Poll: As a community, should we change the banning process

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll about bans

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I dont know, seemed pretty straight forward to me. Either you think there can be some changes or you think things are fine the way they are.

2. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I guess this my point. If people find it harsh, do they want to do something or not. You picked not, that's cool.
    Personally I haven't found a reason to seriously question the mod judgment based on their track record enough to NEED a change. Yes the SF ban seems harsh but I assume they had a valid reason based on the track record.

I know others disagree on the track record though.

Even so, if the question becomes "should we get more detail behind bans" I'll vote yes just because I can't help but be interested in the dirty details behind the scenes. I'd be all about those.

The poll is vague though.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

Mods should have term limits. I realize that's not the point of your thread, Dave, but maybe that's something we should discuss.

I think they do a good job though. Go lurk on the Mane for a few days, especially the politics section. It's a free for all littered with posters insulting each other.

I'm fine with the system as it is. I don't feel I'm owed an explanation as to what went in to banning someone. I'm disappointed that WTE didn't ask to be reinstated. He was good for general chit chat. We don't have enough posters who are fans of other teams.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

The poll is supposed to be vague. It's a logistical process in that either things are fine, or they are not. Once you have identified a problem you then work to solving it. If there is not a problem then the logistical process ends as there is nothing to fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

7. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

I think what some are questioning, and I could be completely wrong so shoot me if I am, is the length.

We try to adhere to a system (fully dependent on what the offender did and the level of the offense):

First ban: 3 days
    Second ban: 7 days
    Third ban: 30 days

Now in between all of those we are sending CYP's (Concerning Your Post pm's) that ask the offender to stop the behavior). They usually get a few of these before a ban is even considered, unless the problem is so bad that it takes it right to a ban. We also warn the poster in thread and have even sent normal PM's to the poster saying it may get them in trouble.

To get to a 30 day, the offender has had most likely no less than 10+ warnings of any type.

Also, we don't adhere to that exclusively, there could be a small problem in between the 3 and 7 and we decide to go with a 3 day again.

It could be for any behavior. It doesn't have to be for the same behavior to get to that longer term bans. Say the offender gets a 3 day for spamming and then they go on a personal attack on another member, they don't get another 3 day for that, that would elevate to a 7 day. It's pretty hard to get any ban around this board and there have been quite a few times where we have voted on a ban, but haven't enacted it quickly due to the # of mods around to do so. When we drop the ball like that, we don't enforce the ban.

Just some insight into how it works, if that helps.

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Mods should have term limits. I realize that's not the point of your thread, Dave, but maybe that's something we should discuss.

I think they do a good job though. Go lurk on the Mane for a few days, especially the politics section. It's a free for all littered with posters insulting each other.

I'm fine with the system as it is. I don't feel I'm owed an explanation as to what went in to banning someone. I'm disappointed that WTE didn't ask to be reinstated. He was good for general chit chat. We don't have enough posters who are fans of other teams.

Ive brought that up a few times in the past as well. People often think this site is too strict (something i dont agree with) but if you go hang on the Mane for a while its an open free for all over there so if you are someone who doesnt care about flaming, trolling, insulting, etc maybe thats the kind of board you should be posting at. I like the fact there are some rules in place here and that for those who constantly break them are given ample chance to correct themselves and if not are gone through a chain of different ban time periods depending on how many infractions they continue to get.

As to mod limits, dont really think its necessary especially when the current mod group seems to be quite fine.

11. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Exactly Keeper and North - no point in coming up with lots of options if everyone else (as they seem to be) are totally happy with the process.

If people felt there was scope to make changes - vote yes, and those could be explored outside the poll.

As it is everyone is happy, there is no need to take the discussion further.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    The only problem with this is it probably causes the mods way more of a headache than it's worth, just banning and rebanning the same 20 people every month. I mean, at some point you have to act like an adult and follow the rules on here. I have been banned my fair share of times, so I toned it down and started ignoring people I don't get along with. It's not hard. I don't really feel sorry for anyone who can't embrace that and don't really have a problem with them being banned. WTE and HotCarl are really the only two permabans I have ever disagreed with, but it seems like WTE doesn't even want to come back so there is no point in me bitching about it.

I would agree but how many months have we had more than 2 bans? In fact, how many months have we had 1 consecutive ban? I am willing to bet its no anywhere near that. Everyone would still follow the rules (or not). It is not like people do not break the rules for fear of a Perma Ban....Look how many times, MO, WTE, Shane, even you have been banned for a period of time....They still post. They get busted. They did their time. They are back and posting. I do not see how it is anymore time spent for the mods then currently.

Aside from WTE who was the last perma? When was it? and you cannot count SRs wife. She made one post!
    If someone really crosses the line hit them with a 5 month ban.
    But perma bans because people dont agree with one another are stupid. Those should only be for the examples I mentioned initially.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I would agree but how many months have we had more than 2 bans? In fact, how many months have we had 1 consecutive ban? I am willing to bet its no anywhere near that. Everyone would still follow the rules (or not). It is not like people do not break the rules for fear of a Perma Ban....Look how many times, MO, WTE, Shane, even you have been banned for a period of time....They still post. They get busted. They did their time. They are back and posting. I do not see how it is anymore time spent for the mods then currently.

Aside from WTE who was the last perma? When was it? and you cannot count SRs wife. She made one post!
    If someone really crosses the line hit them with a 5 month ban.
    But perma bans because people dont agree with one another are stupid. Those should only be for the examples I mentioned initially.
    Who has been permabanned because people didn't agree with them?

What is this about SR's wife? What did I miss?
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    What is this about SR's wife? What did I miss?
    Some poster created an account called "SR is full of shit" and told him to stop cheating on his wife. It seems to have been a hoax, though.

Some poster created an account called "SR is full of shit" and told him to stop cheating on his wife. It seems to have been a hoax, though.
    Holy shit.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

if not, next time there is a ban, people need to suck it up
    Bingo. The mods are extremely patient and tolerant, more than I would be. They give most of these fools multiple chances to hang themselves before pulling the trigger.

Stop whining and suck it up.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Bingo. The mods are extremely patient and tolerant, more than I would be. They give most of these fools multiple chances to hang themselves before pulling the trigger.

Stop whining and suck it up.
    Are you suggesting starting a poll to discuss the way this place is run is whining?

The only problem with this is it probably causes the mods way more of a headache than it's worth, just banning and rebanning the same 20 people every month. I mean, at some point you have to act like an adult and follow the rules on here. I have been banned my fair share of times, so I toned it down and started ignoring people I don't get along with. It's not hard. I don't really feel sorry for anyone who can't embrace that and don't really have a problem with them being banned. WTE and HotCarl are really the only two permabans I have ever disagreed with, but it seems like WTE doesn't even want to come back so there is no point in me bitching about it.
    Who has been permabanned because people didn't agree with them?

Couldnt tell ya cuz ive never cared. But what was WTE Perma banned for? Do you think whatever it was he did that it was worthy of a lifetime ban? Or HotCarl? Or MO? Or Nature Boy?
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information