Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question re: Roby's 2-point conversion interception.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    The Pats were 2/2 on onside kicks this year and would have gotten that one had keo muffed it.
    ummmm but he didn't. And... nobody knows what would have happened if he did. you're arguing speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    ummmm but he didn't. And... nobody knows what would have happened if he did. you're arguing speculation
    It was like him and 5 Pats around the ball. It was super dangerous the way he charged it and touched it before it went 10 yards. That easily could have gone either way.

It was like him and 5 Pats around the ball. It was super dangerous the way he charged it and touched it before it went 10 yards. That easily could have gone either way.
    the ball could have exploded on the kick off too. It's all speculation

Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

the ball could have exploded on the kick off too. It's all speculation
    So for the record you are allowed to speculate on what might have happened on Roby's pick return, but I can't speculate on what might have happened on the onside kick. Got it.

5. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

So for the record you are allowed to speculate on what might have happened on Roby's pick return, but I can't speculate on what might have happened on the onside kick. Got it.
    Yes

LMAO I'm just yanking your chain, Wave. You're a good man for making my morning.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived weazel For This Post:

Roby wanted the 2 points.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

The Pats were 2/2 on onside kicks this year and would have gotten that one had keo muffed it.
    I was aware of this, and very worried about it.

10. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Chiming in late, but: I'm glad someone asked and others fully answered this question, because I also wondered. Under the OLD rule NE* couldn't regain possession and score, but that was because the old rule said the play ended the moment any defender gained possession. Now that it DOESN'T, it made sense that would change, but I didn't know: Now I do, so thanks, everyone.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

That's probably why I was screaming at my TV for Roby to take a knee. I guess he didn't hear me, how do these damn TV's work?
    We must have the same tv. Hillman didn't hear me either when I was telling him to pick up the lateral in the Pats game.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

That's probably why I was screaming at my TV for Roby to take a knee. I guess he didn't hear me, how do these damn TV's work?
    That was my INITIAL thought, but once I remembered it was a two-point attempt and there was near zero risk of New England recovering the ball and running it back 40 yards to the end zone for 2 points I was screaming for Roby to go or lateral the ball or something. It absolutely was worth it, because again, New England only gets one attempt unless there was a defensive penalty on the play(Penalties applied to Denver while Roby or a Denver player had the ball would be assessed on the kickoff, because Roby becomes the offense as soon as he gets the ball). There was zero risk, so I'm not sure what your point was.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    That was my INITIAL thought, but once I remembered it was a two-point attempt and there was near zero risk of New England recovering the ball and running it back 40 yards to the end zone for 2 points I was screaming for Roby to go or lateral the ball or something. It absolutely was worth it, because again, New England only gets one attempt unless there was a defensive penalty on the play(Penalties applied to Denver while Roby or a Denver player had the ball would be assessed on the kickoff, because Roby becomes the offense as soon as he gets the ball). There was zero risk, so I'm not sure what your point was.
    Actually, there was tons of risk. In that situation, he should have immediately taken the knee in the endzone. He was lucky in that he fumbled so far out of the endzone. He could have just as easily fumbled on the five yard line, had the ball bounce around on the ground, knocked back towards the endzone and jumped on by a Pat or fumbled at the five or ten, picked up by a Pat and run back into the endzone for a two point conversion.

Yes, he having a 104 yard return would have put the Broncos up by 4 points, which would have been much better if the Pats had won the onside kick. However, the chances of a 104 yard return in that situation are MUCH lower than him fumbling and NE getting the ball and scoring the two points.

Bottom line, it was a very bad play by Roby.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Actually, there was tons of risk. In that situation, he should have immediately taken the knee in the endzone. He was lucky in that he fumbled so far out of the endzone. He could have just as easily fumbled on the five yard line, had the ball bounce around on the ground, knocked back towards the endzone and jumped on by a Pat or fumbled at the five or ten, picked up by a Pat and run back into the endzone for a two point conversion.

Yes, he having a 104 yard return would have put the Broncos up by 4 points, which would have been much better if the Pats had won the onside kick. However, the chances of a 104 yard return in that situation are MUCH lower than him fumbling and NE getting the ball and scoring the two points.

Bottom line, it was a very bad play by Roby.
    I still disagree. It could not have been ruled a safety unless he ran it out and tried to run back in, so the risk was minimal. Roby wasn't going to drop the ball, and if he did it would have been near impossible for New England to pick it up AND return it. In a normal situation, I'd agree. But due to the special nature of two point attempts, I felt Roby's attempt to take it out again showed his high football IQ off.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I still disagree. It could not have been ruled a safety unless he ran it out and tried to run back in, so the risk was minimal. Roby wasn't going to drop the ball, and if he did it would have been near impossible for New England to pick it up AND return it. In a normal situation, I'd agree. But due to the special nature of two point attempts, I felt Roby's attempt to take it out again showed his high football IQ off.
    I have gone back and forth on this, but I think I've decided on just taking a knee as the play that gives us the highest win probability. At that point in the game, with a 2 point lead and less than a minute left, the only way NE is winning is if they get some sort of fluky play go their way. At the point he intercepted the pass, there are really only two avenues to NE winning. 1- Force Roby to fumble and run it in. 2- Recover an onside kick then score. By just taking the knee, he takes away one of those two possible outcomes. Returning it is a higher variance play, but in that situation, the Pats are wanting high variance. Yes there is the upside for us of going up 4, but the Pats will happily take that chance for the chance of them forcing a fumble and getting those 2 points. In the end, I think taking the knee just makes the most sense, as it takes away one of their avenues to potentially win.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Safety? That doesn't really even come into play as one of the risks.

Roby fumbled and New England recovered. Fortunately, Roby touched down the Patriot immediately. If he takes it out and fumbles, which he did, the ball and play is still live, and a Patriot can pick it up and return it into the endzone and complete the two point try.

It's real hard to argue there was nearly no risk, when he actually fumbled the ball.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Meh. Roby's biggest mistake was slowing down.

Kid made a hell of a play after Talib made a hell of a play.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information