Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Bitter Brock

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Default Bitter Brock

Brock Osweiler reportedly cut off communication with Broncos coaches and teammates 2 weeks ago, and it was a damning sign
    https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/b...234033743.html

But as more details about Osweiler's decision emerge, the more it sounds like Osweiler had no interest in re-signing in Denver. It also sounds like the Broncos knew Osweiler wasn't coming back.

According to Mike Klis of News 9 in Denver, the Broncos started to get a strong sense that Osweiler might sign elsewhere as far back as two weeks ago, when he cut off all communication from the team. Klis reports that Osweiler stopped returning phone calls from coaches and teammates entirely. Generally, this is a good sign a player's moving on. Still, John Elway and the Broncos offered him a four-year, $64 million contract ($16 million per year).

Osweiler instead took the Texans' four-year, $72 million deal. But money wasn't the only factor at play. He also reportedly felt slighted by the fact that the Broncos had benched him during Week 17, opting to give the offense back to Manning and stick with Manning for the duration of the playoffs. After Manning won a Super Bowl, Osweiler reportedly felt that it would be hard to step out from Manning's shadow. All of this led him to Houston.

No doubt Brock was mad. But, seriously? This crap is getting ridiculous!

He's getting $21 M this season. His $37M guaranteed contract is more guaranteed money than Andrew Luck, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, and Russell Wilson.

"Money wasn't all of it". B.S. If the Broncos offered more money, he'd be here. Their offer wasn't even close.

If his leaving was such a done deal, why did the Texans offer him $7M more? All this "Brock was mad" stuff sounds like the kinds of explanations the jilted boy-friend offers up about why his girl-friend left, when in reality the new guy offered her a Lexus. Maybe she was mad. But, if you'd been the one offering her the Lexus, she'd have suddenly been a lot less mad.
    Last edited by Cugel; 03-10-2016 at 03:39 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

He cut off the team and his coaches 2 weeks before FA.

I really don't know what to tell you Cugel.

He was obviously butthurt.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post

He's getting $21 M this season. His $37M guaranteed contract is more guaranteed money than Andrew Luck, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, and Russell Wilson.

"Money wasn't all of it". B.S. If the Broncos offered more money, he'd be here. Their offer wasn't even close.

If his leaving was such a done deal, why did the Texans offer him $7M more? All this "Brock was mad" stuff sounds like the kinds of explanations the jilted boy-friend offers up about why his girl-friend left, when in reality the new guy offered her a Lexus. Maybe she was mad. But, if you'd been the one offering her the Lexus, she'd have suddenly been a lot less mad.
    Actually, I think Shane just jumping to conclusions about Brock's attitude that the article doesn't address. It only states that Brock broke off communication, it doesn't explain why. I could simply be that he's been with the Broncos long enough to know how Elway does business & therefore knew that he was never going to get the money from Elway that he could get from another team. Its true that you'll sometimes hear players claim they're being "disrespected" by their team if they're not offered as much as they believe they're worth, but I've seen no quote attributed to Oz himself that suggests that he feels this way.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

You clearly don't have a clue, or just don't want to deal with any sort of reality.

I'm guessing that all of your pre-determined outcomes from the past four days turned out to be all false and utterly wrong, and now you're trying to make excuses for being a blowhard.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

6. The Following 4 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Hope Brock rips it up in Houston, just not at the expense of the Broncos. Dude got f'n paid and you can't blame him for leaving.

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

While I don't think he deserved to be benched when he was, I still think that is a childish stupid reason to stop talking to the team IF there is any truth to this story.

Question: Did Brock issue any statements thanking Denver since leaving?

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post
    While I don't think he deserved to be benched when he was, I still think that is a childish stupid reason to stop talking to the team IF there is any truth to this story.

Question: Did Brock issue any statements thanking Denver since leaving?

Yes and a more than generous one. Thanked the entire organization and thanked Peyton.

I just passed gas

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived weazel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    I don't need to adopt, my son is a future Bronco ;)

Whether Brock left for being butt sore or for the money, all his talk from the time he started to the time after and since then was all for show. But, come on... who wouldn't pass up the kind of money Houston offered him. I definitely still believe Elway didn't lowball him. Elway and Kubes are MUCH closer to knowing what Brock is capable of than any of us or Houston. I think Elway's responsibility to the team is what showed most in his offer to Brock, and nothing more.

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived artie_dale For This Post:

this is a business, gotta watch out for your own interests. I'm disappointed to see Brock go, given what's currently available, but I just can't hold anything against him for doing so, kinda wish him the best, barring the obvious, for sure

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    You clearly don't have a clue, or just don't want to deal with any sort of reality.

