Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Broncos offer Brock Osweiler a three-year deal worth more than $45 million dollars

Default Report: Broncos offer Brock Osweiler a three-year deal worth more than $45 million dollars

Put this under the category of "boy was I wrong!"

I believed all the hype that Elway would rather let Brock walk than pay him $15M a year.

Well, he's offering him $15M a year for 3 years! And his agent is saying that it's not enough!

According to Mike Klis of 9NEWS Denver, the Denver Broncos have reportedly offered quarterback Brock Osweiler a three-year deal that is worth more than $45 million dollars.

This deal would pay Osweiler at least, $15 million dollars per year. The last reported offer to Osweiler reportedly averaged out at $12 million dollars per year. So General Manager John Elway is showing that he really wants to lock up his quarterback of the future.

According to Klis, Osweiler's deal if full of incentives and it is unknown how much of the $45 million would be fully guaranteed. Those details right there will probably be the reason why or why not Osweiler signs this contract with the Broncos.

The Broncos only have until Monday to work something out with Osweiler before he will be able to talk to the other 31 teams. If he reaches the tampering period, teams like the Houston Texans, Los Angeles Rams, Cleveland Browns, and the New York Jets could all reach out to Osweiler. All of the teams mentioned have plenty of money to spend this offseason, so that could make it difficult of the Broncos to re-sign their free agent quarterback.

If one or more of those teams offer Osweiler a better deal, will General Manager John Elway match their offer? Or will he allow Osweiler sign with another team?

The Broncos will need to figure out what to do with Peyton Manning before they can sign Osweiler to anything.

Manning's agent Tom Condon said on Friday that the Broncos "will have to make a move" on the Manning front before the March 9th deadline, and Klis says in his piece that the team expects to hear something by Monday or Tuesday of next week.

The obvious outcome would be Manning and the Broncos parting ways sometime early next week. This would allow the Broncos to sign Osweiler and their other free agents.

The Broncos are also expected to have restructured deals with offensive tackle Ryan Clady and linebacker DeMarcus Ware finalized early next week as well.

This upcoming week is going to be very interesting for the Broncos.

Benjamin Allbright
    ‏@AllbrightNFL

Tell you right now, for an absolute fact, the #Broncos offer to Osweiler wont be the highest he receives.

@AllbrightNFL Have to imagine Houston and Cleveland would offer more regardless of whether or not that's a smart idea
    That's why they are the Texans and Browns, teams that have never won a SB or even been to one.

So, the bidding war for Osweiler's services heats up to a white hot pitch. If Cleveland offers $16+ M a year to Osweiler that is just so stupid it's off the chart.

They have the #2 pick of the draft and can take any QB they want - and pay him about $5 M a year. And use the rest of their salary cap to draft and sign defensive FAs. Duh!

Did they pay NO attention to the formula both the Broncos and Seahags used to win the SB? Apparently not.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I want to keep him but not at Von money. Our D won that trophy. We could have Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB and still make the playoffs before we find our next superstar QB.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    I want to keep him but not at Von money. Our D won that trophy. We could have Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB and still make the playoffs before we find our next superstar QB.
    Since Von is going to get somewhere close to the $114M - 5 year contract that Suh got, Osweiler is NOT getting remotely "Von Money." Even if Von winds up getting only around $20M a year, Brock won't approach that.

We're talking about some idiot team like the Browns offering him $17 or $18M. We have to hope that it's more like $16M.

But, lots of teams have a TON of cash they have to spend under the cap. And many of those teams are proven "lifetime achievement award" idiots. Like the Browns.

As for Ryan Fitzpatrick, he is going to re-sign with the Jets or he'll be franchised. He's NOT going to become a FA, so that's out of the question. The only question for him is whether he gets the same yearly salary as Sam Bradford - 2 years, $36M, with $11 M signing bonus, and $4M roster bonus in 2017.

If the Jets ("Jest!, Jest! Jest!") franchise Fitzpatrick, they have to pay him $19M but only have a 1 year commitment, which of course costs less, while they try and find a future franchise QB for next year.
    Last edited by Cugel; 03-05-2016 at 04:01 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

I'm sorry, but I don't feel Brock has shown enough yet to deserve what the Broncos have offered, and that is still NOT good enough for his agent. Brock played 7 regular season games this past season and $15 mil is not enough, even though Peyton played 18 years and was getting $19 mil.

If his agent wants him to go to a crap team and get more money, where he wont see the playoffs for who knows how long - SEE YA.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Clearly Elway does not have a "Plan B." So, he's going to have to make sure he doesn't lose Osweiler.

"Plan B? We don't have a Plan B. We're going Plan A!" -- John Elway.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Clearly Elway does not have a "Plan B." So, he's going to have to make sure he doesn't lose Osweiler.

"Plan B? We don't have a Plan B. We're going Plan A!" -- John Elway.
    You have to be pretty naive to think Elway hasn't thought of a scenario that doesn't involve Osweiler.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

8. The Following 8 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't feel Brock has shown enough yet to deserve what the Broncos have offered, and that is still NOT good enough for his agent. Brock played 7 regular season games this past season and $15 mil is not enough, even though Peyton played 18 years and was getting $19 mil.

If his agent wants him to go to a crap team and get more money, where he wont see the playoffs for who knows how long - SEE YA.
    Agreed.

Im one of his biggest supporters and i feel what we have offered him is a bit too much at this point in time. Denver has shown they will budge from their initial offer lets see if Brock is willing to do the same if not. Time to look at other options.

