Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: If You Could Change One NFL Rule (or Enforcement) What Would It Be?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I would like to introduce Exhibit B into evidence:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...iants-steelers

If two guys are fighting for the football, I'm sorry, but the offense shouldn't be awarded a first down at the spot of contact. It's simply not fair. If an official feels as if contact was made by the defender, throw the flag. However, why not just make it a 15 yard penalty? Now, if a defender pulls an Ike Taylor and face-guards a receiver, pulls one or both of his arms down as he's trying to catch the football, or simply drags him down after being severely beaten on a long pass, then yes, penalize that man as many yards as are necessary.
    This clearly shows the same idea being put forth on a Steelers blog in 2012. So if I'm guilty of stealing this idea from Chazoe, he is just as guilty of stealing it, and from a Steelers fan nonetheless.

So which way is it gonna be, chaz? Did we both steal it, or is my idea my own?

As BW's representation, the accusations of thievery still stand, and as such we cannot withdraw our legal compliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

If it makes you guys feel any better, I didn't read either proposal.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post

This clearly shows the same idea being put forth on a Steelers blog in 2012. So if I'm guilty of stealing this idea from Chazoe, he is just as guilty of stealing it, and from a Steelers fan nonetheless.

This guy came up with it before it was cool to either of you on his typewriter at a coffee shop where he drank locally sourced organic tea so you guys are both wrong. He transcribed the entire thing onto a vintage tape recorder and had it transferred to vinyl in a lost dialect by a translator of the language known as Kwikionobo from a lost Amazonian Tribe:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_nnj7yxohDC1uqw9t8o1_1280.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	8254

His favorite team is the Boston Bees who played one season back in 1938. You've probably never heard of them.

6. The Following 5 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Well, I'm not a fag so I obviously don't read Stealer fan blog posts.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

And on topic of the thread, I would change Holding calls on the offense from 10 yards to 5 yards. 10 yards seems so arbitrary and a holding call almost always kills a drive. I think the average yards per play in the NFL is about 5 or 6 so I never understood why it backs the team up 10 yards.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Well, I'm not a fag so I obviously don't read Stealer fan blog posts.
    And I'm not a moron so I would obviously never open a thread started by you.

11. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

And I'm not a moron so I would obviously never open a thread started by you.
    Touche, douche.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

13. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    And on topic of the thread, I would change Holding calls on the offense from 10 yards to 5 yards. 10 yards seems so arbitrary and a holding call almost always kills a drive. I think the average yards per play in the NFL is about 5 or 6 so I never understood why it backs the team up 10 yards.
    The defense is punished so much more unfairly that I'm fine with a holding call being that harsh. They get the down over again. If it was 5 yards and loss of down I'd be okay with that.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Holding needs to be called more. It stops a sack and damage to a QB, and when your team is predicated upon a pass rush and it's not called it's damaging. It should be 15 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

17. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

God there are many. Illegal contact is definitely toward the top of the list. That's not a penalty in college and there's even MORE offense there than in the NFL, so it's not like you're significantly nerfing the passing game.

I utterly despise spot of the foul PI as well. With the way they call PI spot of the foul is just...broken. It lets the officials literally decide the outcome of games at times. I'd be ok with a clear path rule like Wave suggested, but I wouldn't mind at all if it were just 15 yards at most. 40+ yards of penalty yardage for slight contact is insane.

I think most people recognize that hits to head needed to be removed, but I'd like to see that penalty be reviewable. It's easy for an official to see shoulder-to-shoulder as head-to-head in real time, so use replay to get the call right. It's not hard.

Which leads me into the thing I think I'd want changed most, which is abolishing the ridiculous "indisputable evidence" standard of replay. Being a ref in football is HARD, why should the call on the field made in real time be more valuable than what you can see in a slow motion replay? In like 95% of replays, even if the play is close, you can definitively confirm or overturn the call on the field. Make a reasonable call based on what you see in the video replay, and stop giving so much credit to the call on the field. The only way you should have to defer to call on the field for lack of evidence would be if it's literally impossible to see a good angle on replay, such as a fumble recovery or spot of the ball when a player is completely covered by bodies.

19. The Following 4 Users High Fived I Eat Staples For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by I Eat Staples View Post
    God there are many. Illegal contact is definitely toward the top of the list. That's not a penalty in college and there's even MORE offense there than in the NFL, so it's not like you're significantly nerfing the passing game.

I utterly despise spot of the foul PI as well. With the way they call PI spot of the foul is just...broken. It lets the officials literally decide the outcome of games at times. I'd be ok with a clear path rule like Wave suggested, but I wouldn't mind at all if it were just 15 yards at most. 40+ yards of penalty yardage for slight contact is insane.

I think most people recognize that hits to head needed to be removed, but I'd like to see that penalty be reviewable. It's easy for an official to see shoulder-to-shoulder as head-to-head in real time, so use replay to get the call right. It's not hard.

Which leads me into the thing I think I'd want changed most, which is abolishing the ridiculous "indisputable evidence" standard of replay. Being a ref in football is HARD, why should the call on the field made in real time be more valuable than what you can see in a slow motion replay? In like 95% of replays, even if the play is close, you can definitively confirm or overturn the call on the field. Make a reasonable call based on what you see in the video replay, and stop giving so much credit to the call on the field. The only way you should have to defer to call on the field for lack of evidence would be if it's literally impossible to see a good angle on replay, such as a fumble recovery or spot of the ball when a player is completely covered by bodies.
    I agree with everything you said, except your last paragraph.

The PI call shouldn't be such a big penalty BECAUSE its so arbitrary and judgemental. But then you want to turn around and give the ref the power to change a call with arbituary judgement. That would give the ref to CHANGE a call based on judgement and maybe's. Not sure I agree with you on that one
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

In a one score game, inside he two minute warning, plays for negative yardage would stop the clock.

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    In a one score game, inside he two minute warning, plays for negative yardage would stop the clock.
    I like it. A lot. How much more exciting would games be knowing you CAN'T just take a knee? You MUST run the ball and you MUST gain yardage in order to keep the clock moving. Good call foreigner.

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    I like it. A lot. How much more exciting would games be knowing you CAN'T just take a knee? You MUST run the ball and you MUST gain yardage in order to keep the clock moving. Good call foreigner.
    Thanks dude!

26. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information