Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Brees

Quote Originally Posted by Canmore View Post
    Franchise QB's go for $20 mil.
    That number's thrown around a lot, but only TWO QBs (i.e. Brees and Rivers) get it. Spotrac has Matt Ryan at $19½ mil, close enough to call him a third, but even so: $20 million isn't just franchise QB money; it's ELITE QB money. Rodgers is the games best, but "only" making $18¼ mil this year; Mannings pay cut to $17½ mil still leaves him 6th overall. Dalton, Palmer and Wilson are making <$10 mil (even after Wilsons new contract, which some here say overvalues him.) Those guys may not be elite, but few would dispute they're franchise QBs, and ALL THREE COMBINED get $24 million this year.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/quarterback/

If we want another HoFer, yeah, expect to pay Brees $20 mil (and hope NO releases him because he's 1) the highest paid QB, 2) 37 and 3) coming off a bad injury; those aren't great arguments for ANYONE to pay him $20 million/yr.) But it doesn't take a first ballot HoFer to win SBs, especially with a roster like ours; if we re-sign/replace everyone else, pretty much ANY franchise QB could win us a SB or two once Kubiak and Dennison knock the line into shape, because our line was our only real (but critical) weakness.

Now, if we don't think Elway can maintain what he built long enough to develop Oz (or someone) into a franchise QB, finding an adequate placeholder to win a championship while we wait may make sense: That STILL doesn't require a $20 million/yr All Pro; a $10 million game manager can do the job with this team, because he wouldn't have to put it on his back very often, and they could usually carry him. It's not as simple as "HoF QB=SB; no HoF QB=no SB." This isn't Madden nor (other) fantasy football.
    Last edited by Joel; 10-08-2015 at 07:28 PM.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

2. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse View Post
    All things considered if Manning retires this year and the Saints cut Brees as a cap casualty and he's available would you want him?
    1. Drew Brees? Heck yeah!

2. Now, back to reality....the Saints are not cutting Drew Brees. Nopitty-nope.

One year Aaron Rodgers had a cap hit of 20 million and another year, the next year actually, he had a cap hit of one. The way contracts work year to year can be wild.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    One year Aaron Rodgers had a cap hit of 20 million and another year, the next year actually, he had a cap hit of one. The way contracts work year to year can be wild.
    At that price we just trade all of next years picks for Rodgers. If a team can do it for Ricky Williams why not for the best QB in the NFL?
    In Elway We Trust

6. The Following User High Fived CrazyHorse For This Post:

No to drew brees when we have Brock on the roster. Now drafting a guy with talent and upside for insurance would be ideal later in the draft. I'd also consider bringing in Robert Griffin since I believe he will be released.

Quote Originally Posted by Yashahla17 View Post
    No to drew brees when we have Brock on the roster. Now drafting a guy with talent and upside for insurance would be ideal later in the draft. I'd also consider bringing in Robert Griffin since I believe he will be released.
    Jeezus... RG3? He's just aweful.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

9. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Yeah. I'd kick his tyres, I bet he would be a good fit in a kubes offence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Jeezus... RG3? He's just aweful.
    This is true. But maybe just maybe with a coach that can remold him he could be something. Id give him a shot to compete behind brock.

This is true. But maybe just maybe with a coach that can remold him he could be something. Id give him a shot to compete behind brock.
    I just don't want anything to do with is attitude. Let someone else deal with that dude. He's never goign to be good, anyway.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

I couldn't stand his arrogance and ego aswell . For some reason he thought winning a division his rookie year meant he had arrived and was elite and didn't have to do shit anymore to get better. But ohh the big slices of humble pie he's ate since then If he hasn't changed after being garbage and demoted to 3rd string then he'll never get it right mentally.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I heard chazoe wants us to get Kaepernick.

Brees is old and small and has shoulder problems again. Plus he's always played in a wide open Joe Tiller type offense, I don't know if that meshs with what Elway and Kubiak are trying to do here with a run dominated zone blocking scheme offense and dominant defense. One year rental might not be bad but don't sign him to anything long term as that could cripple the franchise if Brees falls apart.

RG3 is done. He's only good when he can run around or in the read option but then he's built like a toothpick so if he runs around he gets injured. Basically he's unusable.

There was a lot of media buzz about RG3, and he was a first round pick. Plus...only 6'2!

18. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There was a lot of media buzz about RG3, and he was a first round pick. Plus...only 6'2!
    I'm shocked you forgot to mention all the buzz around his 4.4 forty.

20. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information