Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Playstation Vue

Does anyone know anything about Static and Dynamic IP addresses?

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Does anyone know anything about Static and Dynamic IP addresses?
    What was your question about them?
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

Quote Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks View Post
    What was your question about them?
    Well here's the issue. I ran into the same problem on Vue. The chat person says that I may have a Dynamic IP address. He said it uses more than one IP address or location. So when I get on Vue, it may pick up a new location, which doesn't work. He said that I need a Static IP address. Does that make sense? Also, how do I make this happen? It's sunday and I cannot reach my internet provider.

Well here's the issue. I ran into the same problem on Vue. The chat person says that I may have a Dynamic IP address. He said it uses more than one IP address or location. So when I get on Vue, it may pick up a new location, which doesn't work. He said that I need a Static IP address. Does that make sense? Also, how do I make this happen? It's sunday and I cannot reach my internet provider.
    Interesting and good information - if Vue requires a Static IP it probably means I wouldn't be interested in it as I'm doing my best not to mess with them going forward. We have so many devices here I find them to be a pain.

Anyway I've used http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm many times to help me set up Static IPs at home. Click around there and see if it helps - your shouldn't need the help of your internet provider though my personal experience unless, possibly, you use Uverse.

I ran into the same requirements with some of the IP cameras I've run, and Slingboxes never seem to run right with DHCP. Also sometimes gaming situations require a network with that setup. Again though, I'm trying to stick with devices going forward that don't require me to configure my network that way these days.
    Last edited by tomjonesrocks; 04-10-2016 at 09:17 AM.

Interesting and good information - if Vue requires a Static IP it probably means I wouldn't be interested in it as I'm doing my best not to mess with them going forward. We have so many devices here I find them to be a pain.

Anyway I've used http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm many times to help me set up Static IPs at home. Click around there and see if it helps - your shouldn't need the help of your internet provider though my personal experience unless, possibly, you use Uverse.

I ran into the same requirements with some of the IP cameras I've run, and Slingboxes never seem to run right with DHCP. Also sometimes gaming situations require a network with that setup. Again though, I'm trying to stick with devices going forward that don't require me to configure my network that way these days.
    I may just stay away from PS Vue until they get this figured out. The computer guy I always go to said there's no way PS can keep expecting everyone to get Static IPs or just not get their service.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    *glances up from his free 500+ channels*

Hi Joe.
    Are 50 of them Spanish channels? Hate that about Comcast. I've called quite a few times asking to trade them out for channels I'd actually watch. Nope. Asked if they could just turn them off so they weren't in my lineup, nope. 50 useless channels.
    Last edited by GEM; 04-10-2016 at 10:26 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Are 50 of them Spanish channels? Hate that about Comcast. I've called quite a few times asking to trade them out for channels I'd actually watch. Nope. Asked if they could just turn them off so they weren't in my lineup, nope. 50 useless channels.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

I may just stay away from PS Vue until they get this figured out. The computer guy I always go to said there's no way PS can keep expecting everyone to get Static IPs or just not get their service.
    Well there's nothing really wrong with a Static IP setup, and it's really just a couple hour set-it-and-forget it thing - but it really starts to suck when you have a family and everyone has devices depending on what you want to set up (shared drives, etc).
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Well there's nothing really wrong with a Static IP setup, and it's really just a couple hour set-it-and-forget it thing - but it really starts to suck when you have a family and everyone has devices depending on what you want to set up (shared drives, etc).
    Most internet companies will charge for a Static IP as well. Some, like Comcast, require you to have a business account as well. With IPv6, that will probably change in the future.

I think there are a couple in there....one of the 10 HBO's is Spanish I think, but its no big deal. I have every channel/package DirecTV has, except the adult stuff. Sunday ticket, extra innings, center ice, league pass, yada yada yada. 3 HDdvrs (genies with 6 tuners each). Total cost: $0. #winning
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

My internet is also screwed up now. This isn't my day.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Static IP = you get the same IP address everytime you connect to your ISP (often an additional charge).
    Dynamic IP = you may get a different IP address than the last time you signed on. This allows your ISP to carry fewer IPs using a DHCP server to pass them out to users as they log in.
    The Playstation Vue is apparently using your IP address to track who you are and if yours keeps changing because your ISP is passing out different ones each time you log in, your Vue thinks you've hacked into their programming.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

I called my ISP and they said it would be $20 a month for a Static IP.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

That's not unusual but, remember, you're saving money by dropping satellite/cable, right?
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    That's not unusual but, remember, you're saving money by dropping satellite/cable, right?
    Not really, if I'm adding $20 a month.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information