Page 64 of 223 FirstFirst ... 14 54 62 63 64 65 66 74 114 164 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 NFL Other Games Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I'm totally fine with refs not throwing a flag if the penalty doesn't have any real impact on the play. For example, if a QB throws to the left side, and a defender on the other side of the field pushes a WR, that is technically pass interference. But since that kind of penalty had no impact on the play, I'm fine with the no-call.

There wasn't a Lion within 5 yards of Wright. I supposed there is some astronomical chance he could have flubbed the ball while trying to recover, and flubbed it badly enough that a player 5 yards away could have gotten to the ball, but I would put those chances between slim and none.

It would be an entirely different story if a Lion was about to jump on the ball, and Wright swatted it away at the last second, but that's not what happened.

I know refs aren't supposed to keep the flag in their pocket if they see a penalty, but as a fan who likes to see the correct outcome to the game, I am TOTALLY ok with the ref not using his flag there to decide the outcome.
    There's about the same chance of Wright flubbing the recovery to the benefit of the lions as there was in a forced fumble in at the one yard line that goes out the back of the end zone. Except that actually happened.

Again, you keep making the assumption that it would not have affected the play. Chances are you are right. But chances are that Calvin scores on that play too, and that didn't happen.

The bottom line is that Wright illegally affected the play and we simply cannot know the outcome had he not done so. Your PI non-call illustration is not the same thing, since that happened no where near the play. This non-call WAS the play.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    What does that even mean? Overt? Was he being sneaky enough that it's not a penalty?
    Shades of the Holy Roller: As long as they don't admit intent till AFTER the game, it's fine. That's the one part of that rule I dislike, because it forces refs to make a judgement call rather than simply apply the rule. Sometimes that's unavoidably in the nature of their job, but when it CAN be avoided it always SHOULD, because the outcome of games shouldn't be a matter of subjective opinion. Especially not the opinions of people who have such an awful track record of applying BAD judgement even when the rules are so crystal clear they require no judgement, only enforcement.

As to whether that particular act was accidental and/or (as Wright claims) ignorant:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-rule-in-2013/

It's been all of two years since Seattle made an illegal bat (which the refs DID flag, but penalized improperly) and K.J. Wright was present for that memorable moment, so he can't credibly claim ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    From what i read this morning there was nothing that could of been done because its an official judgement call and not review-able. At least according to the head of officiating.
    Technically, it was a turnover, and ALL turnovers are supposed to be AUTOMATICALLY reviewed in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    That was a great article. The nfl rulebook has become like the irs tax code. Its gotten ridiculous and the constant penalty flags are hurting the game. The NFL is just getting too damn big for its own good.
    While that may be GENERALLY true, it wasn't the problem here, because deliberately batting balls has been illegal for decades. It was illegal during the Holy Roller, which was known well enough every Raider involved was very careful their actions didn't look deliberate, from Stablers intentional fumble to Casper diving on the ball as if trying to recover it, even though he later admitted he was ONLY trying to bat it into the end zone because he knew he'd have been immediately touched down and lost the game if he HAD recovered it. They got away with it SOLELY because the refs said the bats were accidental.

Yes, it was punched out by Cam Chancellor toward the back of the endzone when Calvin was on the 1 yard line diving for the endzone. Wright ran and batted the ball which was still in the air out of the back of the endzone.

It wasn't a bad call, it was case of all the refs on the field either not knowing the rule or choosing to ignore it. Either is bad.
    That's the definition of a bad call, but also why it's definitely not OK, especially when it decides a game.

Meanwhile, Seattle remains the high tech methodical version of the '70s Raiders.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Technically, it was a turnover, and ALL turnovers are supposed to be AUTOMATICALLY reviewed in NY.
    Turnovers are, but not judgement calls which is what it was regarding Wright's batting of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Turnovers are, but not judgement calls which is what it was regarding Wright's batting of the ball.
    Yes, but reviewing the turnover play necessarily includes its termination (i.e. when Wright batted the ball.) This is actually a good example of WHY refs review the whole play: The bat nullifies the turnover.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Colts at Texans tonight in an AFC Suck Division (tm) barnburner that probably won't outdraw the Astros in the Houston tv market.

Colts to start Andrew Luck (shoulder) or Matt Hasselbeck (virus) or Josh Johnson (just re-signed) or Gary Hogeboom or Art Schlichter. Gametime decision.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

It's been widely reported that Luck will not start and that Hasselbeck would. Has that changed?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

It's been widely reported that Luck will not start and that Hasselbeck would. Has that changed?
    No. Doesn't matter. Houston is awful on both sides of the ball.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Pretty good game for such crappy teams.
    In Elway We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    No. Doesn't matter. Houston is awful on both sides of the ball.
    Makes on wonder whether Kubiak was the real problem there. Googling Schaub for laughs got some: Wikipedia says his first regular season pass with Oakland was a fake FG, intercepted; Rotoworld says his first camp pass with Baltimore was a pick-six. The Ravens are paying him a flat $1 million and probably feel ripped off.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Adam Schefter Verified account
    ‏@AdamSchefter

Colts' starting QB Matt Hassebleck was in emergency room until 2 am Monday morning, dealing with a virus he's still feeling effects of.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Adam Schefter Verified account ‏@AdamSchefter Colts' starting QB Matt Hassebleck was in emergency room until 2 am Monday morning, dealing with a virus he's still feeling effects of.
    They talked a lot about that before kickoff last night. Insane he was able to start and win.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    They talked a lot about that before kickoff last night. Insane he was able to start and win.
    Played like a boss too. I didn't watch the whole game, but the 4th quarter he was terrific.

Dare I say that this 40 year old is better than some 39 year old players?

15. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post

Played like a boss too. I didn't watch the whole game, but the 4th quarter he was terrific.

Oh no didint (attempt at slang)

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Joe a bit frisky and stirring the pot.... lol

18. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Yeah.. for a game. PLUS, the amount of time Hasselback has sat on the bench has saved his body a lot of wear-n-tear for sure!
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

20. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information