Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: George Paton: "Can I get the bill please?"

Default George Paton: "Can I get the bill please?"

George Paton after a weekend bender asks "Can I get the bill please?"

Sure George - let me break it down for you.
    • 2 draft orders of 19 picks over 21'-22': The only player worth a damn - Patrick Surtain.
      1 major order of a coaching hire: Nathaniel Hackett can't hack it after less than a full season.
      1 major trade of a QB: Russel Wilson for two 1sts, 2 seconds, Noah Fant plus scrubs.
      1 major contract for a QB: The biggest contract in Denver history to Russ.

Total Amount:
    $124 Million guaranteed for Russ at signing of contract extension.
    $15 Million over the cap for 2024 season.

Additional Charges:
    2024 Russ salary guaranteed @17Million.
    2025 Russ salary guaranteed @34Million if he's still on the roster start of next offseason.

Bill Amount:
    Dead Money hit of $85Million over the next few years for Wilson's contract.
    Forced rebuild/gutting of roster over the next two years.
    Free of charge: Bi-annual colonoscopies from the Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers for the forseable future.

Will you be paying cash or credit Mr. Paton??
    Last edited by Helios; 09-11-2023 at 07:53 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Helios For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Its amazing to me people still defend Paton. His draft/FA decisions have been shit, and Hackett alone should have cost him his job.

4. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

We're going to have to get from Wilson's contract next offseason and go after the Winstons, Darnolds, etc while we go back to square one at the QB position with a forced rebuild due to that cap hit.

Hopefully we get some decent draft picks when we have to cull the roster.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I’ll take “Revisionists History” for 200, Alex.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

7. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I’ll take “Revisionists History” for 200, Alex.
    Ownership has to take the blame for the Wilson and Payton trades, although to be fair that was in transition when the former was made. Paton has been hit and miss in free agency, but he's very strong in the draft. Not really his fault that he was left a shitshow roster with no quarterback, Elway has to foot that bill. Paton does have to answer for Hackett, that's fair.
    Last edited by dogfish; 09-12-2023 at 11:43 PM.
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Name the impact FA's Paton brought in that have succeeded prior to this year? In the Draft you have Meinerz and PS2 that have been successful. He has been bad plain and simple. Wilson trade doesn't bother me all that much at all even today. Trading for a HC (Probably more ownership then Paton) and Hackett(Fully George) bother me big time. We lack talent and that's rests at the foot of the GM, after this year it will be a coach and/GM combo but if we don't make the playoffs Paton should be fired its that simple for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    Ownership has to take the blame for the Wilson and Payton trades, although to be fair that was in transition when the former was made. Paton has been hit and miss in free agency, but he's very strong in the draft. Not really his fault that he was left a shitshow roster with no quarterback, Elway has to foot that bill. Paton does have to answer for Hackett, that's fair.
    Almost half of the 19 draft picks from 21' and 22' aren't even on the roster.
    Not to mention that Paton has a disturbing pattern of bringing in players in FA and Draft that can't stay healthy.

When you have 19 picks across two years that should set you up for a reasonable haul of young talent.

Instead Denver has a roster is full of undrafted and journeymen players like:

Trautman
    Manhertz
    Adkins
    Brandon Johnson
    McLaughlin
    Elijah Garcia
    Thomas Incoom
    Ja'Quan McMillian
    Essang Bassey
    Delarrin Turner-Yell

And we can't really improve our depth because of how much cap has to go to Wilson's contract.

That's on Paton.
    Last edited by Helios; 09-13-2023 at 09:23 AM.

12. The Following User High Fived Helios For This Post:

I know I'll get stoned for saying this but since Wilson has contract guarantees that kick in March '24 to the tune of $37Million, at this point I would rather just play Stidham.

Wilson isn't your long term QB anyway because that contract is paying him like an elite QB. We don't have WRs/TEs that can be effective in the deep ball/intermediate passing game so you saw how Sean Peyton had to put together a dink and dunk, short area passing game. So why are we paying/playing Wilson when he's not going to be here long term?

