Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: If You Could Change One NFL Rule (or Enforcement) What Would It Be?

Default If You Could Change One NFL Rule (or Enforcement) What Would It Be?

I think for me it would be illegal contact. That seems the most arbitrary of them all. If they don't want to remove it then make it 5 yards, but no automatic first down. Teams get first downs a lot of times based on some VERY minor contact.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    I think for me it would be illegal contact. That seems the most arbitrary of them all. If they don't want to remove it then make it 5 yards, but no automatic first down. Teams get first downs a lot of times based on some VERY minor contact.
    I agree. #SpikeforheadofNFLofficiating

4. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

You just invited a bunch of angry meatheads to yell about how headshots should be legal like they used to be!

If it were up to me, I would revamp the PI rule and split it into 2 calls: Regular PI and flagrant PI. Regular PI would just be contact that happens after the pass is thrown, while flagrant PI would be something like a DB gets clearly beat and just tackles the WR instead of making a play on the ball. The normal variety would be a 15 yard penalty while the flagrant variety would be a spot foul.

Now the downside of this would be that it would be really hard to know where to draw that line, and is one more judgement call that refs get to make that could strongly alter games. The problem is, though, that while most people seem to think a spot foul for all PI is excessive, you can't just make all PI calls 15 yards, because then DBs would just outright tackle WRs every time they get beat deep because there would be no good reason not to.

So I think if you were going to change the PI rule, that's how you should do it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

To expand on my last post, I would want flagrant PI to be something that's only called on like 5% of PI calls if that. Just for things that are obviously a DB getting beat deep and making a straight play on the WR instead of the ball. The vast, vast majority of PI would need to be of the normal variety for this to work. Adding the flagrant rule just prevents DBs from taking advantage of PI only being a 15 yarder, and would hopefully be called very sparingly.

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    You just invited a bunch of angry meatheads to yell about how headshots should be legal like they used to be!

If it were up to me, I would revamp the PI rule and split it into 2 calls: Regular PI and flagrant PI. Regular PI would just be contact that happens after the pass is thrown, while flagrant PI would be something like a DB gets clearly beat and just tackles the WR instead of making a play on the ball. The normal variety would be a 15 yard penalty while the flagrant variety would be a spot foul.

Now the downside of this would be that it would be really hard to know where to draw that line, and is one more judgement call that refs get to make that could strongly alter games. The problem is, though, that while most people seem to think a spot foul for all PI is excessive, you can't just make all PI calls 15 yards, because then DBs would just outright tackle WRs every time they get beat deep because there would be no good reason not to.

So I think if you were going to change the PI rule, that's how you should do it.
    Man I really like this. It addresses my concerns that corners often will mug a guy just before the WR breaks free for a massive gain and or score. It is subjective, but all PI calls are going to be anyway. My addendum would be in the red zone any PI becomes a spot foul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

9. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

They need to get rid of the quarterback slide rule. I also want intentional grounding to be a turnover.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    Man I really like this. It addresses my concerns that corners often will mug a guy just before the WR breaks free for a massive gain and or score. It is subjective, but all PI calls are going to be anyway. My addendum would be in the red zone any PI becomes a spot foul.
    I would equate it with something like the clear path foul in basketball. You don't see it called often, but it stops the defender from just pulling down a guy who has a breakaway.

12. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

I would equate it with something like the clear path foul in basketball. You don't see it called often, but it stops the defender from just pulling down a guy who has a breakaway.
    Yeah, I like it a lot. I also think it would do a lot to stop those stupid PI's where a defender gets beat, and just mugs the WR by lunging at him and not playing the ball.

But what if a PI occurs seven yards down the field? Some might argue that you would be giving them too many yards. I'm not sure I would agree with them.

To expand on my last post, I would want flagrant PI to be something that's only called on like 5% of PI calls if that. Just for things that are obviously a DB getting beat deep and making a straight play on the WR instead of the ball. The vast, vast majority of PI would need to be of the normal variety for this to work. Adding the flagrant rule just prevents DBs from taking advantage of PI only being a 15 yarder, and would hopefully be called very sparingly.
    I totally get where you're coming from. I know that, at least in the college rulebook, part of the requirement for a foul for PI is that the defensive (or offensive) player has to commit an act to intentionally restrict the player from making a play on the ball. That's why you'll see a lot of contact, but no call. Hand fighting is ok as both players have equal rights to the ball. I think you bring up a really interesting point though. I like it. Something like, if the defensive player is beaten (you could say if the receiver is further downfield than the defender) and he makes an obvious attempt to prevent the receiver from making a play on the ball, i.e. a tackle, then it's a spot foul. The more I think about it, the more I like it.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Yeah, I like it a lot. I also think it would do a lot to stop those stupid PI's where a defender gets beat, and just mugs the WR by lunging at him and not playing the ball.

But what if a PI occurs seven yards down the field? Some might argue that you would be giving them too many yards. I'm not sure I would agree with them.
    I wouldn't be opposed to making PI calls under 15 yards from the line a spot foul, but I don't feel to strongly either way on that aspect of it to be honest.

17. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Do it like college. If it's less than 15 yards, even non-flagrant fouls are spot fouls (with an automatic 1st down).

*BW beat me to it.

19. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

I wouldn't be opposed to making PI calls under 15 yards from the line a spot foul, but I don't feel to strongly either way on that aspect of it to be honest.
    It does sort of feel that either approach is commensurate in strength with the other.

21. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Broncowave stole that idea from me. But yeah, that.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

23. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    It's because you're a stinkin' genius. We all steal ideas from you.

25. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    This is an outrageous accusation. Keeper, I am putting you on retainer. Get him!

27. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information