Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Orlando is laying the groundwork to host NFL games by 2017

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Orlando is laying the groundwork to host NFL games by 2017

NFL games could be coming to Orlando, Florida. In fact, one Florida sports executive "guarantees" it.

Steve Hogan, the CEO of Florida Citrus Sports, told the Orlando Sentinel Tuesday that he's confident the city will host NFL games in the very near future.

"I promise you, I guarantee you, we will have NFL football in this stadium in 2017 -- one way or another," Hogan told the Sentinel. "I'm not just talking about preseason games. Regular-season games are also in play."

The topic was discussed after nearly 50,000 fans flocked to the Citrus Bowl last weekend to watch Florida State's spring game. With so many people interested in watching a college intrasquad scrimmage, you would think the enthusiasm over an NFL game would be through the roof.
    rest - http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/c...caneers-041216

Why do they think two NFL teams would want to go to Orlando during the regular season to play a football game? I guess I could see preseason, but not regular season.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

That's a pretentious assumption. If it were the case there would be nfl teams in Mississippi and Alabama.

The citrus bowl is crappie. We went there a few years back for my son's all American football game. The place is old. No way someone pays nfl prices to see a game there.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The Florida Jaguars. Four games in Jacksonville, four in Orlando.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

beats sending games to freakin' china!

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    The Florida Jaguars. Four games in Jacksonville, four in Orlando.
    I hope this is the case, other wise, we'd be loosing either the Raiders or Chargers as rivals.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I thought the Jaguars were destined for London, although that fits my logistics plan. Move the Jags to London and to the AFC East (Miami goes to the AFC South). Six games (including all three divisional opponents) will play in London and three other visiting teams as well. Training camp, the exhibition season and two regular season games are done at the Jags' "American home" which might be in Jacksonville, Orlando or possibly Toronto.

Moving the Jags to the AFC East would be essential because of frequent London flights to New York, Boston and Toronto (near Buffalo) would be a hell of a lot easier than trying to get regular international flights in or out of Indianapolis, Houston or Nashville.

Having an "American home" for the London team would allow schedules to work around bye weeks where teams are not too disadvantaged by the jet lag with the exceptions being early and late in the season where bye weeks don't exist. The London team would have three-week "layovers" in London twice a season and the rest of the season in the U.S. so the players don't get zapped continually flying across the Atlantic. Visiting teams would either get the bye week before their London game or at least a Thursday night game the week before to give them time to adjust.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

That's the problem with simply moving one or two teams to Europe while keeping them in the NFL: Visiting teams play on 8 hours jet lag all season; it just alternates between European ones and their US competitors. They need to just bite the bullet and start a European league, incidentally relegating the Jags and Bucs along the way (both teams are awful and, far more importantly, money pits incapable of selling tickets at home, but with big crowds awaiting them at English stadia.)

The problem is that takes decently paid natives who won't bolt to the NFL when they show the first hint of talent. How much would you pay to watch soccer played by foreigners who aren't good enough for FIFA but run back to it the first time they get a phone call? That's how well an NFL farm league would (and did) work in Europe.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I keep expecting Muslim terrorists to destroy the notion of NFL football in Europe anyway. The first time a plane with an NFL team blows up over the Atlantic as a bunch of jihadis jump to the internet to claim credit and high-five each other in the name of Allah, the globehopping Goodell will have an epic problem on his hands.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

They already had a NFL Europe, and it failed... miserably. It was a complete and total failure. So no, they don't need to start ANOTHER league...again.

Also, taking two teams out of the NFL would make the divisions unbalanced. One division, both conferences, would have fewer teams than the rest of the NFL does. That doesn't make sense, as they then would have to try and filll that schedule with them playing someone, somewhere, outside their division to fill those 2 games. Four games if you count both teams. That would mean additional 'bye' weeks, purely to have teams available to play the teams that have fewer teams within their divisions.

Doesn't make sense at all.

