Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question re: Roby's 2-point conversion interception.

Default Question re: Roby's 2-point conversion interception.

Here is my question: why wasn't it ruled a fumble when it was stripped from him out on the field of play? At first I thought it was because a 2-point conversion couldn't be returned by the defense, but that rule changed this year, so tje defense can actually return a conversion attempt for 2 points of their own.

So, Roby picked the ball in the endzone, ran it down the field for a bit, had it stripped by the Pats while he was still on his feet, and it was then pounced on by the Pats. Why didn't it become theirs again, at that point?

It was their ball, but the recovering player was on the ground and touched down by Roby. So, that resulted in a dead ball and the 2 point try was over. I'm fairly sure that if the Pat had picked it up, and ran back towards the endzone, without being touched down, then the play would have stayed alive and if they had made it in the endzone, it would have been a 2 point conversion. However, once the player was down, the attempt was over.

As it was a two point conversion, you only get one try, so no different than an incomplete pass, or a run short of the endzone (or a missed FG if it was an extra point kick), when the Pats recovered and were touched down, the attempt was over, and they then kicked off the ball to the Broncos.

3. The Following 7 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Okay, so there can't really be a change of possession on a 2-point conversion?

Actually, just as I was typing this I realized the error of my thinking. I was trying to understand it from the perspectiveif a 4th down play where, say, a ball is intercepted, then fumbled back to the original team, for two changes of possession. BUT, by the time you get to a 2 pointer, the 4th down has already been played, so it's not really a "down" at all.

Thanks Tned, just needed to bounce it off someone to flesh it out.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Yea, the 2 pt play is basically a free play so once the ball was fumbled back to NE the play was over.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Yea, the 2 pt play is basically a free play so once the ball was fumbled back to NE the play was over.
    I think technically it was over when it was fumbled back to NE and NE was down by contact or the ball was otherwise dead. I'm fairly certain if the play had stayed alive and NE was able to take the fumble and run it into the endzone, then it would have been a successful two point conversion.

7. The Following 5 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I think technically it was over when it was fumbled back to NE and NE was down by contact or the ball was otherwise dead. I'm fairly certain if the play had stayed alive and NE was able to take the fumble and run it into the endzone, then it would have been a successful two point conversion.
    I'm not sure - maybe Spike can weigh in - but I believe once NE recovered the fumble, the ball is dead at that spot and can't be advanced on an extra point try.

9. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I think you are right Tned. Here is the rule from the official rulebook:

The Try ends when:
    1. either team scores
    2. the ball is dead by rule
    3. a fumble by either team is recovered by a teammate of the fumbling player
    So form how I interpret that, teams can fumble back and forth to each other all day and the play still lives, you just can't recover your own teammate's fumble or the play then ends.

11. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I'm not sure - maybe Spike can weigh in - but I believe once NE recovered the fumble, the ball is dead at that spot and can't be advanced on an extra point try.
    Nope - I guess it could have been advanced.

5. Try from the 2-yard line. Pass is intercepted by the Bears, then fumbled, and recovered by the Packers and advanced across the Bears' goal line.

Result: Two points for the Packers.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...s-new-pat-rule

13. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I think you are right Tned. Here is the rule from the official rulebook:

So form how I interpret that, teams can fumble back and forth to each other all day and the play still lives, you just can't recover your own teammate's fumble or the play then ends.
    The recovered by your own team is interesting. So, I guess if you were trying to run it in, you fumble, a team mate picks it up, he can't run it in, because the play would be dead. However, if the opposing team got control, and then fumbled, then you could pick it up and run it in.

I'm sure they put that rule in to try and avoid fake fumbles, such as fumbling into the endzone right before going down and hoping one of your team mates was able to jump on it, which would be near zero risk, because if the defense recovered it would simply be a failed two point conversion.

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

That's probably why I was screaming at my TV for Roby to take a knee. I guess he didn't hear me, how do these damn TV's work?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

17. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    That's probably why I was screaming at my TV for Roby to take a knee. I guess he didn't hear me, how do these damn TV's work?
    Except if he were able to take it to the house, it would have been 2 points for us and forced a NE TD to win instead of a FG...had the on-side kick been successful.

19. The Following 5 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Except if he were able to take it to the house, it would have been 2 points for us and forced a NE TD to win instead of a FG...had the on-side kick been successful.
    wasn't worth it

Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Adopted Bronco:

wasn't worth it
    I get your point, but if he downs it...NE gets the on-side kick and gets the FG...you'd be singing a different song. Odds were much higher of that happening than NE stripping him, recovering , and running it in for 2.

I dont put much stock into on-sides... I don't think they work very much. I agree that getting the two points would have made it harder for sure, but the game hinged on the on-side, not the plays after.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I dont put much stock into on-sides... I don't think they work very much. I agree that getting the two points would have made it harder for sure, but the game hinged on the on-side, not the plays after.
    The Pats were 2/2 on onside kicks this year and would have gotten that one had keo muffed it.

24. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information