Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Competition Committee Move Touchback to 25 ***MERGED***

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default NFL Competition Committee Move Touchback to 25 ***MERGED***

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...s?sf22963065=1

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- One day, it has long been assumed, the NFL will outlaw the kickoff. It's one of the most dangerous plays in football, a sub-concussive factory, and as New York Giants owner John Mara said just this week: "You've got to do whatever you can to protect [players]."Here's another idea: What if the league manages a passive end to the kickoff, one that functionally eliminates its impact without formally banning it?
    We might be moving in that direction already, and there will be no doubt if owners approve a proposal to move the touchback to the 25-yard line for 2016. The NFL competition committee has endorsed the idea, and a vote is expected here this week.
    Next it will be punt returns and guys like Norwood (who had a great return in the SB) will be out of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...s?sf22963065=1

Next it will be punt returns and guys like Norwood (who had a great return in the SB) will be out of a job.
    It's not happening this year, anyway. Competition committee passed rule changes today and this wasn't one of them.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I think eliminating the kick for PAT is easier and changes nothing. I agree the kickoff return has probably had more crippling results than any other play. If they still want some excitement, make the kickoff like target practice - @ the 40 if out of bounds, @20 if over the end line @15 if kick dies in the end zone, @25 if dies in the field of play, @5 if dies in end zone between the hashes...
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

I think this is a perfect example of what they should do for kickoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

5. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

I hate special teams as it is, so anything to lessen its importance I would support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I wonder if they will change this at the collegiate and high school level as well? I mean, the NFL shouldnt be exclusive when it comes to player safety.

Punt returns are more exciting to me anyway. There is much more gamesmanship involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Punt returns are more exciting to me anyway. There is much more gamesmanship involved.
    I hate punt returns. I wish there was a way to get rid of those, too.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

11. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

If they get rid of kick-offs, they eliminate on-side kicks. I don't see them ever doing this.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    If they get rid of kick-offs, they eliminate on-side kicks. I don't see them ever doing this.
    Get rid of that shit, too.

You're correct, though. The alternative would mean that if teams wanted to ever use the onsides kick everyone would literally know it was coming because, well der, the we're not starting with the ball on our 20 automatically. Which would also mean that teams would carry a kicker for like five snaps a year.

But god I hate special teams.

Onside kicks are horribly dangerous. They should do away with those at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Onside kicks are horribly dangerous. They should do away with those at the same time.
    They're just so ******* lame. Like you're losing, you probably deserve to lose the game, your big chance is to kick a ball just over ten yards and hope you recover a football on a quasi-fluke play.

17. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

they should stop playing all together or just get rid of tackling. Maybe just tickle the guy down or something.

keeper seems to hate everything about the game except for 3 yard runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    they should stop playing all together or just get rid of tackling. Maybe just tickle the guy down or something.

keeper seems to hate everything about the game except for 3 yard runs.
    I love sacks, TD's, safeties, big hits over the middle, flea flickers, pick sixes, zone blitzing, the playaction. I love the meat and potato of footballs. Not tertiary garbage.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    They're just so ******* lame. Like you're losing, you probably deserve to lose the game, your big chance is to kick a ball just over ten yards and hope you recover a football on a quasi-fluke play.
    While having a 50/50 probability someone gets concussed on the play.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information