Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Texans owner: Brock Osweiler wanted to get out of Elway and Manning's shadow

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Texans owner: Brock Osweiler wanted to get out of Elway and Manning's shadow

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- During his introduction to Houston, Texans quarterback Brock Osweiler said he felt the Texans gave him the best chance to succeed. Today at the NFL owners meetings, Texans owner Bob McNair shed a little more light on what exactly that meant.

In part, it was a chance to create his own legacy, away from the shadow of two of the best quarterbacks ever to play the game.

"I guess the thing that really helped us is that he does like our offense, and Coach [Bill] O'Brien gives the quarterback a little more leeway at the line of scrimmage and all quarterbacks like that," McNair said. "I think that helped. And then of course he had played behind Peyton [Manning] and with [executive vice president of football operations/general manager] John Elway there. Their shadows were quite large. He was still going to be under that and compared to them. He has a chance to be a real hero in Houston. And we’ve got a good ball club so I think all those things entered into it."

McNair said Osweiler's agent told the Texans those factors were important.
    rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texa...annings-shadow

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

sounds like a weak minded individual with very low self confidence

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

4. The Following 13 Users High Fived weazel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    sounds like a weak minded individual with very low self confidence
    I agree on the first part, but not the second. After all, he thinks he knows more about NFL QBs than a guy who used to BE one, coached Steve Young and Elway, managed to briefly make Griese, Plummer and Schaub respectable, and even won a playoff game with a 5th round rookie TJ Yates. Because a 5th round pick was all the boss allowed to challenge Schaub, and that went so well NO more QB picks were allowed: Kubiak liked Keenum in the next draft, but had to sign him as an UDFA.

Oh... you meant Oz, didn't you? Yeah... poor dumb SOB....

He got his wish for a place in the sun, and I wish him all the luck he'll need. Houstons offense is in worse shape than ours. We're rebuilding a bad line; they're tearing down a good one. They only have ONE receiving threat (and NO TEs) and are integrating a new starting RB as well as QB. I hope Oz learned a lot from (almost) half a season running for his life in Denver, because his 5 million neighbors have been known to show up at a bad QBs house to pick a fight in front of his kids.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Yes I clicked in the thread and am commenting but am already sick of this story.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

7. The Following User High Fived tomjonesrocks For This Post:

"I guess the thing that really helped us is that he does like our offense, and Coach [Bill] O'Brien gives the quarterback a little more leeway at the line of scrimmage and all quarterbacks like that," McNair said.
    What that means is that the Texans let Osweiler have more freedom to run the offense. Even Peyton Manning was restricted by the offense. During the SB Manning saw a defensive shift when they were down near the goal line, and called an audible. Kubiak saw that and ran down the sideline frantically calling timeout --- so he could revert to a safe running play into the line. Result - 3 points.

Well, it worked in that they won the SB despite Manning's two turnovers, but NO QB really likes having his hands tied like that. Osweiler liked the Adam Gase offense he was in for 3 years a lot better than the Kubiak offense.

So did Manning of course. Frankly, giving the inexperienced QB the keys to the car and saying OK kid, you drive as fast as you want isn't really a recipe for success. I guess we'll see what he does with that freedom.

But, I'd rather the Broncos QB execute the system the way it's designed rather than try and be his own coach on the field. That's fine for Peyton Manning, but Osweiler is no Peyton Manning. He thinks he is. They are going to learn otherwise when he starts taking big hits and throwing INTs and failing to get the team in the right formation.

It's easy to forget because he's got that huge $72M contract, that he's only started 7 games and there will be some learning curve. But, frankly, there is nobody else in the NFL, not even Tom Brady who really can execute the Peyton Manning offense. There's a reason why he was the best QB in regular season NFL history.

Oh... you meant Oz, didn't you? Yeah... poor dumb SOB....
    You really can't call a guy "dumb" for saying "Yes, thank you very much, I do believe I WILL accept $25,000,000 this year!"

