Thread: UVA Football: London out, BYU's Mendenhall in

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default UVA Football: London out, BYU's Mendenhall in

Im happy about this. I know Mendenhall had some good success at BYU so im hoping he brings all that with him to UVA. London just wasnt cutting it.

http://www.nbc29.com/story/30671678/...football-coach

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Bronco Mendenhall, the head coach at Brigham Young University for the last 11 years, is the new head football coach at the University of Virginia, director of athletics Craig Littlepage announced today, Friday, Dec. 4.

Mendenhall, Virginia’s 40th head football coach, has compiled an overall record of 99-42 in his 11 seasons as head coach at BYU to rank 12th in total wins among all FBS teams during that time. Mendenhall also ranks 13th in winning percentage (.702) among all active coaches with at least five years of FBS experience, and he ranks 10th among active coaches with at least 10 years of experience.

In the three seasons prior to Mendenhall becoming the head coach at BYU, the Cougars compiled an overall record of 14-21. Over the last 11 years, the Cougars are one of only 11 programs to advance to a bowl game each season (includes the 2015 season). BYU is joined by Alabama, Boise State, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, Oregon, Virginia Tech and Wisconsin on that list.

Among those 11 teams, only Florida State has achieved more bowl wins (seven) than BYU’s six bowl game victories.

“Bronco Mendenhall’s teams have consistently won at a high level and he’s demonstrated the ability to create a strategic vision to build a program and then implement his plan to be successful,” Littlepage said. “His emphasis on the overall development of student athletes and a commitment to academic achievement is in line with our goals of Uncompromised Excellence. We’re excited to begin a new era of Virginia football and support Bronco and his staff.”

“I wish to express my appreciation to President Teresa Sullivan, Director of Athletics Craig Littlepage and Executive Associate Athletics Director Jon Oliver for their belief and trust in me to lead and guide the football program at the University of Virginia,” Mendenhall said. “Professionally and personally I seek to embrace the highest standards in college sports, on and off the field, and I love the high standards both academically and athletically at Virginia. I am excited to not only help provide the continual growth and development of the student athletes academically but also reestablish Virginia as a consistent winner with a fiercely competitive and winning product on the football field.

He's a good coach North. Are you excited?

3. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    He's a good coach North. Are you excited?
    Very.

Why would he leave BYU for UVA?

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Why would he leave BYU for UVA?
    More money
    ACC

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    More money
    ACC
    Good point.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information