Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: At what point does Manning become more of a detriment to this team?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default At what point does Manning become more of a detriment to this team?

We actually had a semblance of a running game, the defense played very well but then two very bad Int's allowed the Vikings back into the game. I mean, dont get me wrong. Im happy being 4-0 but i start to get really nervous everytime Manning begins to pass the ball because i just dont know what we are going to get out of it. Something is still going on there, is anyone else concerned about this?

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

When we give him todays protection and run support two weeks straight but he's no better either time. He was terrible @NE in 2013, too, but the other 15 games combined for the best season passing stats EVER. He was terrible most of the first two months of 2012, then turned 28-0 into 39-28 in a divisional road game and never looked back again. The question is whether passes like the one he stepped into and rifled so it was caught on the run and advanced to Minnesotas red zone to start the second half are the trend, and the 2 Ints the anomaly, or the other way 'round. If the line congeals, we'll know soon.

It's worth noting our first or second drive v. Minnesota essentially ended because they sent yet another A Gap blitz and he rushed an off target throw deep over the middle, clearly not expecting Hillman to pick up the free rusher: Hillman DID pick him up, and Manning was never touched, but the way our line's been for so long, would YOU have expected that in his place? It's still possible that once he KNOWS he can count on his line, we can count on him again; it's certainly much harder for him to cover them while still learing Kubiaks playbook with half practices rather than with reflexive hot reads out of his OWN.
    Last edited by Joel; 10-04-2015 at 07:50 PM.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

History shows us that he doesn't get better as the season goes on. If this is the best Manning has left, Denver is in trouble. 4-0 is great but I still don't feel good about this team other than the defense and kicking game.

5. The Following 6 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

I think we're stuck riding Manning through the season whether we like it or not. Maybe Manning gets "hurt" and Oz steps in so we can see what we have with him. Those picks were pretty bad though even if MN has a good defense.
    In Elway We Trust

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived CrazyHorse For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    When we give him todays protection and run support two weeks straight but he's no better either time. He was terrible @NE in 2013, too, but the other 15 games combined for the best season passing stats EVER. He was terrible most of the first two months of 2012, then turned 28-0 into 39-28 in a divisional road game and never looked back again. The question is whether passes like the one he stepped into and rifled so it was caught on the run and advanced to Minnesotas red zone to start the second half are the trend, and the 2 Ints the anomaly, or the other way 'round. If the line congeals, we'll know soon.
    I think the past few games have shown it's a trend. Maybe he shakes it off and destroys the Raiders. Let's hope so. I'm still holding out hope that it's him adjusting to the new offense. I thought it would take around 6 games.
    In Elway We Trust

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

he needs his white slot wr.

Sign Collie or Welker.

10. The Following User High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post

Sign Collie or Welker.
    Collie. Welker is one hit from being in a wheel chair.
    In Elway We Trust

Not a lot left in the tank for Peyton.

He just has to stop throwing picks. We don't need traditional Peyton numbers when we have this defense, especially if we start to run it a little better. He just has to make some plays on 3rd downs and play smart football. If he stops trying to do too much and gets rid of the mistakes, he'll be fine.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived I Eat Staples For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse View Post
    I think we're stuck riding Manning through the season whether we like it or not. Maybe Manning gets "hurt" and Oz steps in so we can see what we have with him. Those picks were pretty bad though even if MN has a good defense.
    Yea, the first one was a poor read and the second one was a clear overthrow. I just hate that they came at the worst times when the defense had forced the Minny offense off the field. I can live with the offense just being sluggish, but the turnovers just put way too much pressure on the defense.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by I Eat Staples View Post
    Not a lot left in the tank for Peyton.

He just has to stop throwing picks. We don't need traditional Peyton numbers when we have this defense, especially if we start to run it a little better. He just has to make some plays on 3rd downs and play smart football. If he stops trying to do too much and gets rid of the mistakes, he'll be fine.
    Game manager Peyton. Hey, it won Brady 3 Super Bowls.
    In Elway We Trust

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I think we are at that point. He's probably still a marginally better option than Brock (although who knows at this point) but I think we are now winning games in spite of him. He wasn't really pressured all that badly today and he still was just wildly inaccurate. Even many of his completions were great catches on throws that were slightly off.

It seems like at some point the other shoe is going to drop and the D won't be able to pull our asses out of the fire every week. I guess we will see.

17. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

I felt a lot better after the Lions game than I do about the Vikings game.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post

Sign Collie or Welker.
    Collie. Welker is one hit from being in a wheel chair.

Dramatic much
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

20. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

I think the past few games have shown it's a trend. Maybe he shakes it off and destroys the Raiders. Let's hope so.
    The protection was terrible the first two games (against a ton of elite pass rushers) and little better @Detroit, while the running was the worst I've ever seen. Seriously, a 2.6 yd SEASON rushing average?

That let every team tee off on Manning to the exclusion of all other irrelevancies (i.e. our pitiful running game,) either by sending the house every down, dropping 6-7 guys just behind the line to cover short routes, or both. Few QBs could succeed at any age, even with an unfused spine and a cheetahs speed and agility. Today he had time and (eventually) good enough running we didn't live in 2nd and 11 or 3rd and 8: He had a lot of great throws, but also still had too many awful ones, two of which nearly cost us the game despite everything else going right.

My question is whether that's just because of age or partly because he doesn't yet trust the line to be there for him consistently, since it was so consistently MIA so long. So next week's pretty huge, IMHO.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

22. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Dramatic much
    Yes, hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    The protection was terrible the first two games (against a ton of elite pass rushers) and little better @Detroit, while the running was the worst I've ever seen. Seriously, a 2.6 yd SEASON rushing average?

That let every team tee off on Manning to the exclusion of all other irrelevancies (i.e. our pitiful running game,) either by sending the house every down, dropping 6-7 guys just behind the line to cover short routes, or both. Few QBs could succeed at any age, even with an unfused spine and a cheetahs speed and agility. Today he had time and (eventually) good enough running we didn't live in 2nd and 11 or 3rd and 8: He had a lot of great throws, but also still had too many awful ones, two of which nearly cost us the game despite everything else going right.

My question is whether that's just because of age or partly because he doesn't yet trust the line to be there for him consistently, since it was so consistently MIA so long. So next week's pretty huge, IMHO.
    He faces Kahlil Mack and Aldon Smith. Our offense line sucked in the Super Bowl and he had the same type of game he's having now.
    In Elway We Trust

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information