The games in Europe work right now, because it's easy to fill up a stadium once or twice a year. Try filling that stadium up 8 times a year, and on a regular bases, in a society that doesn't support football. They don't have football in their schools, they dont' grow up playing it, and it's not something that is a part of their culture. So going to see a game once a year is an 'event'.... its a novelty. But it can't won't be sustained.
    Last edited by Ravage!!!; 04-13-2016 at 12:43 PM.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

13. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    I keep expecting Muslim terrorists to destroy the notion of NFL football in Europe anyway. The first time a plane with an NFL team blows up over the Atlantic as a bunch of jihadis jump to the internet to claim credit and high-five each other in the name of Allah, the globehopping Goodell will have an epic problem on his hands.
    They going to shoot it down with Missiles? From what location? Why are the planes flying over areas with these surface to air missile launchers hanging around, or do the terrorist have floating platforms out in the middle of the ocean?

If not shooting it down, with their hand held anti-aircraft launcher, then it would mean that they somehow snuck a bomb on the plane. Pretty unlikely, either way.
    Last edited by Ravage!!!; 04-13-2016 at 12:39 PM.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

I did not take the article to mean that they want a team in Orlando. They just want to have NFL teams play games there. As I said, I would assume two teams would be willing to play a preseason game there, but I can not believe two teams would be willing to play a regular season game there.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    I did not take the article to mean that they want a team in Orlando. They just want to have NFL teams play games there. As I said, I would assume two teams would be willing to play a preseason game there, but I can not believe two teams would be willing to play a regular season game there.
    I'm with you. I can see a publicity game in the "Disney" area...but why would teams be willing to play in a different stadium, and lose out on playing the home game for the home fans? My only guess would be because of the money Orlando would be willing to pay. But that doesn't seem to make much sense, either.

I guess it could be either Tampa, Miami, or Jacksonvill willing to play a couple of their games in another florida city to expand their reach and/or fanbase. but, again, that doesn't seem to make much sense.

18. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    They already had a NFL Europe, and it failed... miserably. It was a complete and total failure. So no, they don't need to start ANOTHER league...again.
    Tell them that, because they're sure trying hard anyway.

Also, taking two teams out of the NFL would make the divisions unbalanced. One division, both conferences, would have fewer teams than the rest of the NFL does. That doesn't make sense, as they then would have to try and filll that schedule with them playing someone, somewhere, outside their division to fill those 2 games. Four games if you count both teams. That would mean additional 'bye' weeks, purely to have teams available to play the teams that have fewer teams within their divisions.
    Doesn't make sense at all.
    No, you just go back to 6 divisions of 5 teams, and when the playoffs roll around you admit exactly a third of the teams instead of everyone who avoided a losing season plus a few who didn't. It worked fine for the NFL before Bud Adams and Art Modell screwed it up, and reportedly STILL works fine for MLB.

The games in Europe work right now, because it's easy to fill up a stadium once or twice a year. Try filling that stadium up 8 times a year, and on a regular bases, in a society that doesn't support football. They don't have football in their schools, they dont' grow up playing it, and it's not something that is a part of their culture. So going to see a game once a year is an 'event'.... its a novelty. But it can't won't be sustained.
    Do you realize London ALONE has no less than THREE (resident) American football teams playing annually? Playing 2-3 European games/year has worked so well for owners that they're trying to DOUBLE that as soon as this season. Half a dozen games will satisfy them no more though; not with NFL owners like the Glazers sitting there thinking, My Man U team sells out every home game but my Bucs team barely fills HALF their home stadium; seems like there's a simple solution....

There's ALREADY a European gridiron league that's played annually for nearly THIRTY YEARS: It's just semi-pro, and the players mostly American expatriates. If the NFL were smart it'd be developing that by recruiting natives, mainly by sponsoring existing teams in exchange for advertising (much as FIFA teams do) and providing salaries big enough the native recruits and all other players could quit their day jobs to practice and play full time.

The owners feel entitled to what the modern NFL has become though, so don't want to pay their dues like the original NFL owners who also played and coached while struggling to make payroll by selling enough tickets each week. In other words, like European football teams have been doing for decades; if anyone ever develops American football in Europe into a sport as profitable as the NFL or FIFA, it'll probably be them, not the NFL.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    I keep expecting Muslim terrorists to destroy the notion of NFL football in Europe anyway.
    I'm sure you do....

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information