10. The Following 5 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Even before this report I flip flopped on is keeping Brock. I am in the camp that says resign as many as possible guys on defense and trade up in the draft for a QB. That is a winning formula for success, defense wins championships.

I am sure Brock will be a decent QB wherever he goes but I just don't see him as the chosen one. Please Mr. Elway....GO GET JARED GOFF!!!
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

12. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Since Von is going to get somewhere close to the $114M - 5 year contract that Suh got, Osweiler is NOT getting remotely "Von Money." Even if Von winds up getting only around $20M a year, Brock won't approach that.

We're talking about some idiot team like the Browns offering him $17 or $18M. We have to hope that it's more like $16M.

But, lots of teams have a TON of cash they have to spend under the cap. And many of those teams are proven "lifetime achievement award" idiots. Like the Browns.

As for Ryan Fitzpatrick, he is going to re-sign with the Jets or he'll be franchised. He's NOT going to become a FA, so that's out of the question. The only question for him is whether he gets the same yearly salary as Sam Bradford - 2 years, $36M, with $11 M signing bonus, and $4M roster bonus in 2017.

If the Jets ("Jest!, Jest! Jest!") franchise Fitzpatrick, they have to pay him $19M but only have a 1 year commitment, which of course costs less, while they try and find a future franchise QB for next year.
    Franchise tags had to be declared last week.

14. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Even before this report I flip flopped on is keeping Brock. I am in the camp that says resign as many as possible guys on defense and trade up in the draft for a QB. That is a winning formula for success, defense wins championships.

I am sure Brock will be a decent QB wherever he goes but I just don't see him as the chosen one. Please Mr. Elway....GO GET JARED GOFF!!!

I wouldnt sell the farm on Goff. He is just as much as an unknown as any player in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    You have to be pretty naive to think Elway hasn't thought of a scenario that doesn't involve Osweiler.
    It's obvious that he HAS "thought of a scenario that doesn't involve Osweiler." And that scenario was pretty horrible. That's why he's offering Brock $15 M a year - which is about $3M a year more than what his top offer in his negotiating position was just 1 week ago.

Elway is apparently screwed by his own reluctance to re-negotiate BEFORE Brock could become a FA.

He could have signed him last year for around $6 M (according to Mike Klis, the Broncos Insider on the radio this week). So, Elway wanted to "think it over", and it's costing him at least $9 M a year to do that!

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

more from Kils' article:

It might be a stretch, though, to say Osweiler has comparable value to those quarterbacks, who are far more established.

The closest comparison to Osweiler is Nick Foles who has the 22nd richest contracts among the 22 starting quarterbacks who have progressed beyond their rookie deals.

The 21st-highest-paid starting quarterback is Andy Dalton, who had 30 wins and 80 touchdown passes before he received his extension that pays $16 million a year.

Even Foles was far more accomplished with a 14-4 record and 40 touchdown passes against 12 interceptions in the two seasons before he got his two-year, $24.54 million extension with the Rams.

Yet the Broncos non-incentive annual average offer to Osweiler is more than Foles’ $12.27 million average, according to sources. With incentives, Osweiler would have a chance to approach Dalton’s average.
    http://www.9news.com/sports/broncos-...llion/69607526

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

18. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I wouldnt sell the farm on Goff. He is just as much as an unknown as any player in the draft.
    Not only is that true - for all we know he could be the next Ryan Leaf, which you can't say about Osweiler right now, but the Broncos could never in Hell get him.

Goff is going to be a top 5 pick. Maybe a top 3. The 5th pick is worth 1700 points. The Broncos #31 pick is worth 600. It would take around THREE of the Broncos #1 picks to equal the Jaguars pick. And teams moving down typically want a premium, which would mean they would want not only multiple 1st round picks, but also a starting player or other picks.

In short it aint' worth it!

Even if Elway were willing to give up something like his #1 for the next 3 years, the Jaguars would not be interested in trading all the way down to #31.

Teams in the top 10 want to trade down, but not that far down. They typically want to trade down so they can get the same players they may have on top of their draft board, but with a slightly later pick that will cost them less $ to sign.

If they've been scouting top 10 talent and getting all excited about which player they might select, they are not going to be intrigued by totally shifting to concentrate on which player might sift down to the end of the round.

In short, such a trade is NOT going to happen. Yet every year fans who are ignorant of these basic facts keep saying things like "trade up to #5 and get Goff!!!"

BTW: the amount of thought or knowledge that goes into such posts is inversely proportional to the number of !!!

It might be a stretch, though, to say Osweiler has comparable value to those quarterbacks, who are far more established.

The closest comparison to Osweiler is Nick Foles who has the 22nd richest contracts among the 22 starting quarterbacks who have progressed beyond their rookie deals.

The 21st-highest-paid starting quarterback is Andy Dalton, who had 30 wins and 80 touchdown passes before he received his extension that pays $16 million a year.

Even Foles was far more accomplished with a 14-4 record and 40 touchdown passes against 12 interceptions in the two seasons before he got his two-year, $24.54 million extension with the Rams.

Yet the Broncos non-incentive annual average offer to Osweiler is more than Foles’ $12.27 million average, according to sources. With incentives, Osweiler would have a chance to approach Dalton’s average.
    "Ain't it the truth! Ain't it the truth!" - The Cowardly Lion

This is what happens if you wait till the player hits FA where you can expect the typical feeding frenzy to occur.

Name:  Fm1.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  25.0 KB
    "Feeding frenzy!"

But, Elway has clearly looked at the alternatives and they are worse. He screwed himself by failing to get Brock under a renewed contract a long time ago, when it would have cost about $9 M less per year.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information