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

That is disappointing.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Echoes of Aaron Rodgers and Favre...not
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I agree with Weasel, just sounds like Brock has a confidence issue. I mean i get it, we've seen other QB's play in Denver who got scared when things didnt go their way and used the same excuse as Brock is here. But, you can either be afraid and fold or you can know that you play with an organization with rich history and rise above to make your own mark. At the end of the day i would rather have a guy like Aaron Rodgers who is unafraid to carve his own path rather than a guy tuck tale and go elsewhere because he might be scared of some scrutiny when he struggles. Either way, Brock will find that the grass isnt always greener elsewhere and he shouldnt kid himself that its going to be an easy road in Houston. Every fanbase can come down on their QB when they dont become or show the promise they were believed they were getting. You think Bears fans still think Cutler is their savior? Not likely and i highly doubt Jay still thinks those fans are 10's either. If Brock struggles he can bet his ass that the pressure will be on him to perform and to live up to that contract he was given. If anything, he will have it harder in Houston than he did in Denver because at least with a recent title the Bronco fans will be a little more forgiving compared to an organization that still has yet to bring home a trophy.

14. The Following 4 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I agree with Weasel, just sounds like Brock has a confidence issue. I mean i get it, we've seen other QB's play in Denver who got scared when things didnt go their way and used the same excuse as Brock is here. But, you can either be afraid and fold or you can know that you play with an organization with rich history and rise above to make your own mark. At the end of the day i would rather have a guy like Aaron Rodgers who is unafraid to carve his own path rather than a guy tuck tale and go elsewhere because he might be scared of some scrutiny when he struggles. Either way, Brock will find that the grass isnt always greener elsewhere and he shouldnt kid himself that its going to be an easy road in Houston. Every fanbase can come down on their QB when they dont become or show the promise they were believed they were getting. You think Bears fans still think Cutler is their savior? Not likely and i highly doubt Jay still thinks those fans are 10's either. If Brock struggles he can bet his ass that the pressure will be on him to perform and to live up to that contract he was given. If anything, he will have it harder in Houston than he did in Denver because at least with a recent title the Bronco fans will be a little more forgiving compared to an organization that still has yet to bring home a trophy.
    Great post - totally agree

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

More leeway, just what a QB going into his 8th start needs.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Total Faggz.

At the end of the day i would rather have a guy like Aaron Rodgers
    I think we would all prefer a QB like Aaron Rogers - in any way like Aaron Rogers. Sadly it doesn't look like the Broncos are going to get another Hall of Fame QB any time soon. Kaepernick is about the best they can hope for this year.

And more likely, our QB will be the butt-fumbler. I'm not saying in advance he can't have any success, but. . . .

Adopted Bronco:
    I don't need to adopt, my son is a future Bronco ;)

I'd call him a Pansy, but that'd be offensive to certain flowers.

Very weak though.

Lets see:
    a) Successful organization - CHECK
    b) Surrounded by talent - CHECK
    c) Defense that takes pressure off offense - CHECK
    d) Legacy of winning - CHECK
    e) Consecutive losing seasons = Not in the last 4 decades - CHECK

Hey, if Brick is intimidated by any of those or too arrogant to see those or too ignorant to think the Texans have those or to egocentric to think he will bring those to Houston... I wouldn't want him anyway (am still glad he stepped away).

21. The Following User High Fived artie_dale For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I dunno. Would you rather spend your career being compared with Manning and Elway or being compared with Schaub and David Carr? If he gets them to the playoffs, he can be the Man. If he takes Denver to the playoffs it will always be "yeah but Peyton or John would have done it better".

The Texans do have an excellent defense, not as great as Denver's but not bad. The offense is awful other than D-Hop and that's the big risk for him. He'll get a grace period for a year or two. OTOH, if the offense suddenly clicks, he can bask in the credit.

Bottom line, he took the money just like several other Broncos that now have new addresses. Are they all cowards?
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information