Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Competition Committee Move Touchback to 25 ***MERGED***

I stand corrected. They passed it today for a one year trial - touchbacks to the 25 yard line

I think we'll see more "mortar" kicks (just like the article suggested)..and the "Big Leg on Kickoff" guy will no longer be needed. Although height does take leg strength.

I just hate that the NFL is trying to hard to remove the Kick-off return from the game. Moving the kicking team alllll the way to the 35, and now giving more benefits for not returning at all. The Kick off return, at the right time of the game, can be one of the most exciting plays in football.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Moving a touchback up to the 25 hard line seems like a fair thing to do.
    I think it sucks,personally.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

5. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    I stand corrected. They passed it today for a one year trial - touchbacks to the 25 yard line
    Curious - seems to me this rule will potentially have the kicking team tell the kicker to kick it right at the goal line to force a return.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I think we'll see more "mortar" kicks (just like the article suggested)..and the "Big Leg on Kickoff" guy will no longer be needed. Although height does take leg strength.

I just hate that the NFL is trying to hard to remove the Kick-off return from the game. Moving the kicking team alllll the way to the 35, and now giving more benefits for not returning at all. The Kick off return, at the right time of the game, can be one of the most exciting plays in football.
    I posted that thought in another thread before seeing this article. Seems to me like the kicking team will be encouraged to avoid touchbacks and kick the ball at the goal line.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

They might as well just place the ball at the 25 and eschew the formality of the KO all together. Most likely that is the next step in removing the "most dangerous" play from the game.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived The Glue Factory For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by The Glue Factory View Post
    They might as well just place the ball at the 25 and eschew the formality of the KO all together. Most likely that is the next step in removing the "most dangerous" play from the game.
    Goodell proposed that idea, but it got a ton of flack from the public. So instead of taking that route, they are trying to encourage no returns. First, moving the kicking team all the way up to the 35 so that more balls go into the endzone. That worked. A TON fewer kick-off returns. Now, they are encouraging it even more, but giving an incentive NOT to run out of the endzone at all.

I think the next step will be to move the kicking team up to the 50 yrd line. Then, if your kicker can put it through the uprights, it goes to the 20...if not, the 25.

If they remove the KO return, it won't be long before they remove the punt return. Just punt the ball, and wherever the ball lands (or is caught), is where the ball remains. No run backs. Lets just take the kicking game out completely.

I don't like it, and I don't think it's going to accomplish what they claim it will, which is player safety:

Michael Tanier ‏@MikeTanier 1h1 hour ago New Jersey, USA

New touchback rule, meet Law of Unintended Consequences. Law of Unintended Consequences, new touchback rule.

Michael Tanier ‏@MikeTanier 1h1 hour ago New Jersey, USA

Kickoffs will now be high hangtime lofts to near the goal line. Returns will increase. Coverage will be closer.

14. The Following 5 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

Goodell proposed that idea, but it got a ton of flack from the public. So instead of taking that route, they are trying to encourage no returns. First, moving the kicking team all the way up to the 35 so that more balls go into the endzone. That worked. A TON fewer kick-off returns. Now, they are encouraging it even more, but giving an incentive NOT to run out of the endzone at all.

I think the next step will be to move the kicking team up to the 50 yrd line. Then, if your kicker can put it through the uprights, it goes to the 20...if not, the 25.

If they remove the KO return, it won't be long before they remove the punt return. Just punt the ball, and wherever the ball lands (or is caught), is where the ball remains. No run backs. Lets just take the kicking game out completely.
    Exactly where I was headed with my comment. I think there might be an unintended consequence if the league implements the 25 yd line for touchbacks. As noted by others, the kicking team may squib kick to the goal line banking on the coverage team tackling the returner short of the 25 yd line. I don't like this rule as it also makes the game harder on the defense by giving the offense 5 yards as a freebie on the touchback.

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived The Glue Factory For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Curious - seems to me this rule will potentially have the kicking team tell the kicker to kick it right at the goal line to force a return.
    Exactly.

Seattle actually already does this. They trust their coverage team, and try to drop the kick inside the 5/just out of the endzone to create a return, and they trust their coverage to stop their opponent from getting back out to the 20. This will only increase the odds of more teams doing likewise.

No doubt, a kick deep into the endzone will be more likely to be downed, but now you will no longer see so many kicks out of the back of the endzone, or deep into it.

The goofballs have incentivized shorter kicks more than they have decentivized returns.

Sorry but I think kick and punt returns are exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

19. The Following 4 Users High Fived weazel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I posted this in the other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Exactly.

Seattle actually already does this. They trust their coverage team, and try to drop the kick inside the 5/just out of the endzone to create a return, and they trust their coverage to stop their opponent from getting back out to the 20. This will only increase the odds of more teams doing likewise.

No doubt, a kick deep into the endzone will be more likely to be downed, but now you will no longer see so many kicks out of the back of the endzone, or deep into it.

The goofballs have incentivized shorter kicks more than they have decentivized returns.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    Sorry but I think kick and punt returns are exciting.
    I do too. They can be THE most exciting plays in the game. Just look at the Super Bowl....our punt return was HUGE and exciting! Take that stuff away, and it's just chippign away..piece by piece... of the game that we've come to love. The small things matter. The kickign game matters.

23. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by ravage!!! View Post
    crap..forgot to fininsh the title. "nfl competition committee moves touchbacks to 25".
    fify.

25. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

FTR, I agree, I enjoy returns. My comment above was just pointing out that the end result will be much different than the intended purpose of the new rule.

Like many, many other regulations. .. . oops, no politics here.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information