/c...ithout-set-top

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

It's the wave of the future. Less hassle and mess. I have had Roku for years and love it.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

3. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

So can you dvr with a roku, or is all content basically on-demand. I'm clueless about the roku, but am becoming a little more intrigued.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Roku is Beastly.

Well, you're going to need broadband internet for it to work. Hey, guess where you can get that from?

#smartmarketing
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Quote Originally Posted by olathebroncofan View Post
    So can you dvr with a roku, or is all content basically on-demand. I'm clueless about the roku, but am becoming a little more intrigued.
    No, it's a live streaming device.

I think they wouldn't lose as any customers if they let you go a la carte. People don't want to pay for channels they don't watch.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Well, you're going to need broadband internet for it to work. Hey, guess where you can get that from?

#smartmarketing
    Verizon.

#NostraNorth

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I think they wouldn't lose as any customers if they let you go a la carte. People don't want to pay for channels they don't watch.
    The wife and i have been screaming about this forever. What the hell am i going to do with 20 plus channels in spanish? I mean really....

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    The wife and i have been screaming about this forever. What the hell am i going to do with 20 plus channels in spanish? I mean really....
    It would cost more going a la carte. Channel packages are put together to keep the pricing down as much as possible. Providers have to pay certain channels fees to broadcast, and some are much higher than others, while some are free or very minimal cost. That's why they're packaged the way they are.

If everyone wanted The History Channel as an example, they would know it and charge a lot more in broadcasting fees to the provider than they do now.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    It would cost more going a la carte. Channel packages are put together to keep the pricing down as much as possible. Providers have to pay certain channels fees to broadcast, and some are much higher than others, while some are free or very minimal cost. That's why they're packaged the way they are.

If everyone wanted The History Channel as an example, they would know it and charge a lot more in broadcasting fees to the provider than they do now.
    Comcast can't negotiate? Get on the phones Joe! Lower those prices!

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I dropped the video part of cable and have adapted to high-speed internet and Roku. The Roku device has some built-in memory but no DVR. If you want your programs recorded, you have to find a way to do it yourself (or subscribe to something like Hulu or Netflix where you can stream episodes later). For Sports TV, I've tried different things, including videotaping with a VCR, but not truly happy with any of them yet.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

16. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Comcast can't negotiate? Get on the phones Joe! Lower those prices!
    LOL. I'm pretty sure the people we have doing that are far better than I would be!

Dish is losing all the Viacom channels right now in Colorado because they can't come to a new agreement. Viacom wants more $$, and Dish doesn't want to pay the increase.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post

Kind of funny because i dont pay for the THC with our basic cable package but yet on the Roku there is a History Channel App to where i can still watch any episodes that have aired on it such as Vikings and i dont have to pay anything at all. lol

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Kind of funny because i dont pay for the THC with our basic cable package but yet on the Roku there is a History Channel App to where i can still watch any episodes that have aired on it such as Vikings and i dont have to pay anything at all. lol
    Enjoy it while you can. Nothing is free.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information