Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: BlabDino: Bryant catch not a TD, Shazier hit legal...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Emma Watson
    Posts
    59,783

    Default BlabDino: Bryant catch not a TD, Shazier hit legal...

    Blabdino really annoys me. I just cant stand this guy.

    He goes on record saying the Bryant catch should not have been a TD but then says the call on the field should stand because there wasnt enough to overturn it. To me, it was clearly a catch as Bryant never lost control of the pass, it wasnt bobbled, etc.

    And the Shazier hit was clearly illegal, he lead with his helmet and Benard was just turning around when he got hit so i dont know how much more defenseless you can be.


    I dont care if the NFL officiating thinks it has done a great job this year, i just dont see it.


    http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/1/15...e-counted-ryan


    NFL Vice President of Officiating Dean Blandino says in his mind the Bryant catch should not have been a catch but also said because it was initially ruled a catch, there wasn't enough to overturn it via instant replay.
    That looks like obvious targeting of Bernard's helmet by Shazier, but Blandino doesn't see it that way.

    "Thereís three elements to that rule," Blandino said. "You have to line up your opponent, you have to lower your head, and you have to make forcible contact with the very top of the helmet. The key issue here is the line up, and when weíre talking about angles, and the players are moving at different angles, where you have Bernard is moving in this direction, Shazier is moving in this direction, then we donít have the line up. Youíre really dealing with the players moving in the same direction towards each other when this rule would apply. The theory being, when players are moving at angles, they donít have as much opportunity to avoid that contact. Thatís where the rule does not apply."

  2. #2

    Default

    The more times I watched the replay of the Bryant TD the more I don't think he caught it. I mean he caught the ball, but he didn't really have full control of the football until he flipped over, unpinned the ball from the back of his hamstring and stood up. By that time he was way out of bounds.

  3. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Emma Watson
    Posts
    59,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    The more times I watched the replay of the Bryant TD the more I don't think he caught it. I mean he caught the ball, but he didn't really have full control of the football until he flipped over, unpinned the ball from the back of his hamstring and stood up. By that time he was way out of bounds.
    I disagree only because the ball always seemed under control to me even when pinned between his legs. I never saw the ball bouncing around in his hands or on his stomach or some other part of his body. When you have momentum you cant just stop on the dime and the way i understand the rules as long as you have control and the ball isnt bouncing up in the air and everything else than i see that as being a catch.

  5. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    22,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I disagree only because the ball always seemed under control to me even when pinned between his legs. I never saw the ball bouncing around in his hands or on his stomach or some other part of his body. When you have momentum you cant just stop on the dime and the way i understand the rules as long as you have control and the ball isnt bouncing up in the air and everything else than i see that as being a catch.
    I'm with this. He caught it, and kept control of it. The flip just kept his hands on the ball and eliminated him having to remove a hand to fall. I absolutely feel it was a catch.

    I think it's disgusting that the NFL rules on catches are SOOOO ridiculously stupid, that this great catch has any kind of doubt as to "being a catch." That boy made an incredible catch for a TD.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

  7. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:


  8. #5

    Default

    I agree it was a fantastic catch and I even said he caught the ball in my original post. I guess i don't really know what the rules are on a play like that anymore.

    I feel like when the ball drops down to the back of his leg, he bobbles it for a split second, then pins it against his leg and still manages to hold on to it. I mean, I know I'm splitting hairs here. It was an incredible play.

  9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:


  10. #6

    Default

    If the league office is going to say it's ok to lead with crown of the helmet and hit someone on the chin in any scenario, then they are a complete joke when it comes to brain trauma awareness.

  11. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:


  12. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,478

    Default

    you have to make forcible contact with the very top of the helmet.
    No, you don't. You don't even have to use the helmet anymore. Earlier this year, they were flagging guy who used their shoulders as long as the hit was above the players' shoulder line. Didn't have to hit with the head at all. The Shazier play was total bs and wasn't player safety the overriding goal? Tell me what happened to Bernard was "safe".
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

  13. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:


  14. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Clown Shoes
    Posts
    43,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    The more times I watched the replay of the Bryant TD the more I don't think he caught it. I mean he caught the ball, but he didn't really have full control of the football until he flipped over, unpinned the ball from the back of his hamstring and stood up. By that time he was way out of bounds.
    Agree. I don't think it was a catch either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

  15. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Bradley Chubb
    Posts
    42,739

    Default

    The Bryant play was not a catch only because the governing rules on the subject matter suck ass.

    The Shazier hit was obviously illegal and within the context of the game it was that much 'more' illegal due to the Wheaton call.
    I'm basically John Grisham.

  16. The Following User High Fived King87 For This Post:


  17. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Clown Shoes
    Posts
    43,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    The Bryant play was not a catch only because the governing rules on the subject matter suck ass.

    The Shazier hit was obviously illegal and within the context of the game it was that much 'more' illegal due to the Wheaton call.
    I like your avy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

  18. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Bradley Chubb
    Posts
    42,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    I like your avy.
    I'm trying to be supportive. Plus I always liked Atwater. He's dope.
    I'm basically John Grisham.

  19. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Clown Shoes
    Posts
    43,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    I'm trying to be supportive. Plus I always liked Atwater. He's dope.
    He played a hell of a game in that super bowl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

  20. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Bradley Chubb
    Posts
    42,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    He played a hell of a game in that super bowl.
    Favre drowned in the Atwater.
    I'm basically John Grisham.

  21. The Following 2 Users High Fived King87 For This Post:


  22. #14

    Default

    Huh, missed this; didn't even know anyone was talking about Bryants incomplete. Because that's what it was: He was indisputably "going to the ground" (i.e. doing a backflip) and just as indisputably didn't secure the ball until literally heels over head in midair. That's no different than jumping up to catch a pass and securing it in midair but landing out of bounds. In fact, that's EXACTLY what Bryant did: He just did it in a really theatrical way.

    I already wondered about that "catch" live, so replay just confirmed suspicion; Blandino's either blind and/or shilling (no prize for guessing which) to claim otherwise.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. óJaded

    Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. óMe

  23. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I'm with this. He caught it, and kept control of it. The flip just kept his hands on the ball and eliminated him having to remove a hand to fall. I absolutely feel it was a catch.
    Except the gif clearly shows he'd ALREADY removed a hand to break his fall, and only THEN flipped and placed it back on the ball: Because he felt the ball COME LOOSE, which it just as clearly did when he removed his hand. He didn't REGAIN control until he flipped over and put his second hand back on the ball, which is great.

    Except he was already fully in the air by then, and didn't land in bounds. Ergo, incomplete pass. In the old days, it would've been enough to secure it completely in bounds at SOME (however brief) point, but I'm not even sure he ever even did that. But I am sure he didn't do it before he began "going to the ground," that while "going to the ground" he lost whatever brief control he may have had, and that he did not (re)gain control before landing out of bounds.

    Ironically, "catches" like that are the reason why the old clear, simple and INFINITELY BETTER rules were changed to the current confusingly ambiguous ones. But the fact that "catch" is being debated ANYWAY proves the cost of that confusing ambiguity hasn't bought us any more certainty (imagine that....) So I do agree we should revert to the clearer, simpler and infinitely better rule. As does the OTHER Bryant WR.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. óJaded

    Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. óMe

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group