Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zack Greinke gives up $71 million, becomes free agent again

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Zack Greinke gives up $71 million, becomes free agent again

NEW YORK — Pitcher Zack Greinke has opted out of the final three years of his contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers, giving up a guaranteed $71 million to become a free agent again.

Greinke was among 12 additional players who became free agents, the Major League Baseball Players Association said Wednesday, raising the total to 151.

The 32-year-old right-hander was 19-3 with a major league-best 1.66 ERA this season, when he struck out 200 in 222 2-3 innings.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci...ee-agent-again

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Hey Zack, the Rocky mountains are beautiful.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Hey Zack, the Rocky mountains are beautiful.
    I actually kind of expect him to sign with a smaller market if he can get anything close to market value.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I actually kind of expect him to sign with a smaller market if he can get anything close to market value.
    He just opted out of a deal that pays him $24 mil / year, which means he must feel reasonably confident some team is going to may him $25+. I think it's a safe bet that he doesn't end up with a small market team.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

New York or Boston....
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

He just opted out of a deal that pays him $24 mil / year, which means he must feel reasonably confident some team is going to may him $25+. I think it's a safe bet that he doesn't end up with a small market team.
    Maybe. He's a different dude. He doesn't like the spotlight of the big markets. I think that's as big of a factor in his decision to opt out as anything.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Maybe. He's a different dude. He doesn't like the spotlight of the big markets. I think that's as big of a factor in his decision to opt out as anything.
    I think you are naive if you think his motivation was anything other than landing more than $24mil/yr coming off a career year.

Welcome to the A's.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I think you are naive if you think his motivation was anything other than landing more than $24mil/yr coming off a career year.
    I guess we'll find out. I didn't mean to suggest he was going to take peanuts to go pitch in Pittsburgh, but I think he'd opt for $22 mill a year in Seattle, or something like that.

St. Louis or Chicago wouldn't surprise me.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I guess we'll find out. I didn't mean to suggest he was going to take peanuts to go pitch in Pittsburgh, but I think he'd opt for $22 mill a year in Seattle, or something like that.

St. Louis or Chicago wouldn't surprise me.
    Right - but I am saying he is not going to take a penny less than $24 million, because why wouldn't you just stay in SoCal and make heaps of money unless you were reasonably confident that someone else was prepared to pay you more...

You could be right - but I'm thinking it's the usual suspects - Boston, NY, maybe Chicago or Stl for north of $25mil/yr.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Right - but I am saying he is not going to take a penny less than $24 million, because why wouldn't you just stay in SoCal and make heaps of money unless you were reasonably confident that someone else was prepared to pay you more...

You could be right - but I'm thinking it's the usual suspects - Boston, NY, maybe Chicago or Stl for north of $25mil/yr.
    Anyone else, and I would agree 100 percent.

I would love to say Toronto but not now that Shapiro is there building Cleveland North.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Adopted Bronco:

I think that USED to be the case with Greinke, but his last few years have all been in L.A. and he's done well. Sure...he may still not "like" the big city, but I dont think he'll have any problem finding someone to give him a deal exceeding the 71k he turned down.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    ........ the 71k he turned down.
    It was a bit more than that.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

I wonder if he would like to join Mattingly in Miami?

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information