Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: NFL Competition Committee Move Touchback to 25 ***MERGED***

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    How will moving the touchback to the 25 possibly make more people return it?
    Kickers will practice kicking it shorter than the 25 yard line. The fielding team would either let it stay there, which is shorter than the 25 yard TB spot, or 'standard of where you should start your drive' or return it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    Kickers will practice kicking it shorter than the 25 yard line. The fielding team would either let it stay there, which is shorter than the 25 yard TB spot, or 'standard of where you should start your drive' or return it.
    Has that happened in college?

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I don't really watch it until it's bowl time.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

I don't really watch it until it's bowl time.
    So you never get to see your team?

5. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

So you never get to see your team?
    They make a few bowl games here and there, but your point is well taken.

They make a few bowl games here and there, but your point is well taken.
    Meh. I still miss Rich Brooks. One of my top five favorite NCAAF coaches ever.

8. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Meh. I still miss Rich Brooks. One of my top five favorite NCAAF coaches ever.
    DD, how do you feel about the rule?

DD, how do you feel about the rule?
    Moving from the 20 to the 25? I don't know. I like how it's the same as NCAA. I hate when their rules differ. It will cause guys to bring the ball out of the end zone less. But as stated, kickers might try to use strategy and land it inside the 5. I think it would be a risk. The kicker just needs to boot it out of the end zone. I think they already moved the kickoff from the 30 to 35 recently. Ideally, I'd rather scrap the whole kickoff thing altogether.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I'm saying it's a joke. Who suffers more from CTE, Wave?
    You really have to look at it from a proportional perspective. Do linemen get more CTE than special teamers? Probably. But they play 40, 50 snaps a game while there are maybe 10-15 kickoff/punt plays in a game? So obviously you will see a greater number of injuries among the guys who play more snaps.

I don't know the actual numbers so this is more hypothetical, but let's just say in your average game you see 2 injuries on kickoffs and 4 injuries on offense/defense plays. Those numbers would seem to show that offense/defense is twice as dangerous as special teams. But those 4 injuries happen over 100 plays or so (between both teams) while the 2 special teams injuries happen in only 15 plays. So while you do see a greater volume of serious injury on offensive/defensive plays, there is a much higher proportional rate of injuries on kickoff/punt returns.

The NFL will never be able to entirely rid the game of risk without fundamentally changing it, so does that mean they should just never try any little thing here and there to help? It's not an all or nothing scenario.

Moving from the 20 to the 25? I don't know. I like how it's the same as NCAA. I hate when their rules differ.
    I'm just the opposite. I hate it when the NFL moves to an NCAA rule.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

The kickers in teh NFL are much much better than the one's in college. They aren't just the top 32, as kickers last 15 years in the NFL. So how many different kickers make the starting rotation in the NFL each year? Not many.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I'm just the opposite. I hate it when the NFL moves to an NCAA rule.
    I don't care who copies who as long as they're the same

15. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    The NFL will never be able to entirely rid the game of risk without fundamentally changing it, so does that mean they should just never try any little thing here and there to help? It's not an all or nothing scenario.
    But shouldnt it be? Not to be an ass but if you want the game safer wouldnt you do EVERYTHING possible to make it that way? I dont know about you but if the NFL doesnt go all in for player safety than they kind of look like greedy hypocrites who are only half assing it when it comes to solving a safety problem. Again, i dont want anything changed because i know its a violent and physical sport but if you are the NFL and going to use the mantra that player safety matters than i find it a bit insulting that they wont do everything possible to make it that way. I think we both know why that is but i just have to laugh at the notion that they can find any middle ground. Its a risky game no matter what position you play so rather than changing the game itself find another avenue to help players who substain injuries during the playing careers and there afterwards.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    But shouldnt it be? Not to be an ass but if you want the game safer wouldnt you do EVERYTHING possible to make it that way? I dont know about you but if the NFL doesnt go all in for player safety than they kind of look like greedy hypocrites who are only half assing it when it comes to solving a safety problem. Again, i dont want anything changed because i know its a violent and physical sport but if you are the NFL and going to use the mantra that player safety matters than i find it a bit insulting that they wont do everything possible to make it that way. I think we both know why that is but i just have to laugh at the notion that they can find any middle ground. Its a risky game no matter what position you play so rather than changing the game itself find another avenue to help players who substain injuries during the playing careers and there afterwards.
    Kinda nailed it.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information