I'm guessing that all of your pre-determined outcomes from the past four days turned out to be all false and utterly wrong, and now you're trying to make excuses for being a blowhard.
    Well, turns out you're the one who was wrong!

According to Mike Silver, NFL Network:

Michael Silver Verified account
    ‏@MikeSilver

4) I'm told 1 reason for Osweiler's dissatisfaction in Denver was he felt he lacked options in Kubiak's offense. Sought more freedom at line
    Does NOT say "he was mad because he was benched and that was why he wanted to get out of Denver." And in fact, that's exactly what Brock has now said as well.

So, who's the blowhard now? You talk big, but you don't bother to do any research.

Even if Osweiler had loved the Kubiak offense, it would be almost impossible to turn down an extra $8 M over the lifetime of the contract ($72M versus $64M). Houston's offer blew the Denver offer right out of the water.
    Last edited by Cugel; 03-10-2016 at 10:48 AM.

17. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2016...nd-john-elway/

"During Super Bowl media week, Osweiler was asked who he would rather have at quarterback if he needed to win one game—Peyton Manning, or John Elway?"

“Myself,” Osweiler said after very little hesitation, with no further explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by artie_dale View Post
    Whether Brock left for being butt sore or for the money, all his talk from the time he started to the time after and since then was all for show. But, come on... who wouldn't pass up the kind of money Houston offered him. I definitely still believe Elway didn't lowball him. Elway and Kubes are MUCH closer to knowing what Brock is capable of than any of us or Houston. I think Elway's responsibility to the team is what showed most in his offer to Brock, and nothing more.
    I think it's hard to defend Elway in this negotiation.

You certainly have to defer to Elway's judgement as to how good of a QB Osweiler is. No fans or media "experts" can second guess a Hall of Fame QB on that score.

But, having made the decision that he wanted Brock to be his franchise QB and ultimately being willing to offer Osweiler $16 M a year on a $64M contract with $30M guaranteed, you have to question why he ever let Osweiler become a FA in the first place.

That's an incredible amount of money for a guy who's only started 7 games, and Elway came off his initial offer of $13M a year and went to $16M and added a 4th year to the contract. He caved in the negotiations at the last minute, yet all it did was help Osweiler get a bigger contract from Houston.

Why didn't Elway lock up Osweiler for 2016 last July when they could have done it for backup QB money? $5-$6 M a year because Osweiler had never started a game, and at that point the plan was for Manning to start every game, so it was unlikely Osweiler would ever see the field in 2015, and at the end of it, he'd still be a complete unknown backup QB with no starts.

Failing to do that, when Osweiler started 7 games and started winning, why didn't Elway start re-negotiating with his agent right then and work out a deal during the season, before Brock was about to become a FA? He negotiated a new contract with Chris Harris during the season, so he can't use that as an excuse.

Then when the SB was over, why didn't they immediately make their best offer? At least when Sam Bradford got $18 M a year and it became obvious that desperate teams were throwing insane money at QBs and Osweiler became the biggest FA QB available Elway should have realized that some desperate team was going to go after Osweiler hard and give him similar money - as in fact Houston did.

The Broncos desperately needed to lock Osweiler up BEFORE FA started - the worst thing they could have done was wait until FA started and the other teams started playing "can you top this?"

The one thing in all these negotiations that was obvious from the start is that the Broncos COULD NOT possibly win a bidding war for Osweiler. If he decided to test FA that meant he was going to take the best offer (from a reasonably good team - he didn't negotiate with Cleveland).

Denver was never going to give him the best offer.

And then they clearly had no Plan B in mind, and are now scrambling around to figure out who their starting QB is. Mike Evans said this AM that this is the first time in NFL History that a defending SB champion had no idea who their starting QB the next season was only a couple of weeks after their SB parade.

IF Brock refused whatever Elway felt to be his BEST Offer - and not the B.S. "line in the sand" that he stepped over on Wednesday (going from $13M to $16M a year is not sticking with a "line in the sand"), then they should have been working on a Plan B two weeks ago and not waiting around for Peyton to make up his mind about his retirement party and going on vacation and going hunting with his former C Jeff Saturday.

This is just failure all around by Elway. Failure to secure his franchise QB when it would be easy. Failure to re-negotiate during the season when it was already obvious Manning wasn't coming back. Failure to lock up Osweiler after the SB and waiting on Manning. Failure to make their best offer before Brock became a FA. Failure to anticipate that other teams with a lot more cap room, and who were a lot more desperate would throw insane money at any warm body.

Worst of all, failure to have a Plan B in mind when it became obvious that Brock intended to test FA and take the best offer.

Failure all around.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Some people are just stupid. Good grief.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information