Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: List of free agent Quarterbacks - What is plan B if Osweiler doesn't sign?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Yup.
    Agreed.

Seems that maybe we should just give whatever it takes to move into the top 5 and take a QB, if we can't sign Oz. Then, work with what we can THIs year for the OL with FA's and then work again in 2017 draft for OL to help the rook.

OR... sign the crappy QB and plan on losing a lot of games with the idea of drafting high in 2017.
    #1 - It might not be possible to trade all the way up from #31 to the top 5. Teams in the top 10 do want to move down, but generally not all the way to the end of the round.

#2 - The Broncos would have to give up something like 3 first round picks and/or players to move into the top 5 if it's even possible. Their #31 pick is worth 600 points. The #5 pick is worth 1700 points.

#3 - Even if they got that high, you're mortgaging your future for a guy who might turn out to be a bust. Remember the last team that moved up from around #19 or so to #5 to draft a QB? That was the Redskins who traded up to grab . . . . you guessed it - RGIII !

So that doesn't always work out great.

#4 - a lot of scouts apparently don't think much of this QB class, so there might not be any good QBs in the entire draft anyway.

That happens a lot in the NFL. Take a look at these QB classes:

2006:

1st round: Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler

2007:

1st round: Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn
    2nd round: Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton

2010:

1st round: Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow
    2nd round: Jimmy Clausen

2011: after Cam Newton went #1 overall:

1st round: Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder

2012: After Andrew Luck went #1 overall:

1st round: RGIII, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden
    2nd & 3rd: Brock & Russell Wilson

And on and on it goes. Some years there are NO good QBs. Some years all the highly scouted ones suck, and some later round pick develops.

Basically, at best it's a crap shoot in which the dice are loaded against you.

Yup.
    +1

Jay Cutler would be an absolute dream at this point.
    Not if you had to pay him like this:
    Jay Cutler signed a 7 year, $126,700,000 contract with the Chicago Bears, including $54,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $18,100,000. In 2016, Cutler will earn a base salary of $16,000,000. Cutler has a cap hit of $17,000,000 while his dead money value is $13,000,000.
    I agree he would be better than the alternatives if Osweiler leaves. So would Aaron Rogers but, like Cutler he's under contract and not coming here either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Not if you had to pay him like this:

I agree he would be better than the alternatives if Osweiler leaves. So would Aaron Rogers but, like Cutler he's under contract and not coming here either.
    Yeah.. he's obviously not going anywhere unless he was traded from Chicago, and if he was traded he would have to get a new contract.... and paying Jay 17 million would be pretty good for what we get in return.

BUT...all that being said, it was a facetious point of the discussion anyway.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Quote Originally Posted by Lancane View Post
    So bring in two spread option quarterbacks for a pro-style offensive scheme, even though both proved they struggle in such offenses and were the replaced by Gsbbert in San Fran, the other dropped to third string? Yep, that is brilliant football management, give the quarterback who couldn't run Shanahan's system so he made it a hybrid and give him to his pupil who had to do the same thing for Manning and failed. Or give another who is near identical just has better legs. I'd rather trade for Jay Cutler or beg Jake Plummer to come out of retirement (and everyone knows how I feel about him!).
    None of those options makes any sense:

Jay Cutler is under contract and the Bears aren't trading him. And the Broncos couldn't afford him anyway.

Jake Plummer is 41 years old, older than Manning, and has been out of football since 2006. (Perhaps I missed the joke there).

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I like making the playoffs. So, that's a no for Jay Cutler.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Yeah.. he's obviously not going anywhere unless he was traded from Chicago, and if he was traded he would have to get a new contract.... and paying Jay 17 million would be pretty good for what we get in return.

BUT...all that being said, it was a facetious point of the discussion anyway.
    YOu're right Rav. At this point, we're down to discussing options that we know will never happen, because all the probable scenarios are so horrible.

(I'm just waiting for someone to bring up Tim Tebow again, since that always happens at some point in the discussion).

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I like making the playoffs. So, that's a no for Jay Cutler.
    What do you mean? He was AWESOME in the NFL Championship Game remember? I mean the way he gutted it out.

Most hilarious gratuitous Cutler insult:

[TV broadcast]"Have there been any more vagina sightings in the mid-west?"
    "Nope. Just Jay Cutler."
    Last edited by Cugel; 03-06-2016 at 10:01 PM.

Jay Cutler is under contract and the Bears aren't trading him. And the Broncos couldn't afford him anyway.

Jake Plummer is 41 years old, older than Manning, and has been out of football since 2006. (Perhaps I missed the joke there).
    Wow.... Cugal... Bro. There is NO "perhaps" about it..... you definitely missed the sarcasm and jokes all the way around. I think it's time you take off your serious hat. I think you and Joel would have one hell of a party, though.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

IF Brock walks realistically it's down to giving RGIII some insane amount of $ and hoping he signs here or trying to give Ryan Fitzpatrick some insane amount of money and trying to lure him away from the Jets. And the Broncos can't afford to throw money at QBs since their salary cap is so tight.

They might really have to start Trevor Seimian. That might really happen. *gulp*

Wow.... Cugal... Bro. There is NO "perhaps" about it..... you definitely missed the sarcasm and jokes all the way around. I think it's time you take off your serious hat. I think you and Joel would have one hell of a party, though.
    That's why I posted "missed the joke there" because I realized you weren't serious. That post was just a knee jerk reaction really. It wasn't meant to offend you, so sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Adam Brandt said Favre has considered coming out of retirement..

16. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Adam Brandt said Favre has considered coming out of retirement..
    Jeff George keeps wanting to launch his comeback too!

Jeff George keeps wanting to launch his comeback too!
    Marino wants his super bowl ring.

19. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information