Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Browns name McCown starting QB, demote Manziel

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    12 turnovers to 18 touchdowns. I feel like when advocating for a running qb it's only fair to count fumbles, and rushing tds.
    It's fair to count that for a QB period; strip-sacks often make pocket QBs their teams leading fumbler, yet their PASSER Rating doesn't even include the lost sack yardage. And, whether many or few, rushing yards, TDs and turnovers all count on the field, so should count elsewhere also.

These things, btw, only make Aaron Rodgers that much MORE amazing, because he runs a lot yet STILL rarely fumbles. Many people have tweaked the PRS over the years by the simple expedient of including runs and sacks as attempts (but only positive runs as completions) and rushing TD and turnovers with passing ones; I bet Rodgers is at or near the top of those rankings. If I weren't so sick and planning a transatlantic move I'd go find out for sure.

None of which changes Manziels need to realize that now that he's in the NFL and compiling a rapidly growing rap sheet he can't spend every night at the Chicken as if he were still in College Station. College Station's a typical rural big college small town whose population quadruples during classes, but Manziels days of being a big fish in a small pond ended when he chose to leave that behind for the big time (which somehow equates to Cleveland thanks to the draft.) No one there's got any patience for the latest Browns QB disaster.
    Last edited by Joel; 12-01-2015 at 07:52 AM.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    I apologize if I offended anyone by casting aspersions on the rehab industry. I have personal opinions about those facilities. Unfortunately, many rehab facilities are motivated by greed and they exaggerate their successes to market new clients. Alcoholism is a brutal disease and there are people out there who will take advantage of wealthy alcoholics. Thats where I was coming from. As for Manziel, he can stop drinking and he doesnt need rehab to do it. I hope he can do it or alcohol will destroy his career and then it will destroy his life.
    Or maybe the addict just doesn't want to be cleaned up.

Personal story...my ex and I were pretty heavy addicts for 5 years. We get in trouble. Both forced into rehab settings. I take my recovery very seriously and get as much out of my program as possible. I celebrate 15 years of sobriety in Dec. 9th, no relapses ever. My ex fights it tooth and nail, never follows through on recovery. He finally kicked the drugs 2 years ago with a court ordered program and is now an alcoholic instead.

Moral of the story...rehab only works if the addict does the work. No program is a miracle that just stops addiction, they just give the tools for success....it's the addict who does the work.
    Last edited by GEM; 12-01-2015 at 11:20 AM.

3. The Following 6 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Or maybe the addict just doesn't want to be cleaned up.

Personal story...my ex and I were pretty heavy addicts for 5 years. We get in trouble. Both forced into rehab settings. I take my recovery very seriously and get as much out of my program as possible. I celebrate 15 years of sobriety in Dec. 9th, no relapses ever. My ex fights it tooth and nail, never follows through on recovery. He finally kicked the drugs 2 years ago with a court ordered program and is now an alcoholic instead.

Moral of the story...rehab only works if the addict does the work. No program is a miracle that just stops addiction, they just give the tools for success....it's the addict who does the work.
    And part of the work is giving up on things that trigger a relapse, which may include friends, job or family members.

That can be quite a sacrifice.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

6. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    And part of the work is giving up on things that trigger a relapse, which may include friends, job or family members.

That can be quite a sacrifice.
    I couldn't go around people and places. People I saw every day for 2-5 years straight, I haven't seen in 15 years and hope to never see them again. Triggers are a bitch....I get them once in awhile, but brush that shit off quick. One of my worst triggers was my ex... More than enough reason to send him packing.

8. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    So you see no issue with someone who was just in rehab for alcohol abuse going out and getting hammered then lying to the team about it?
    How do you know he went out and got hammered? Were you there?

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    How do you know he went out and got hammered? Were you there?
    All the reports I've seen is that he was videotaped and then tried to get his friends to lie that the tape was old. :shrugs: I think the Browns' issue with him is poor decision making and then lying about it. I don't think it mattered if he was hammered or not, just the fact that he was drinking which puts him and the team in jeopardy.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    All the reports I've seen is that he was videotaped and then tried to get his friends to lie that the tape was old. :shrugs: I think the Browns' issue with him is poor decision making and then lying about it. I don't think it mattered if he was hammered or not, just the fact that he was drinking which puts him and the team in jeopardy.
    If he lied to the team about it then yeah, which came out after I posted what I posted initially. I still don't see how him drinking is a problem. Lots of NFL players drink.

If I am not mistaken, the rehab came after the incident where he and that hot chick he was dating had a fight in his car.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/10/...ument-drinking

This is why he hent to rehab, probably because the team asked him to. I don't see a big deal. It's a big story because of who he is but lots of guys his age have done the same thing. The pesky media blowing it out of proportion.

13. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

They were probably looking for a way out. This coaching staff didn't draft him, has no ties to him.
    Last edited by GEM; 12-02-2015 at 02:26 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

If he lied to the team about it then yeah, which came out after I posted what I posted initially. I still don't see how him drinking is a problem. Lots of NFL players drink.

If I am not mistaken, the rehab came after the incident where he and that hot chick he was dating had a fight in his car.

This is why he hent to rehab, probably because the team asked him to. I don't see a big deal. It's a big story because of who he is but lots of guys his age have done the same thing. The pesky media blowing it out of proportion.
    Rehab was this past summer. That was a month ago.

So after going to rehab, he has the incident with his girlfriend and then another incident where he's on camera in Vegas drinking champagne and lies about that interaction to his coach. He definitely is a bit of a victim of people now seeing him, no matter where he is, and flipping their phone video recorders on and then selling it to TMZ, but he's also not making very good choices about where he is considering who he is and his past.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Maybe the Rams will hire Chip Kelly and trade for Johnny Barfly.

If they do I'm buying stock in Jergens and Kleenex.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I think you are trying to view this situation in a vacuum when the context is the most important part. In a vacuum, a player should be free to go drink on their bye week. But when a player has shown real addiction issues, missed team functions, hampered his performance, lost respect of his bosses, embarrassed the team publicly on multiple occasions, and made multiple promises to reform and not be a distraction - I can see where they'd say enough is enough and we just don't have time to hold this kid's hand to try and make him a reliable professional.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information