Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: AFC Team Most Likely to be one-and-done:Denver Broncos

Default AFC Team Most Likely to be one-and-done:Denver Broncos

The easier answer would be the Kansas City Chiefs, who started the season at 1-5, but it's hard to overlook the 10-game win streak that secured the fifth seed, even though only two of those 10 wins came against fellow playoff teams. So if not the Chiefs, then their opponent, the Houston Texans, right? (If for no other reason than the simple fact that they got here by way of the lowly AFC South, and even that was a challenge.) Not in this case. Traditionally, one-and-done is reserved for a team that is actually playing in the opening round of the playoffs -- rather than watching from home after earning a bye and the No. 1 overall seed in the conference field -- but when I look at the Broncos' on-field production and situation as a whole, it paints a different picture.

First off, the Broncos lack an overall identity. They hired Gary Kubiak to run his style of offense, but it was clear from Day 1 that scheme wasn't going to gel with the aging Peyton Manning. Just when they were finally turning over the offensive reins to the Manning style we have grown accustomed to, he goes down with a foot injury and the team reverts back to Kubiak's system with Brock Osweiler under center. At one point, Denver looked like a team that could win big with a dominant defense, but the Broncos were missing the other part of the equation: a solid rushing attack.

Secondly, and most importantly, the Broncos are the worst team in the 12-team playoff field in a stat that I put a lot of weight in: toxic differential. In simple terms, the stat combines the team's ability to earn and stop explosion plays while also creating takeaways and limiting turnovers. The Broncos are one of just three teams to qualify for the playoffs with a negative toxic at -4 -- 39 points behind the playoff-leading Bengals at +35. This will haunt Denver, no matter who the opponent is in the Divisional Round.
    Rest of the article here
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...elers-seahawks

Brian Billick doesn't like Denver's chances.

Expect to see more of this kind of article in the next few weeks. They were the same articles that were written last year, and they proved correct. In both 2012 and 2014, only one team with the bye lost their first game - it was us both times (I believe it happened to the Falcons in 2013, against a team everyone thought was better than them anyway, the 49ers). Until we prove otherwise, this is how we will be treated in the media.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Hard to argue with him if not more for past history. The team has been really jeckyl and hyde this year. But.... The Pats are the same way, as pointed out in the article Houston and KC really havent been battle tested so i think both are due for a letdown. Cincy would probably be the strongest team but that only would apply if Dalton is back in the lineup. The one thing that Billick hasnt really looked at or considered though is the Broncos have been down and come back against some really good teams. The defense is good enough to get the job done, the question will be can they stay focused enough to get it done.

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Is he wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

If only we had a good defense and a quality quarterback like Trent Dilfer.

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    Is he wrong?
    No, we are 5-4 in the last 9 games.

Is he wrong?
    He's on point when he says the Broncos lack an identity.

What are they on offense? Peyton awkwardly trying to run Kubiak's offense? Peyton trying to run a hybrid of Gary's and his offense? Brock running Gary's offense? Peyton taking over the offense?

You would have hoped by now that they would have figured this out. I don't think this is going to end well.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Is he wrong?
    I think there is a very good chance he will be proven wrong.

12. The Following 7 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    No, we are 5-4 in the last 9 games.
    We are also 5-2 in our last 7, including wins against the top 2 AFC teams, not including us.

14. The Following 8 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

There are four teams in the AFC that will have a playoff game before the Broncos take the field again. Two of those will be "one and done". Is Billick really saying that all four of those teams are more likely to win a first game than Denver will? So, he is actually saying that both of the AFC wildcard games are at 50-50 of who will win? The AFC most likely to be one and done has to be Houston, no other team even comes close. Not saying Denver will sail cleanly into the Superbowl, but this analysis by Billick is pretty weak sauce.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived LawDog For This Post:

Is he wrong?
    Literally, yes because two AFC teams will already be one and done before the Broncos even take the field. That said I think the conference is anybodys to take. The Broncos are "battle tested" though. They played 7 games against playoff teams and went 5-2, including 3 14 point come backs. We have a good a chance as anybody, and we're at home.

Also, Billick is practically never right about anything, so this is a good sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    There are four teams in the AFC that will have a playoff game before the Broncos take the field again. Two of those will be "one and done". Is Billick really saying that all four of those teams are more likely to win a first game than Denver will? So, he is actually saying that both of the AFC wildcard games are at 50-50 of who will win? The AFC most likely to be one and done has to be Houston, no other team even comes close. Not saying Denver will sail cleanly into the Superbowl, but this analysis by Billick is pretty weak sauce.
    Literally, yes because two AFC teams will already be one and done before the Broncos even take the field. That said I think the conference is anybodys to take. The Broncos are "battle tested" though. They played 7 games against playoff teams and went 5-2, including 3 14 point come backs. We have a good a chance as anybody, and we're at home.

Also, Billick is practically never right about anything, so this is a good sign.
    I didn't read the article, but I don't think Billick considers wildcard games as actual "playoff" games. Those are played to get into his version of the playoffs.

You didn't have go depants me in front of the whole class.

20. The Following 9 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Rest of the article here
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...elers-seahawks

Brian Billick doesn't like Denver's chances.
    Not gonna even read.

22. The Following User High Fived TimHippo For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TimHippo View Post
    Not gonna even read.
    I didn't even read this.

24. The Following 4 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information