Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Linked in.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Default Linked in.

What is it, and should I be on it?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I have found it to be a giant waste of time but others might disagree.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I thought LinkedIn was almost as ubiquitous as Facebook, but maybe not in Europe. The short answer is that it's become THE social media for professionals. You should definitely be on it if you plan on being employed in the 21st century. Employers use it to recruit, most bigger companies will allow you to apply using your LinkedIn profile. I'm surprised you aren't familiar with it.

4. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I thought LinkedIn was almost as ubiquitous as Facebook, but maybe not in Europe. The short answer is that it's become THE social media for professionals. You should definitely be on it if you plan on being employed in the 21st century. Employers use it to recruit, most bigger companies will allow you to apply using your LinkedIn profile. I'm surprised you aren't familiar with it.
    I mean, I have one, but I have never actively used it to get a job nor I have I ever really had trouble getting work. Maybe it depends on what industry you are in.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I have heard of it, but never used it, or really spoke to anyone who uses it.

So I can go on there and employers can find me?

Is that the point in it... To find work?

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I mean, I have one, but I have never actively used it to get a job nor I have I ever really had trouble getting work. Maybe it depends on what industry you are in.
    I think it's entirely possible to make it without LinkedIn, especially in certain industries, but 396 million users would indicate that it's a pretty powerful platform.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I think it's entirely possible to make it without LinkedIn, especially in certain industries, but 396 million users would indicate that it's a pretty powerful platform.
    I wonder how many of those users are super active on it though. Like, I know when I was in college they basically told us all to get one so we did, but I'm not really sure how many people actively use it.

Like, I update it when I change jobs and such, but that's about it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I have heard of it, but never used it, or really spoke to anyone who uses it.

So I can go on there and employers can find me?

Is that the point in it... To find work?
    Correct, to connect employers with employees, and network. But it's also grown to where you can read a lot of original content there as well. For instance, you can subscribe to a different interests like leadership, or technology, or whatever, and then you will get articles from leaders in that space. You can also post your own stuff - so a lot of small business owners use it to market their businesses or services, etc.

I think you're definitely doing yourself a disservice by not having a LinkedIn profile these days. I don't think you would even get consideration for a job without one in my industry.

10. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I wonder how many of those users are super active on it though. Like, I know when I was in college they basically told us all to get one so we did, but I'm not really sure how many people actively use it.

Like, I update it when I change jobs and such, but that's about it.
    I'm really not trying to be a condescending know-it-all... But I think you're being a little naive about it. I've been on the hiring end of things and it's absolutely critical to the evaluation process. If you don't have a profile, you will almost always lose out to the person with a good profile, personal connections not withstanding.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Ok, one linked in profile coming up.

I guess it is not the place to mention dead hookers, unless I want to move into the motel industry

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

I dont have one, but I probably get one or two requests a day from clients wishing to use me as a reference or an acquaintance or some sort of thing. It is one of the main reasons why I do not have one. Too many people and requests.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I dont have one, but I probably get one or two requests a day from clients wishing to use me as a reference or an acquaintance or some sort of thing. It is one of the main reasons why I do not have one. Too many people and requests.
    Are you some kind of godfather in your industry

You can also post your own stuff - so a f business owners use it to market their businesses or services, etc.

Wait a minute..... Would you care to elaborate this portion please.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Are you some kind of godfather in your industry
    The dead hookers society is always looking for new members. Youd fit right in.
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

18. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Wait a minute..... Would you care to elaborate this portion please.
    For instance, my cousin is a mortgage broker, and she is always posting articles about when is the right time to refinance, learning how to invest in properties for income, etc. So she is taking a more indirect approach and establishing her credibility as an information provider, which helps he build her brand.

Or you can be more direct and target your marketing to certain audiences. So you could say, I want to send this PM to everyone with the title "sales manager" in the Denver Metro area.

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information