Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter King: Drama builds in Denver

Default Peter King: Drama builds in Denver

The national media is all over the Osweiler/Manning angle today (I have another link I'm going to post in this thread once I'm done reading it). This was the lead story in Peter King's MMQB this morning:

Osweiler winning this game in Chicago wasn’t the biggest surprise in the league this year. But the way he won it was notable. Osweiler played with confidence and a self-assuredness that belied his experience. His experience, basically, was that he had none. In his last start, nearly four years ago, Osweiler and his Arizona State teammates got their clocks cleaned in the Maaco Bowl in Las Vegas. Asked late Sunday afternoon if he had any doubts about his ability to play well in an NFL game, Osweiler said from Chicago: “When you haven’t started a game in three-and-a-half years, those thoughts do creep in.”

Manning was intercepted in every game he played this year—a league-high 17 in all.

Osweiler was not intercepted in 12 drives in Chicago on Sunday.

Manning, with sore ribs and plantar fasciitis in a heel, was left home to rest and rehab by the Broncos, and I’m told he did a lot of both over the weekend. Everyone was mum on what the Broncos were likely to do this week, but let’s go on coach Gary Kubiak’s word. He said Manning is the starting quarterback when healthy. Eight days ago, Manning’s throws were weaker than they’d ever been, and he wasn’t comfortable moving on his sore heel. His ribs ached. Is there any chance all of those things heal enough to be fully healthy in a week? Kubiak can always say, “Peyton’s not fully there yet, so we’re giving him at least another week to get himself right.” Manning may not like that, but lions in winter don’t like being told it’s wintertime either.
    My gut feeling is that the Broncos will let Manning heal and rehab at least one more week, though all voices on this topic, including Manning’s, were silent Sunday night. If this is the case, and Osweiler either plays valiantly and very close against New England, or beats the Patriots, then I think the Broncos have to face the reality that Osweiler should continue to play. Those, of course, are very big ifs.

This time is coming. It comes for every player. I would be careful about putting Manning out to pasture just yet, but I would also be pragmatic and smart. Every decision Kubiak and Elway make has to be for the team first and Manning—and all individuals—after that. What do we do now? Play Osweiler at least one more week is my guess. But whatever happens, the near future will be high drama in Denver.
    http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/11/23/m...weiler-broncos

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

And here's Mike Tanier's piece on Osweiler, also leading off his column this morning:

But here's the thing: The Broncos are better off playing ultra-conservative offensive football. They are designed to win with defense and ball control. Even on a day when their defense was making mistakes and committing too many penalties, the Denver defense made the stops it had to make, in part because it had the field-position advantage that often comes with a turnover-free day.
    The Kubiak offense may not make your toes curl with enthusiasm, but it's an efficient system when working in harmony with a defense built to win games and special teams that reward every trip inside the 35-yard line.

So Osweiler may not be a better quarterback than the Manning of September and October. But he's the best quarterback for the current Broncos situation. The Manning of the first two months was still pretty good at getting out of the trouble he kept getting himself into. Osweiler might avoid the trouble in the first place.
    Leave the baggage aside. This is not about Manning's "legacy" or some soap opera. It's about six more games, playoff seedings, 17 interceptions, the type of foot injury that never really heals, three-and-a-half years preparing for an opportunity, and, yes, the coming post-Manning Denver Broncos reality.

Osweiler is the best choice for the Broncos right now. It's up to Kubiak, the defense and the rest of the organization to make sure that choice is good enough.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...rs-time-is-now

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

All the drama is in the media. I doubt the team really cares.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    All the drama is in the media. I doubt the team really cares.
    I agree but they'll start caring if Manning starts again and starts throwing ints that put the defense in bad situations.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

I was amazed how well the team responded to Brock on Sunday. They were all shouting his name after the game, and for the first time in 3 1/2 years, it felt like Manning was never on the team. I think this is still a delicate situation to handle by the FO and Kubiak.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I agree but they'll start caring if Manning starts again and starts throwing ints that put the defense in bad situations.
    Im not going to play the what-if game.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Does it really matter? Most I've read have the BRONCOS losing to the Patriots regardless who's at QB. Kubiak won't be able to play conservative against the Patriots, if he does, he's already accepted defeat before being defeated. BRONCOS defense won't keep the Patriots from scoring.

I say open the playbook, and let's see what Osweiler has.

12. The Following 6 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Hrmm, this whole thing is just seems like a bunch of bull to me.

The timing is jsut to perfect to be much more than just creating click bait.

Considering how bad the officiating has been this year, one would think that would be all they need.

14. The Following User High Fived Krugan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Does it really matter? Most I've read have the BRONCOS losing to the Patriots regardless who's at QB. Kubiak won't be able to play conservative against the Patriots, if he does, he's already accepted defeat before being defeated. BRONCOS defense won't keep the Patriots from scoring.

Depends.

If Denver can control TOP and play good defense they really dont have to open it up all that much. If the defense doesnt come to play than yes Brock will have to cut it loose and possibly get in a shoot out. I say there's a 98% chance we lose this game and Brock may not look that fantastic this time around considering how good the Pats are and it only being his 2nd game. But, stranger things have happened and we may be able to win it especially being at home but i dont think we will come out trying to sling it right away. I still think ball control will be the gameplan and if things change than the adjustments will be made.

I keep hearing how bad the *Patriot defense is but they've allowed less points than any defense in the league. I hope to hell Manning doesn't play. I would be extremely disappointed.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Depends.

If Denver can control TOP and play good defense they really dont have to open it up all that much. If the defense doesnt come to play than yes Brock will have to cut it loose and possibly get in a shoot out. I say there's a 98% chance we lose this game and Brock may not look that fantastic this time around considering how good the Pats are and it only being his 2nd game. But, stranger things have happened and we may be able to win it especially being at home but i dont think we will come out trying to sling it right away. I still think ball control will be the gameplan and if things change than the adjustments will be made.
    I'd be shocked if the BRONCOS can play a TOP game with the Patriots. They move up and down the field quick, and score quick. BRONCOS No Fly Zone will definitely be tested. BRONCOS can't afford to be playing catch up.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I keep hearing how bad the *Patriot defense is but they've allowed less points than any defense in the league. I hope to hell Manning doesn't play. I would be extremely disappointed.
    Manning won't play. I'd be shocked he can come back from that foot injury that quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post

I completely agree. A coach has to know his team's win condition going into the game. You can't beat New England by being conservative.

Against the Bears, you can get away with punting and letting Jay Cutler serve up a juicy INT on his own side of the field. Brady won't do that.

If Denver starts Manning again this season, outside of an injury to Brock, then it would be a mistake. Brock should be the starter here on out, barring an injury.

21. The Following 7 Users High Fived Mike For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by I Eat Staples View Post
    I completely agree. A coach has to know his team's win condition going into the game. You can't beat New England by being conservative.

Against the Bears, you can get away with punting and letting Jay Cutler serve up a juicy INT on his own side of the field. Brady won't do that.
    The good news is the Patriots Oline is not as good as the Bears and Brady has been sacked just 2 times less than our QB's so that should bold well with our pass rush.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information