Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: A Message to Our Customers from Apple

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

1) This thread actually belongs in politics.

2) Normally, I side with the government in these debates, but I'm siding with Apple in this one because of a possible scenario that has yet to be mentioned. Even if we were to trust the FBI to play by the rules when using this backdoor, the fact they would have exclusive access to one would make it even more appealing than it already is for criminals & terrorists to join them in order to gain this access. Such access would undoubtedly also give them the ability to conduct surveillance on the FBI's Internal Affairs division so they will know not only if someone is suspecting a mole, but progress in the investigation. This will give them the ability to exploit their position as long as possible before going off the grid in order to avoid getting caught.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

2. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    Trump of course supports the FBI having a backdoor.
    I doubt he's tech savvy enough to understand anything being discussed here.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Personally, I don't get the outrage. These people killed 14 people, and would have killed more if not stopped. What if there are people on that phone who want to continue the carnage that live here?

Not saying I necessarily agree with the GOVT or Apple. Just saying.
    because if you give the government source code/backdoor , it is giving them a backdoor to everyone else's phone.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

because if you give the government source code/backdoor , it is giving them a backdoor to everyone else's phone.
    We live in a different world now. If you can articulately explain to me the problem with this, I'll jump on board. And I'm not talking about saying something like "but our privacy!!!"

I don't necessarily agree with it, but I understand it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Yea a world that the government believes it should have access to everything, whether people committed a crime or not.

Thats a huge problem.

Personally, I don't get the outrage. These people killed 14 people, and would have killed more if not stopped. What if there are people on that phone who want to continue the carnage that live here?

Not saying I necessarily agree with the GOVT or Apple. Just saying.
    because although it might sound like a quick way to solve a single problem, it opens up a HUGE problem for decades. It's creating the very pinhole that would cause the damn to break.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Yea a world that the government believes it should have access to everything, whether people committed a crime or not.

Thats a huge problem.
    I don't disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    because although it might sound like a quick way to solve a single problem, it opens up a HUGE problem for decades. It's creating the very pinhole that would cause the damn to break.
    Again, I'm not defending the GOVT, or Apple. I just think we live in a different world where surveillance is crucial to the well being of the public. The second something happens, what's the first reaction? Why didn't the police/government know about this????

I'm honestly playing devil's advocate here, in case you all don't know it.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

We live in a different world now. If you can articulately explain to me the problem with this, I'll jump on board. And I'm not talking about saying something like "but our privacy!!!"

I don't necessarily agree with it, but I understand it.
    We absolutely liv in a different world now. Our phones really aren't our phones. They are our personal computers. They are our identity, our wallets, our friends, our relative, our identification..our medical records...and most correspondences that we have around the world. Being who we called, texted, emailed, or contacted through social media. Which, as you said, is today's world.

So to give an example as a comparison in yesterday's world...that would be like gving the government full access to everyone's home computer, front door, mail box, medical records, and bank accounts at their will and leisure. That sounds great in trying to 'catch a burglar'..but do we really want to allow the governing body tht much free access to our lives purely because they want it?
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

12. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Mission creep.

14. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    We absolutely liv in a different world now. Our phones really aren't our phones. They are our personal computers. They are our identity, our wallets, our friends, our relative, our identification..our medical records...and most correspondences that we have around the world. Being who we called, texted, emailed, or contacted through social media. Which, as you said, is today's world.

So to give an example as a comparison in yesterday's world...that would be like gving the government full access to everyone's home computer, front door, mail box, medical records, and bank accounts at their will and leisure. That sounds great in trying to 'catch a burglar'..but do we really want to allow the governing body tht much free access to our lives purely because they want it?
    Tell me about the terrorists (who have a global reach) in yesterday's world, and I'll listen.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    Most countries pay 70% in taxes? damn I want to know where that is.
    Holland is over 50% I believe

17. The Following User High Fived NightTerror218 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

I don't disagree.

Again, I'm not defending the GOVT, or Apple. I just think we live in a different world where surveillance is crucial to the well being of the public. The second something happens, what's the first reaction? Why didn't the police/government know about this????

I'm honestly playing devil's advocate here, in case you all don't know it.
    The problem is once you create this backdoor, hackers will find it and steal your data. Credit card info, identity theft, all data.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

or hell maybe a government employee who has a gambling problem.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Choose Apple products for your next jihad...
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    The problem is once you create this backdoor, hackers will find it and steal your data. Credit card info, identity theft, all data.
    So, you're saying we shouldn't do this to prevent innocent lives being snuffed out because of CC info, identity theft, etc.?

Seems to me that there are other programs to help prevent that from happening.

And you're right. None of that stuff happens now, right? ( end sarcasm )

I don't see why Apple can't get the data from the phone. I'm sure it has to be hooked up to one of their servers/computers to get to it. It's not like it'll be out there and available anymore than what currently happens with thieves and people who do that sort of thing already.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information