Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Competition Committee Move Touchback to 25 ***MERGED***

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Exactly.

Seattle actually already does this. They trust their coverage team, and try to drop the kick inside the 5/just out of the endzone to create a return, and they trust their coverage to stop their opponent from getting back out to the 20. This will only increase the odds of more teams doing likewise.

No doubt, a kick deep into the endzone will be more likely to be downed, but now you will no longer see so many kicks out of the back of the endzone, or deep into it.

The goofballs have incentivized shorter kicks more than they have decentivized returns.
    How do you know they didn't do this to get more returns? Externally they look good pretending to minimize returns and injuries but internally they know this will create more returns and create more excitement. Do you really think the NFL cares about player injuries? Just look at the pile of used up running backs that were used up and discarded. KC has a revolving door for its RB's... come on in and run 10000 times in 3 years and then kindly **** off.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

While i hated Dante Hall he was an electric returner, so was Deion Sanders and Eric Metcalf. I mean, we lost to the Ravens in the 2012 playoffs but without Trindon's returns we are never in that game. I understand they want player safety but football in general is a dangerous sport and a injury can happen anywhere on the field and not just with kickoff and punt returns. I just hate the watering down of the sport, even moreso that it seems they are only addressing it at the pro level. If you are going to go about making it a safety issue than address it at all levels. Personally, i like it the way it is and was before but maybe thats just me.

3. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    Sorry but I think kick and punt returns are exciting.
    I do too. They can be THE most exciting plays in the game. Just look at the Super Bowl....our punt return was HUGE and exciting! Take that stuff away, and it's just chipping away..piece by piece... of the game that we've come to love. The small things matter. The kicking game matters. This arguement of "it can just go, it doesn't matter"..is BS.

How many years did we absolutely love watching guys like Tomarek Vanoverin KC be a threat to return the KO's everytime he touched it? Brian Mitchell for the Redskins was awesome to watch. How about the fear that Dante Hall brough every time we kicked off against our division rival? Tell the Chicago Bear fans how much the "ko return is boring" after having incredible seasons of watching Devin Hester. Gale Sayers is basically in the HoF because of his addistions to the KO returns.

When your team JUST got up on a team at the end of the game, the anticipation of the KO coverage can be edge sitting...especially if you are kicking off to a guy like Cribbs! What about the onside kick? "we'll just place the ball down gently here, but if you want to onside kick it, we'll put it on a tee??" LAME.

What about the times that teams fool the other team with an unexpected onside kick attempt? The Saints did everything they could toe keep the ball out of Peyton's hands in the Super Bowl by pulling off an onsides kick that wasn't expected. THAT was/is exciting. I don't care if it's rare. The Rarity is what adds to the 'twist' of it being accomplished. Take out the possibilities completely, and you remove all chances of it.

Chip chip chip....and we'll end up with flag-football before too long, and we'll all be fossils saying "remember when football actually was a contact sport?"
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

How do you know they didn't do this to get more returns? Externally they look good pretending to minimize returns and injuries but internally they know this will create more returns and create more excitement. Do you really think the NFL cares about player injuries? Just look at the pile of used up running backs that were used up and discarded. KC has a revolving door for its RB's... come on in and run 10000 times in 3 years and then kindly **** off.
    How do I know it? I guess I don't, but I'm not big on complex conspiracy theories relying on hundreds of actors each with individual motives, many of which are in active competition against each other.

we should merge the two threads

Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

we should merge the two threads
    I think you're right at this point.

Brandon McManus ‏@thekidmcmanus 56m56 minutes ago

A players board should be represented at these competition committee meetings. Returns will 100% increase not decrease #ExperimentThat

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

How do I know it? I guess I don't, but I'm not big on complex conspiracy theories relying on hundreds of actors each with individual motives, many of which are in active competition against each other.
    what conspiracy? There is no conspiracy in the NFL saying, "Lets make this rule. It may cause more returns, it may not", even if in the back of their mind they assume it may create more returns. No group of people could get together and make this rule thinking that the number of returns will go down.

what conspiracy? There is no conspiracy in the NFL saying, "Lets make this rule. It may cause more returns, it may not", even if in the back of their mind they assume it may create more returns. No group of people could get together and make this rule thinking that the number of returns will go down.
    Actually, they can. They have looked at the NCAA since they changed the rule, and feel the same result will happen in the NFL...and it very well could turn out that way since the penalty for kicking out of bounds brings the ball to the 30.

Of course they think the kick returns will go down. Right now, the ball usually goes out the back of the endzone. If the ball is kicked into the front half of the endzone, the returner usually tries a run as the risk vs reward is better for the risk since the average return is still to the 18-19. But now, if the ball just enters into the endzone, than they may simply choose to kneel as it's a 5 yrd gain and to the 25 (instead to the 18, that's a 7 yrd gain).

So they feel that kicks that barely enter into the endzone will NOT be returned because of the gain. So yeah, I think they absolutely got together and felt that the NFL will have roughly the same result as the NCAA is having.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

But they're not saying, "it may cause more returns, it may not." Instead, they are saying, "we intend for this rule to decrease returns."

13. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Not to mentioned the prospect of removing the KO return altogether just a year or two ago. It's why they moved the kicking spot to the 35, for more touchbacks and out of the endzone kickoffs. This is just sticking with their plan to remove that from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Brandon McManus ‏@thekidmcmanus 56m56 minutes ago

A players board should be represented at these competition committee meetings. Returns will 100% increase not decrease #ExperimentThat
    I think we MIGHT see an increase as teams will try the high kicks, but right now, we don't know how successful those attempts will be. There is no truth to the "100% WILL increase" any more than it will 100% decrease the returns.

Right now, teams haven't had a chance to experiment with the high and/or aimed kicks. Right now the NFL is trying to duplicate the NCAA results, but we'll soon see if that's how it works out. I personally would LOVE it if it increases the number or returns, as I'm personally pretty sick and bored of the KO's going out the back of the endzones.
    Last edited by Ravage!!!; 03-23-2016 at 12:56 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I think we MIGHT see an increase as teams will try the high kicks, but right now, we don't know how successful those attempts will be. There is no truth to the "100% WILL increase" any more than it will 100% decrease the returns.

Right now, teams haven't had a chance to experiment with the high and/or aimed kicks. Right now the NFL is trying to duplicate the NCAA rules, but we'll soon see if that's how it works out. I personally would LOVE it if it increases the number or returns, as I'm personally pretty sick and bored of the KO's going out the back of the endzones.
    I would appreciate it if they got rid of at least one of the commercial breaks on either side of kick-offs. It grinds my gears to have 2 minutes of commercials, come back just in time to see the kicker do his thing, 12-15 seconds later the whistle is blown as a player kneels in the end-zone and then 2 more minutes of commercials.

THAT would be a true improvement to the game.

17. The Following 7 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

I would appreciate it if they got rid of at least one of the commercial breaks on either side of kick-offs. It grinds my gears to have 2 minutes of commercials, come back just in time to see the kicker do his thing, 12-15 seconds later the whistle is blown as a player kneels in the end-zone and then 2 more minutes of commercials.

Bingo!

That is by far the worst thing about watching football. So frustrating. That's why I always watch Red Zone unless the Broncos are on.

20. The Following User High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information