Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Broncos Rod Smith, Plummer, McCaffrey talk about what is and could be

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Former Broncos Rod Smith, Plummer, McCaffrey talk about what is and could be

Two undefeated teams. Two of the game's top quarterbacks.

It's a matchup primed for television and debates.

But Sunday's matchup between the 6-0 Broncos and 6-0 Packers is just another, according former Broncos receivers Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey and former quarterback Jake Plummer.

The three, who joined a roundtable with The Denver Post at the Broncos' practice facility Wednesday, spoke candidly about their expectations for their former team Sunday. They spoke candidly about the criticism being thrown at quarterback Peyton Manning and the offense. They spoke about their experiences, as players and now spectators.

The noise, they say, is unrelenting. But it's often misdirected.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...mccaffrey-talk

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Former Broncos Rod Smith, Plummer, McCaffrey....
    "One of these things is not like the others, one of these things does NOT belong." Sundays game won't be like SB XXXII either. I wish I could doubt that, but it's just not possible: Our LINE is almost the exact opposite of what it was then, and Elway and Davis could do no better with this group than Manning and Anderson/Hillman/NextManup can.

Oh, and screw Plummers
    Yeah, they're not blowing teams out, but as a fan, I don't want to watch that.
    Yeah, as a fan of the SPORT I want a suspenseful unpredictable game—IF (and ONLY if) I don't CARE who wins; as a fan of any team IN the game, I want us to blow out the opponents so fast and badly both sides bench all starters by the second quarter: Then I can stop worrying about the win and start simply ENJOYING it. That's part of what made the '98 season so much fun: From the start, the sole uncertainty was whether and which records would fall. Super Bowl XXXII was more fun AFTER the fact, but DURING the games, SB XXXIII was far more fun, because the outcome was never in doubt, and Elway had already driven a stake through his demons heart.

Varying degrees of loyalty to four teams in as many divisions means there are very few games where I'm genuinely indifferent to the outcome (unless the Broncos, Texans, Cowboys or Vikings are playing, I usually root for a tie: It's the only way NOBODY I loathe wins.) Plummer just reminded us (yet again) he was never truly a Bronco, only a sellsword; not a DENVER fan, just a FOOTBALL fan (except he turned his back on the game, too.)
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. —Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I freaking love Jake Plummer.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

5. The Following 10 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Don't talk shit about Plummer..Dude got freakin shafted by Shanny. Shit just went downhill after he got benched for the little bitch, Cutler.

7. The Following 9 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Default We benched Plummer for Cutler the game BEFORE we DRAFTED Cutler?

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Don't talk shit about Plummer..Dude got freakin shafted by Shanny. Shit just went downhill after he got benched for the little bitch, Cutler.
    FOUR turnovers. At home. Against a wildcard team. With Lepsis and Nalen protecting him. And without Lelies phantom end zone PI on a 40 yd Hail Mary and Champs 100+ yd Int, we don't even get THAT far: That's a 17+ pt swing in a game we won by 10. Drafting Cutler was the EFFECT, not CAUSE; don't put the cart before the Bronco.

Plummer had the talent to become an elite QB, but starting out with the perennially awful Cards put him in permanent panic mode any and every time he had to make a play rather than just manage a game. Like so many QBs before and since. Including Cutler following in the harried and hurried footsteps of Grossman and Orton.

This, btw, is why throwing a QB with NO NFL starts out there behind a patchwork rebuilt line would be the worst thing possible for his career, and team.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. —Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    FOUR turnovers. At home. Against a wildcard team. With Lepsis and Nalen protecting him. And without Lelies phantom end zone PI on a 40 yd Hail Mary and Champs 100+ yd Int, we don't even get THAT far: That's a 17+ pt swing in a game we won by 10. Drafting Cutler was the EFFECT, not CAUSE; don't put the cart before the Bronco.

Plummer had the talent to become an elite QB, but starting out with the perennially awful Cards put him in permanent panic mode any and every time he had to make a play rather than just manage a game. Like so many QBs before and since. Including Cutler following in the harried and hurried footsteps of Grossman and Orton.

This, btw, is why throwing a QB with NO NFL starts out there behind a patchwork rebuilt line would be the worst thing possible for his career, and team.
    Shut the **** up.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Shut the **** up.
    I am curious as to what part of that you disagreed with?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Shut the **** up.
    I don't care about his first paragraph, but the rest was pretty spot on.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

13. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

But you can test to where you are relative to other difficult opponents, and this game coming up against Green Bay is going to be their biggest test of the year — first team with a winning record, they're undefeated.
    Yep.

Adopted Bronco:
    Terrell Davis #30

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Cutler is a little bitch, with a bad attitude, and as he says, a stronger arm then Elway!

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I am curious as to what part of that you disagreed with?
    It has nothing to do with him having an opinion of this team, 10 years after that junk. Joel is trying to discredit his opinion by discrediting his play. It's petty and dumb.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Plummer did some very good things while here in Denver. Until that little bitch Cutler came along, anyway.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Plummr did some good things and some bad things. Such is the life of a NFL QB.

20. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

It has nothing to do with him having an opinion of this team, 10 years after that junk. Joel is trying to discredit his opinion by discrediting his play. It's petty and dumb.
    No, I impugned his opinion by saying a teams genuine fans prefer blowing out opponents, because tight unpredictable games are only entertaining if we don't care who wins.

Someone ELSE responded by claiming Plummer the player "got shafted" and the team went downhill when he was benched, so THEN I addressed his play (i.e. because someone ELSE raised the topic) to point out the team ALREADY going downhill BEFORE he was benched was why we drafted Cutler. Let's not forget that 2006 Plummer in the pocket was as much a fainting goat as Orton later, with turnovers into the bargain. Whatever Cutler was or wasn't doesn't make Plummer any better; it's not either/or.

I agree that's irrelevant to his opinion of our games, but Plummer saying being "a fan" means he doesn't want us blowing out people invites the question of WHOSE fan he is. Eddie earlier noted (with Rods concurrence) the SB's the only "statement" that matters or lasts, a good point that underscores another: Great teams don't make statements with narrow home wins vs. good teams; they're EXPECTED to win at home. I'd rather blow out 16 teams a year than win 16 squeakers; settles all questions and helps me sleep.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Joel. Don't blame Carol for your transgressions. She said nothing about his play. You started in on that and people were only replying to you. I'm not reading that entire damn thing.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information