Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Texans owner: Brock Osweiler wanted to get out of Elway and Manning's shadow

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

When I think of QBs that played in Houston, I think of Warren Moon. Brock will always be shadowed.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I dispute
    Best Joel post of all time. . . but then you ruined it...

Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

I can understand why he feels the way that he does. With that being said, Elway and the Broncos wanted him. No one was expecting him to be a beast this year and Brock got a pass for his mistakes on the field. He even had some fans defending him when he was benched, too. Furthermore, Brock was replacing an aging and feeble Manning; every time Brock completed a deep pass the fans jogged their memories because they could barely remember what that looked or felt like.

I think he took the money and ran, I don't blame him, but if this was a huge part of his decision then I really think he misjudged the climate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    In the Week 12 victory over the Patriots that O'Brien is referencing, Osweiler completed just 54.8 percent of his passes, going 23-of-42. Denver made a great comeback, but even when the game was on the line in the fourth quarter and overtime, Osweiler was just 8-of-17 (47.1 percent). Meanwhile, running backs C.J. Anderson and Ronnie Hillman ran for 86 yards and two touchdowns on eight carries during that span.
    Just underscores what I said earlier: The OT wins against the other two top AFC teams cemented us as the AFC favorite, but beating NE* was all about the D and CJ, not Oz. Granted it was only his second career start, but that's why you don't pay $72M for a guy with less half a season of starts. He contributed more against Cincy, but that was only THEIR QBs second career start; anyone think we win in OT if Dalton plays?
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I hereby dispute your dispute.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I hereby dispute your dispute.
    Noted; any supporting arguments, or just disagreement for disagreements sake? I'm not convinced even Manning escaped Elways shadow in Denver, despite shattering every individual passing and team scoring record in the book and becoming the ONLY QB to win SBs for different teams: How could Oz POSSIBLY have topped that, and if the answer is "he couldn't," how could he ever escape Elways shadow in Denver?

Realistically, he'll probably and promptly crash and burn in Houston, likely leaving him WISHING he'd remained a champion in Elways shadow. Again, 7 starts into his career is a bit early for him to focus on trying to surpass two of the greatest QBs of all time. But IF that's his hubristic focus, leaving Denver suits it.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

I just hope this Sanchez guy doesn't hear about these shadows from the past that are so tall no one can surpass them.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoTech For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Oz will still get compared to Manning. With him saying he wanted more freedom at the line of scrimmage I dont think the Texan fans believe thats so he

can dance.

On second thought.....I refuse to vouch for the intelligence of Texan fans.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

Just underscores what I said earlier: The OT wins against the other two top AFC teams cemented us as the AFC favorite, but beating NE* was all about the D and CJ, not Oz. Granted it was only his second career start, but that's why you don't pay $72M for a guy with less half a season of starts. He contributed more against Cincy, but that was only THEIR QBs second career start; anyone think we win in OT if Dalton plays?
    That's all true, but you can't criticize the Texans for offering Osweiler $72 M. They had to do that to steal him from Denver. You can criticize Elway for offering $64M because Osweiler didn't deserve that much either!

Texans had Steny Hoyer who threw 3 INTs and turned the ball over 5 times in a 30-0 home playoff loss. It doesn't get much worse than that. Unless they got a decent QB Rick Smith is going to be fired by next season.

Now they've got a guy who can save his job for a couple of years at least. Is that worth $72M? Well to Rick Smith it is! They were already writing "How Much Longer Does Rick Smith Get a Pass?" articles in the local press last October. And that was before the playoff blowout.

His butt is on the hot seat if they don't make the playoffs this season. And without a better QB than Steny Hoyer it was not likely. So, it's definitely worth it to Smith!

Noted; any supporting arguments, or just disagreement for disagreements sake? I'm not convinced even Manning escaped Elways shadow in Denver, despite shattering every individual passing and team scoring record in the book and becoming the ONLY QB to win SBs for different teams: How could Oz POSSIBLY have topped that, and if the answer is "he couldn't," how could he ever escape Elways shadow in Denver?

Realistically, he'll probably and promptly crash and burn in Houston, likely leaving him WISHING he'd remained a champion in Elways shadow. Again, 7 starts into his career is a bit early for him to focus on trying to surpass two of the greatest QBs of all time. But IF that's his hubristic focus, leaving Denver suits it.
    He's not a bad QB so I'd be very surprised if he "promptly crashed and burned" in Houston. They are in a very weak division so 11 wins are probably a given. They still have a pretty good defense and their offense isn't bad. With Osweiler they could possibly even get a first round bye.

Where things get dicey however is when teams start focusing more and more on Osweiler's weaknesses. Defenses aren't going to just let him do what he does best. They will analyse everything he does and look to take away his strengths and attack his weak points. He holds onto the ball too long. He's tall and lanky and while he's pretty athletic for such a tall man, he's not agile or graceful.

He's going to take a beating despite their OL being a lot better than Denver's 2015 line. Unless he learns to get rid of the ball quicker and how to take a hit without getting creamed everytime he's not going to last 16 games.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information