Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Will Football (Literally) Die As It Was Born?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

So many words, and even some numbers..........
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Like people arguing 12.9%>13.1%? Pretending ratings only track adult natives? Denying that national advertisers cancelled network contracts over Ray Rice?

Those aren't opinions or perspectives: They ARE physical reality; the "cold hard football facts," if you like. Or if you don't; you can IGNORE reality, but it will return the favor.
    Joel, they gained 2.2 million viewers. The TV ratings have 19 of the 20 top shows as the NFL. Any advertisers canceled were immediately replaced by other companies standing in line to get a commercial during an NFL game.

Sorry, but just like your football analysis, statistical "evidence" doesn't tell the whole story.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	7993

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...metime/348433/

Some people live in an alternate universe.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Just a quick parting shot:

More and more people are moving away from traditional TV suppliers (i.e. satellite or cable providers) and streaming games and other content from "illegal" sources. Take a look at this site alone. How many people here seek out streaming options to watch the Broncos' games?
    Last edited by GEM; 11-04-2015 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Deleted personal attack.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Here's the only number that matters in terms of television coverage: $2.55 Billion in revenue per year through the year 2022.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

6. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

So many words.......
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Joel, they gained 2.2 million viewers.
    And the US gained 2.4 million: Is that more than 2.2 million?

The TV ratings have 19 of the 20 top shows as the NFL.
    The NFL was ALREADY on top though; SHRINKING shares are a bad thing even if they just cut into a huge lead. Remember when the US had the largest GDP by a huge margin? Now it's 2nd to the EU, and will soon be THIRD behind the EU and China unless it stops coasting on its laurels and resumes actual progress. Perhaps it's no surprise Americas new national pasttime is similarly fading amid the same delusional fixation on PAST glorys briefly lingering legacy.

Some people live in an alternate universe.
    Some people prefer pleasant falsehoods enabling indolence rather than harsh truths demanding effort and change.

Sorry, but just like your football analysis, statistical "evidence" doesn't tell the whole story.
    The NFLs slice of the US viewing pie has SHRUNK in the past 5 years, NOT grown: Why do you trust Nielsen when they tell you what you want to hear, but dispute them when they say the opposite? Nielsen says ratings are higher than last year, when they were higher than the year before, which is trueNielsen ALSO says ALL THREE NFL SEASONS HAD LOWER RATINGS THAN 2011. Recovery=/=progress, and doesn't change the physical reality that Sunday Night Football Ratings peaked in 2011.

Just a quick parting shot:

More and more people are moving away from traditional TV suppliers (i.e. satellite or cable providers) and streaming games and other content from "illegal" sources. Take a look at this site alone. How many people here seek out streaming options to watch the Broncos' games?
    How much money do the NFL, networks and advertisers make off pirate streams, Mr. Personal Attack? Those only REDUCE advertiser (and so network) incentive to tolerate and associate with all the NFL scandals that have gotten the Commissioner subpoenaed in THREE DIFFERENT TRIALS! Further, pirate streams are ALSO available for MOST OTHER network shows, so an ebbing tide sinks all ships: It doesn't effect the NFL any more than anyone, so its smaller percentage of all viewers remains just that.

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Here's the only number that matters in terms of television coverage: $2.55 Billion in revenue per year through the year 2022.
    Ah, well, far be it from me to dispute PROJECTED FUTURE numbers with CONCRETE PAST ones; presumably you believe all 2022 projections of federal revenue and federal deficits, too? Even though they vary wildly depending on whose partys they are?

No one know what NFL ratings or ad revenue will be in 2016, let alone 2022. What we DO know is that the numbers peaked before and just after the lockout and have only recently bounced back to around that level, let alone SURPASSED it. $2˝ billion is a lot of money, even for the NFL: But if the NFL were content with FLAT billion dollar profits it wouldn't turn the field pink Ľ of every year and bombard us with Play60 ads while trying to downplay the OTHER billion dollars it'll have to GIVE UP to avoid a CTE trial.

Know what else the NFL'll do no later than 2018? Play AT LEAST 6 gms/year in the UK and possibly send the Pro Bowl to Brazil. Maybe ya'll think a shrinking largest piece of a growing pie is enough, but the NFL clearly doesn't, because it's doing everthing it can think of in (its warped way) to expand its large-but-shrinking share.
    Last edited by GEM; 11-04-2015 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Cleaned up quote.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The television contract isn't projected. It's signed.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

10. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Just as in other football discussions, kool-aid drinkers need to stop cherry-picking a few facts but ignoring many inconvenient ones, especially high profile ones and league response to them. If SOP is working SO well, why is the NFL changing the game SO radically in SO MANY ways?
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

But but but... that's not a statistic! Some people ignore reality.

So were contracts national advertisers opted out of over Ray Rice. And while they were replaced, prominently reduced demand didn't replace them at the SAME PRICE. NBC and ABC signed a six-year contract on The Baseball Network, too: BOTH quit after ONE year $95 million LOSS, still better than CBS' $5000 million LOSS riding out the previous four-year exclusive MLB deal. The Baseball Network ultimately devolved into a cut rate ESPN showing only selected regional games instead of the nearly 5000/yr planned.

But but but... that's not a statistic! Some people ignore reality.
    Yes: Ignoring statistics=accepting reality; "don't confuse me with facts!" Except convenient ones: THOSE are gospel, even while ignoring inconvenient ones from the SAME SOURCE. Don't let PHYSICAL OCCURRENCES "opinions" shake what you FEEL in your heart to be "fact." So why's Goodell keep changing so much of what's working so well?
    Last edited by Joel; 11-03-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Comparing the MLB to the NFL is asinine. They aren't even on the same ballpark in terms of viewership, let alone planet.

Comparing the MLB to the NFL is asinine. They aren't even on the same ballpark in terms of viewership, let alone planet.
    I'm not comparing the games, but comparing network sports contracts as if they were written in stone. They're not, as the Ray Rice fiasco proved about football specifically: The networks didn't drop out, but many of their ADVERTISERS (i.e. the place they make up the billions they pay the NFL for broadcast rights) did. And contracts didn't stop them, because PLAYERS aren't the only NFL affiliates whose contracts have a morals clause.

We can compare the NFL to MLB in one critical way though: Once upon a time, any suggestion MLB could be replaced as "national pasttime" was laughable. "Stuff happens." Once again: If the NFLs MO is working SO well, why does Goodell keep changing football SO much in SO MANY ways? Just likes to needlessly risk screwing up perfection?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Joel, I want to specifically know which advertisers dropped their sponsorship of NFL broadcasts over Ray Rice.

And not 10 billion words. A list of the advertisers.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information