Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Clady.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Maybe; extensions don't really change cap hits, only "extend" them, but sometimes that's good enough since it also effectively extends the cap space available. Given Cladys age, an extension might even work out for everyone: A reasonable 4-3 year deal would likely cover him until retirement. But, if he's never himself again, wouldn't an extension also mean more years of dead money after we released him?
    Of course extensions help cap hits, its why they are given most of the time... to eleviate the cap number. Give guaranteed money up front, and extend the years.. hence distributing the money over a longer period of time, thus, lowering the cap number.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Of course extensions help cap hits, its why they are given most of the time... to eleviate the cap number. Give guaranteed money up front, and extend the years.. hence distributing the money over a longer period of time, thus, lowering the cap number.
    Only ones that don't are extension to rookies contracta.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    Only ones that don't are extension to rookies contracta.
    Why would that be? I don't doubt you I'm just curious because what if the player is in the last year of his contract?

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    Look at how Elway does contracts, guarentees are front loaded with later years not guaranteed. Restructures with extentions do change cap hits, not just a normal extension.
    As Rav says, that's how EVERYONE restructures, and WHY; Elway didn't invent it (though his own final restructure did show him some errors to avoid.) But every dime a player actually gets counts against the cap, whether bonus, salary or incentive, over 1 year or 10. $10 million=$10 million whether a big single-year whammy or a moderate one for two or three.

When Manning was contracted for $20 million this year we could've restructured to a $1 million annual hit: All we had to do was extend him through 2035. I'm not sure the CBA permits that, but we don't want a cap hit for anyone decades after he retires, because: Extensions don't change cap hits, only "extend" them. Delay them, if you like; whatever we call it, $10 million=$10 million. It's like saving Earth from a huge asteroid by blowing it into little pieces: All that means is the exact same amount of mass hits the planet in many small pieces instead of one big one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Don't be obstuse; that only lowers the cap number for A year, at the cost of increasing it for MULTIPLE future ones. In other words, less cap space to re-sign guys like Sly, Roby and Ray when their rookie contracts expire, just so we can pay Clady the $10 million we promised next year without the ledger reflecting that. Again, there's a reason teams don't blow their next DECADE of cap space paying a whole roster of Pro Bowlers a kings ransom for a couple years but "officially" only paying the veteran minimum.

Sorry I didn't spell out what all three of us already knew, but I'm told that's verbose and condescending. On the other hand, when I take it for granted that people know something they tend to bring it up as something I "ignored" or don't know. Heads you win, tails I lose; always a pleasure, fellas.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information