You're going to have to rebuild in the offseason, get rid of that contract, and trade away some veterans to get under the cap and swallow all that dead money.

A snowball in hell has a better shot than this current team as it's put together.

Ps2, sterns, meinerz, pj Locke, Bassey (or was he elway?), pookie, Mathis, dixon the punter.... plus potential stars like Riley moss, Drew Sanders, Jaleel, the cfa tackle paswoski or whatever......like it not Bramdon Johnson had outplayed mimms so Brandon counts and mimms likely will too. It's been 4 quarters.

All without 1st or 2nd rd picks.

Had the kicker made the fg we wouldn't even have this conversation. Emotional thread and emotional responses in it. No GM is perfect but Paton has done a pretty good job so far. And don't forget Russell Wilson. Just like those that said Jeudy should be cut. Or DT when we drafted him. Or anything else....majority of you said we'd be a 7 win team tops and yet now we don't even want to evaluate anything more than after 4 quarters of play.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

15. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

******* Game 1, people!

JFC
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

******* Game 1, people!

JFC
    I'm willing to give SP all the time he needs to get this team right.

Paton and Wilson with his contract though are a different matter. For better or for worse they are both tied at the hip because of that deal and Sean Payton doesn't strike me as a guy who's going to put up with it.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

******* Game 1, people!

JFC
    Nah I'm good, SP Isn't the issue in my mind outside the kicker debacle, but George Paton hasn't been all that good in Denver. The roster isn't that good, were a 10-7 team if were lucky. Injuries already are a factor, Depth is still an issue and overall dynamic talent doesn't exist in many places. That dearth of talent rest with Paton more then anyone the last 3 years.

I expected issues week 1. I expect us to beat Washington hell I expect to still win 9ish games this year, but it doesn't change the fact we aren't that good of a roster. In fact SP the coach will probably be the biggest reason we do end up winning 9 games. If it makes you feel better Game 2 should be a win and we can chill till week 3
    Last edited by Elevation inc; 09-14-2023 at 04:33 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Ps2, sterns, meinerz, pj Locke, Bassey (or was he elway?), pookie, Mathis, dixon the punter.... plus potential stars like Riley moss, Drew Sanders, Jaleel, the cfa tackle paswoski or whatever......like it not Bramdon Johnson had outplayed mimms so Brandon counts and mimms likely will too. It's been 4 quarters.

All without 1st or 2nd rd picks.

Had the kicker made the fg we wouldn't even have this conversation. Emotional thread and emotional responses in it. No GM is perfect but Paton has done a pretty good job so far. And don't forget Russell Wilson. Just like those that said Jeudy should be cut. Or DT when we drafted him. Or anything else....majority of you said we'd be a 7 win team tops and yet now we don't even want to evaluate anything more than after 4 quarters of play.
    I felt this way about Paton before the season started, after OTA's, after TC and now after week 1. Hackett alone should have been his ticket out the door. Week 1 wasn't the catalyst its the lack of talent and failure to address it at many spots for me. His drafts haven't hit nor most of his FA's really....is what it is....
    Last edited by Elevation inc; 09-14-2023 at 04:39 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    Nah he agreed to bring in Teddy B, that was enough for me, that was Flacco level to be honest. The rest has been blah and Hackett sealed the deal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    I know I'll get stoned for saying this but since Wilson has contract guarantees that kick in March '24 to the tune of $37Million, at this point I would rather just play Stidham.

Wilson isn't your long term QB anyway because that contract is paying him like an elite QB. We don't have WRs/TEs that can be effective in the deep ball/intermediate passing game so you saw how Sean Peyton had to put together a dink and dunk, short area passing game. So why are we paying/playing Wilson when he's not going to be here long term?

You're going to have to rebuild in the offseason, get rid of that contract, and trade away some veterans to get under the cap and swallow all that dead money.

A snowball in hell has a better shot than this current team as it's put together.
    I agree that this is probably what will have to happen based on what we’ve seen so far with Russ, however Jaded is right here. It’s been one game so far with the new coach. There’s still a chance that he can get back to his old form, albeit not a high chance.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information